Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 11:38 AM

3 posts, read 8,716 times

Advertisements

Thank you for the replies!

I think ditching the trade in idea might be worth it. I thought it would be easier to leave the car with them but apparently not.

Now I'm having issues with finding out exactly what I need to proceed with the registration in RI.

In RI, before I can register the car, I will need to have a VIN check done at a police station because I'm buying out of state. To legally drive the car in RI, I need a temporary plate. To apply for one, though, you need to bring the title in a fill out the registration form. I won't have the title because the car is being financed...

So how do I legally get a car to a police station for a VIN check if Rhode Island won't let me get a temporary plate?

Am I really looking at having to flatbed this car 60 miles to the police station, and then home in order to even think about starting to register the vehicle? Or see if the dealer will let me take the BMW to the Police Station for the VIN check with their dealer plate. Doubtful.

Calling the VIN Verification Station now to see what they have to say and what they can and cannot accept. Maybe the finance company can fax a copy of the title to them.

EDIT: Okay, so the VIN check station says a copy of the title is fine. That's good news. But I still need to know how to legally get the car home.

Last edited by NTL1991; 07-08-2019 at 12:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2019, 12:00 PM

15,683 posts, read 20,181,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTL1991 View Post
m I really looking at having to flatbed this car 60 miles to the police station, and then home in order to even think about starting to register the vehicle? Or see if the dealer will let me take the BMW to the Police Station for the VIN check with their dealer plate. Doubtful.
I doubt a MA dealer will let you take a vehicle off the lot without being registered. I've never exactly tried though.

Best thing to do is ask the dealer if they've ever sold to anyone in RI and how they dealt with it. I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't willing to do much to help you considering they can probably sell the car next week to someone in state for a lot less work.

Sorry this is turning into a royal PITA to you. You sure you can't find this vehicle closer to you instead?

Old 07-08-2019, 12:05 PM

3 posts, read 8,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I doubt a MA dealer will let you take a vehicle off the lot without being registered. I've never exactly tried though.

Best thing to do is ask the dealer if they've ever sold to anyone in RI and how they dealt with it. I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't willing to do much to help you considering they can probably sell the car next week to someone in state for a lot less work.

Sorry this is turning into a royal PITA to you. You sure you can't find this vehicle closer to you instead?

Hey thanks

The dealer is North of Boston, so I'm sure they don't see many buyers from RI. They aren't really doing much to help out.

I've been looking for the "right" X5 for about a year now. This one fits all my criteria, its unfortunate it's in Mass though.

Old 07-08-2019, 02:12 PM

15,683 posts, read 20,181,855 times
Time for a phone call to a dealer just over the border then. Just tell them that you are considering buying a car there but want to know how they deal with the cross-border sales issue.

Old 07-08-2019, 08:25 PM

9,909 posts, read 15,470,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTL1991 View Post
Hey thanks

The dealer is North of Boston, so I'm sure they don't see many buyers from RI. They aren't really doing much to help out.

I've been looking for the "right" X5 for about a year now. This one fits all my criteria, its unfortunate it's in Mass though.
This is the dealership in Peabody? There aren't many north of Boston.

I guess you are buying a vehicle that has just come off a lease? One of the certified pre-owned with a year warranty? Unless you have oodles of money, please don't. You'll be paying more for the repairs for that car than you would a mortgage. Believe me, I know. Buy a Lexus instead.

My husband has been driving the 5 series for years. At first he leased them, and then started buying the pre-owned ones. I think the dealers will trade vehicles around so if you go to a RI dealership and ask for a X5 they will transfer it there. I know our current one came from Rhode Island because my husband wanted a certain color and they didn't have it locally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts