U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2019, 07:24 AM

4,539 posts, read 13,478,888 times

Advertisements

Curious if the same requirement here in Florida is also routine in other states, specifically interested in MA.

Here when buying a home, before a company will insure the property they require a 4-Point Inspection (the 4 points being HVAC, electrical system, plumbing systems, roof). This inspection is usually done by the same inspector while he/she is doing the usual whole-house inspection, so it's not that big a deal getting it done.

But now, new and different here, is that if a homeowner wants to change insurance companies, the new company requires a 4-Point Inspection of older homes before they will issue a policy (in the case of State Farm, "old" is defined as 10 years or more).

Wondering if anyone in MA who has recently either bought a house or changed insurance companies had to have an inspection done?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2019, 07:53 AM

6,111 posts, read 3,448,900 times
I've changed insurance companies twice in the past 3 years - no inspections required.

Old 07-13-2019, 09:10 AM

530 posts, read 284,862 times
No inspections required.

Old 07-13-2019, 09:17 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
34,098 posts, read 62,011,758 times
State Farm here required a simple outside-only inspection after 20 years. I suppose most people wouldn’t know that since average time to move is 11 years. They are looking for unreported additions, fire hazards, or other lack of maintenance that could cause a claim or higher claim in the future. We were not even home. They sent a letter advising of the inspection, and their person just took photos from the street. Later we got a letter. In our case they claimed we had added a wood stove, but we didn’t. It was just that the gas furnace/water heater vent stack looked sooty but it was just rust. We just had our agent come out and verify it, and since then we replaced that and painted it to match the roof color.

Old 07-13-2019, 12:59 PM

2,205 posts, read 5,954,846 times
I've had an insurance inspector come out when I got a new Master insurance policy for the condo complex. He checked the exterior then came inside to look at the HVAC unit in the basement. Simply told me I should have a fire extinguisher.

Old 07-13-2019, 06:26 PM

122 posts, read 213,704 times
I am buying a house in MA. The realtor had said that some homeowner's policies require inspection. I called my current company American Express via Costco and they did pull up the listing and ask me a few questions but I was able to get a policy without them coming out. They were concerned since the house was older about the chimney, type of siding, electrical. I used the same company for my house in Utah which was new(er) and they asked nothing about the house. In Utah however, they did drive by and make sure we did not have a trampoline about 6 months after we moved in. I guess they have rules of every type of house and state?

Old 07-14-2019, 06:53 AM

81 posts, read 58,801 times
I’ve seen insurance companies do exterior inspections, never seen interior though. They also look at the satellite photos.

Old 07-14-2019, 08:22 AM

4,539 posts, read 13,478,888 times
Thank you everyone for your input! While I can understand that an insurance company would like to have an inkling about the property they are insuring, thus making sense to look via satellite or a drive-by (taking exterior photos), the interior inspection we just had here in Florida seems a bit too much, but it's now the norm.

The inspector was photographing all sink and toilet connections (looking for shut-off valves and condition maybe?), taking pictures of our HVAC systems (did not open them up) and water heater, looking at our electrical panel (I do know that he was looking for the panel's manufacturer to make sure it wasn't one now deemed unsafe such as Challenger and some Zinsco), and getting up on the roof to walk it.

I emailed our agent yesterday asking out of curiosity what exactly would hold up issuing a policy or prevent insurance altogether. I know that in our case the policy issuance is held up until we replace a dozen or so ridgeline shingles that had blown off during the last hurricane. We hadn't gotten around to it since it was just a top layer and the roof wasn't leaking, but now we have to do it - and of course by a licensed roofer even though it's a quick fix we could do ourselves (and we should have - shame on us).

At least this inspection only took a half hour out of my day and $55 out of my wallet. Could have been worse I suppose.

Old 07-14-2019, 06:35 PM

3,176 posts, read 2,923,144 times
In general they only look at the outside here, if at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts