Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 10:36 AM

21 posts, read 29,525 times

Advertisements

Hi all - my husband and I are considering relocating to Boston from Orlando, FL. We are originally from Pennsylvania so the weather isn’t a concern for us, I’m looking forward to enjoying the seasons again

We are primarily looking at the Metrowest area (might consider north too) out as far as Sherborn (or wherever would be within a 50 minutes commute to Back Bay where he would be working) and could go up to $850k. I realize that isn’t much but I’ve been seen some decent listings at that price point. We have 3 young children with a fourth on the way, but I am a stay at home mom so childcare costs aren’t a factor. Preschool does seem pricey in many areas though. .

My husband will be looking at a base salary around $250k with a good signing bonus and good annual bonus potential. We have moved several times for his job in the past few years, however, and will not have much in terms of a downpayment if we buy this summer... like 5%. I am a real estate agent here in Florida and that isn’t uncommon here, though not ideal. We can handle the monthly payments and have excellent credit so I’m okay with that downpayment, I would just like insight on whether that will significantly hamper our offers around Boston if we offer close to full list price and we are preapproved.

What towns should we focus on that would offer great schools and a decent commute to Back Bay either by public transportation or car?

Do any highly rated public elementary schools offer foreign languages or an IB program? Florida schools aren’t great, but my oldest son just finished kindergarten at the top elementary school in the state and they were an IB primary years programme with Spanish starting in K. I will miss that if we can’t find something similar, but I understand Mass schools are some of the best in the country.

Thank you for any insight you can share!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2019, 10:46 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
I can't even imagine having concerns like this.

Old 06-12-2019, 11:02 AM

10,012 posts, read 15,659,151 times
Yes, several schools offer Spanish in Kindergarten. I know Sherborn does. Are you planning on getting pre-qualified for a mortgage? I think that would help.

Old 06-12-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Yes, several schools offer Spanish in Kindergarten. I know Sherborn does. Are you planning on getting pre-qualified for a mortgage? I think that would help.
Yes we will definitely get prequalified. My husband has his final interview for this job soon, so it’s certainly not a sure thing. If he gets the offer, I will fly up with him to drive around these areas we’re considering to get a better perspective. I just like to prepare in advance as much as possible. We will find an agent to work with as well, but I like to scope things out myself first.

That’s great to know about Sherborn! Thank you.

Old 06-12-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I can't even imagine having concerns like this.
I’m sorry if my post came across a certain way. I’m just trying to make a good decision with no practical experience or knowledge of Boston and the surrounding areas. It doesn’t seem like these are unusual concerns for the area. But again, my apologies if it sounded snooty.

Old 06-12-2019, 11:44 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,722,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youdontknowjack View Post
Yes we will definitely get prequalified. My husband has his final interview for this job soon, so it’s certainly not a sure thing. If he gets the offer, I will fly up with him to drive around these areas we’re considering to get a better perspective. I just like to prepare in advance as much as possible. We will find an agent to work with as well, but I like to scope things out myself first.

That’s great to know about Sherborn! Thank you.
Really, I think it should be pre-approved, rather than pre-qualified. Anyone can get pre-qualified.

I hate to even say this, based on how many posts this town inspires on this board, but I suggest looking at Natick. The train ride would be 40-50 minutes and the drive would be about as reasonable as you'll get for your price point.

Not sure which, if any schools offer Spanish in elementary. My son's previous school in PA offered it (but it was only about once a week, so I kind of question the efficacy, anyway.) They don't offer it in Newton, although I know there are plenty of families who have their kids in some kind of language lessons outside of school for various languages. So that might be a more common thing around here that you might be able to find if it's really important to you.

Good luck with the move!

Old 06-12-2019, 11:45 AM

8,543 posts, read 14,020,436 times
How much your down payment will impact your home search will depend on what town you end up focusing on. I just put in an offer for a client last week and we didn't get the house because the other buyer was all cash whereas our offer was 50% down. Otherwise, the offers were pretty much the same.

Sherborn typically is a pretty slow market so 5% down probably wouldn't impact you there. In a more competitive market like Natick your down payment will be more of an issue.
Also, if you're thinking of getting your license in MA, I'm happy to chat with you about what it's like to be an agent in this state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youdontknowjack View Post
I’m sorry if my post came across a certain way. I’m just trying to make a good decision with no practical experience or knowledge of Boston and the surrounding areas. It doesn’t seem like these are unusual concerns for the area. But again, my apologies if it sounded snooty.
I was a little surprised by the reaction to your post. It sounds like many other questions we get here. I didn't find it snooty at all.

Old 06-12-2019, 12:05 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post

I was a little surprised by the reaction to your post. It sounds like many other questions we get here. I didn't find it snooty at all.
Didn't say anything about the OP personally, just that I cannot imagine being that wealthy. 850k for housing. 250k salary. "Top" kindergarten. It's not relatable, which is why I said that. This board easily forgets that the median income in our state is not anywhere close to the median income of our little forum here.

Old 06-12-2019, 12:08 PM

18,717 posts, read 33,380,506 times
Nothing snooty about it. Just a situation that is not in the middle of the curve, even for Massachusetts. I wish the OP well in their search for a fine community for their family. I think Sherborn would be lovely, although somewhat rural for having to drive kids everywhere or meet people. How about Concord? More of a coherent town and certainly very good for family and commute (purple line).

Old 06-12-2019, 12:09 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,124,258 times
How much house and yard are you looking for? To add another data point we beat out a cash offer but had to go above list price in Westwood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts