Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 04:09 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,653,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
If your husband will be commuting to Albany for work on a daily basis, then West Stockbridge is a more viable alternative than Great Barrington, since West Stockbridge is geographically closer to Albany and situated on the Massachusetts Turnpike. I would imagine the likelihood of hitting a deer or another wild animal while driving on the Turnpike is lower than it would be on U.S. Route 7 or any of the other narrow, winding country roads in the area. However, both Great Barrington and West Stockbridge offer different ambiances, so you and your husband will need to spend at least one full day in each town to determine which one would be a better fit for you. My best advice would be to go with your "gut instinct."

If you and your husband are open-minded to living in other Berkshire County towns, I recommend that you investigate my personal favorite of Lenox. Although I am a Rhode Island native and slightly partial to my home state, I am convinced the most "storybook" New England town is, without a glimmer of doubt, Lenox. And Williamstown, in northwestern corner of Berkshire County/Massachusetts, is first runner-up.
Manchester and Dorset Vermont are pretty nice as is Woodstock Vermont.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2019, 08:22 AM

61 posts, read 73,353 times
I live in the Berkshires for peace & quiet but especially lack of traffic. So, between the two, I'd pick West Stockbridge. GB is full of tourists especially in the summer. But that said, it's pretty true for most desirable towns in the Berkshires.

I've lived in Hancock and Williamstown and commuted daily to Albany for many years. I still work for the same company but I now work from home. It's also about where around Albany he works. I personally hated commuting on 90 and much preferred the secondary roads. I normally drove 43 with some additional shortcuts. However, in the winter it can be hairy and I often worked from home on bad days or left early.

I've always found southern Berkshire county has a different feel than Northern. I've always prefer northern because I like the proximity to Vermont, the Adirondacks, Whites etc. Southern is better for getting to NYC. Boston is the same either way although southern will use 90 while northern direct route is 2.

I like Williamstown for the college, Clark Art, theater festival and small town feel even though the town is basically owned by the college. That has good and bad aspects but you know the place won't become a dump.

You want to check taxes although they will likely be lower than NY which has the separate school tax. Hancock MA has the lowest taxes in the state if that is important to you.

I never really minded commuting and with the Albany traffic patterns I always felt my co-workers from Clifton Park had a longer and more anxiety producing commute than I did.

Old 06-27-2019, 05:20 PM

885 posts, read 1,166,414 times
Thanks everyone. We are taking rides out to the Berkshires to look around. Tired of paying $8K for property taxes...and so pay even more. We are both native NY'ers...originally from Long Island and just "naturally" moved upstate with our jobs. We still have time, so we will be looking into everything we can. Keep the info/ advice coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts