Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 07:24 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Latin, working to middle class, Methuen
I wanted to mention Methuen but I've never been. Wasnt sure if the Latino population was working class poor or middle class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2019, 06:05 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
In Connecticut, it would definitely be Bloomfield and Windsor in the Hartford area. East Hartford is more like lower middle class but is an option.

Metro Boston really doesn't have anything like Bloomfield. Middle class black flight from the Hartford war zone. Anyone from Hartford who makes something of themselves bails out. Unlike metro Boston, the Hartford suburbs are far more affordable. You can afford a starter home in Bloomfield as a married couple on $15/hour jobs. Anywhere you name inside 495 that isn't a war zone is not particularly affordable. A starter house is totally out of reach at that kind of near-minimum wage compensation.

If Portuguese/Azores were considered latino instead of white, much of suburban Massachusetts South Coast would be part of the conversation.

Old 07-15-2019, 06:32 AM

23,542 posts, read 18,693,959 times
Quote:
In Massachusetts

Id recommends Malden and Everett. Lynn is also heavily minority but more of the working class feel. West Lynn has some middle-class blacks and Latinos but my understanding is that is the white side of town.

I have the impression that minority neighborhoods in Lynn=ghetto, and that West Lynn is solidly White.
Quote:
Parts of western Springfield. Parts of Framingham have many African American, Brazilians and Puerto Ricans-probably South Framingham. I've met a couple of middle-class African American families in Springfield and gone to the Black church outt here. Nice little vibe. Maybe parts of Worcester (i dont know). I think Lowell is mostly poor and working-class minorities.

The two parts of Worcester with a substantial amount of AA are Main South and Great Brook Valley, both solid ghetto. There are Blacks of all income levels throughout most of the rest of the city, but don't make up a significant portion of any neighborhood.

I don't know Springfield at all, only thing I can say is I recently dealt with a very middle-class black guy from the Indian Orchard section of Springfield. Never asked much about the neighborhood, only know that he lived there his entire life and (having a family) could not see him staying there if he didn't have confidence in his surroundings (but I'm not sure about the racial makeup of the neighborhood either).

Quote:
I really don't know but I think Pawtucket and maybe parts of Providence and Newport. There are very very few middle-class black and latinos is Rhode Island. Mostly just above poverty.
MAAYBE Newport (not too familiar with), but definitely not Pawtucket. Its middle-class neighborhoods tend long-term Irish/Polish/French Canadian. Minorities are mostly all low income there, Providence same thing. You might get a sizable minority of working class Latinos in parts of Cranston and North Providence, but it pretty much stops there.

Quote:
In all there are no middle-class black or Latino subdivision types that you see in the south or the west for middle-class blacks and Latinos, You may find a few black people on the block in a subdivision like that but the neighborhood is going to be mostly white as is the town. I think Bloomfield and Windsor first and then parts of Milton Stouthgton Randolph and Brockton are the closest to what you're looking for.
Agree, although I would have strong reservations about Brockton these days (even the West Side).

Quote:
Black People in Stoughton and Framingham are definitely not lower class. As for Latinos in Framingham and Marlborough, you may be right.

No I meant New England in general that most Latinos are lower class, with those towns being possible exceptions as areas that seem to have a good amount of middle-income Latino. I wasn't aware of a large Black population in Framingham, outside the usual sprinkling that blend in with everybody else (similar to Wellesley or Newton, only less wealthy).

Old 07-15-2019, 07:03 AM

Framingham doesnt have a large population at 6-7%. Its just much longer standing and more established than mot MA places. The Black people there are American from the south and have integrated well into the town. Part of why it has an African-American Mayor.

I dont know much about Worcester i just assumed since most of the blacks are west african it was more of a middle class settlement. I know two black middle class families from there as well. One used to go to private school with me when they lived in Roxbury. Another had a very nice single family home and we would celebrate kwanzaaa with them. They attended WPS-Doherty Memorial and liked it.

Springfield definitely has a real black middle class.

Basically New Haven County and Northern/Eastern Hartford County in CT

OR

Boston and Metro South in MA.

Those are your best bets OP.

Old 07-15-2019, 11:29 AM

17,708 posts, read 9,181,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
MAAYBE Newport (not too familiar with),
No, not Newport. Not middle class. Mostly housing projects near the Middletown line.

Old 07-15-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
No, not Newport. Not middle class. Mostly housing projects near the Middletown line.
Believe it or not, some of those rougher project looking places near the Newport/Middleton line are actually condos.

Old 07-15-2019, 12:57 PM

Sounds like Rhode Islands out except maybe a sliver of North Providence/Cranston and maybe a small aprt of Woonsocket?..

Old 07-15-2019, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Sounds like Rhode Islands out except maybe a sliver of North Providence/Cranston and maybe a small aprt of Woonsocket?..
RI (and neighboring South Coast Mass.) is definitely not the place to go if you want a prosperous Black or Latino population. Those two examples might work if you have a compelling reason to go there ie. amazing job offer, but I can't imagine moving there randomly without such. As for Woonsocket, unless things changed lately the minorities were always struggling and concentrated in the worst neighborhoods ie. people forced out of Boston/NYC ghettos.

Old 07-15-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
RI (and neighboring South Coast Mass.) is definitely not the place to go if you want a prosperous Black or Latino population. Those two examples might work if you have a compelling reason to go there ie. amazing job offer, but I can't imagine moving there randomly without such. As for Woonsocket, unless things changed lately the minorities were always struggling and concentrated in the worst neighborhoods ie. people forced out of Boston/NYC ghettos.
My mom fits the category of Woonsocket black resident gradually pushed out of Roxbury. Shes lower middle class and college educated but yea I could see more Woonsocket residents being less fortunate.

This is pretty damning for the state of Rhode Island. A state that nearly 25% black and Latino-whose principal city is 60% black and Latino-and we who know rhode island better than 99.9% of people on earth can't think of more than few BLOCKS of middle-class blacks and Latinos? How does it get that bad? What even worse is there is no leadership-of any race- in the state to point this out.

Seems we've lost OP, i think s/he was just inquiring.

Old 07-15-2019, 03:08 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:

Dunno about that. The Cape Verdians have been around forever and lots live in the South Coast 'burbs. A Cape Verdian physician bought my father's house where he had his oral surgery practice as a home office. It's not a really high percentage but it's always been normal in my town to have middle class Cape Verdians. What I rarely see is African Americans descended from southern slavery. It's never been a large part of the South Coast population even in the failed cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts