Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2019, 11:25 PM

66 posts, read 89,800 times

Advertisements

What I want to try, as an occasional weekend entertainment with the wife and kids, is to do some motorized boating. I am new to water activities, so I am still learning. My idea was to purchase a 12’ PVC based dinghy with electric outboard motor and to explore these options: lakes around me: Kendrick pond, Cochituate, Morses, My main question is about going on the Charles. All information I find is about kayaking, sups, canoeing. There are tons of boat ramps for them near me in Needham and Newton, but they don’t mention motorized dinghy specifically. Can I assume that wherever i see a kayak access, I can launch and use my inflatable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2019, 04:30 AM
r_p

228 posts, read 219,453 times
Just get a square stern canoe and add a trolling motor. You can also get into shallow waters without worrying about debris. Radisson has a nice 14' wide transom model that it very stable (no need for stabilizers).

Adding motor means that you have to get it registered. See https://www.mass.gov/boat-registration

Old 07-17-2019, 09:43 AM

11,049 posts, read 12,381,538 times
Always better to kayak or canoe than motorboat. Leaks all kinds of stuff into the water and disturbs animal habitats. Screws with the shoreline too.

Old 07-17-2019, 11:21 AM

Yep, registration would need to be done and taxes payed.

The problem with canoe for me is the space required to store it and also getting it on and off my SUV. It needs to be manageable by me alone. A dinghy deflates and re-inflates, has multiple parts to reduce the weight of any single item (aluminum floor is separate from pontoons, for example), it has launching wheels letting me handle it by myself, etc. From my little understanding, a wide 5.5’ dinghy is going to be a lot more stable for kids and fishing, can be taken out to sea, can be fitted with gas powered motor 10-15hp. It seems a lot more versatile for the lakes and sea, but not sure about those shallows on the Charles though. It was just an idea exploring the river that snakes all over the place around us.

Have you ever seen an inflatable or even rigid hull raft being used West of Watertown ?

Old 07-17-2019, 12:57 PM

14,224 posts, read 14,642,943 times
I do not know the Rules and Regulations but in the late late 1950's or early 60's there was a Tommy Bartlett Water Ski Show on the Charles River behind Grover Cronins, adjacent to the Moody St Bridge in Waltham. I learned to water ski on the Charles River in the late 60's at the exact same spot.

Charles River (Waltham)
Woerd Avenue
Waltham, MA
Phone:
Fisherman access: Small concrete ramp, concrete pad ramp system or gravel ramp designed for smaller boats and parking for boat trailers. Fish species: Largemouth bass, northern pike, white perch, pickerel, black crappie. Managed by the Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation.

Same place we used to put our ski boat in the river back in the 60's.

Last edited by johngolf; 07-17-2019 at 01:11 PM..

Old 07-17-2019, 02:56 PM

604 posts, read 557,224 times
Consider joining Community Boating Inc. You can get lessons and a season pass for a sailboat on the charles. Cheaper, easier and less commitment than buying.

Please note there are non navigable shallows and the dams between Waltham and Watertown, so if your intent is to boat out to the mystic locks and back, you'd have to put in around Nonantum Road.

Old 07-17-2019, 05:06 PM

2,439 posts, read 4,818,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Always better to kayak or canoe than motorboat. Leaks all kinds of stuff into the water and disturbs animal habitats. Screws with the shoreline too.
Thank you.

Old 07-17-2019, 06:05 PM

11,049 posts, read 12,381,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
Thank you.
Just looking out for the ecosystems.

Old 07-18-2019, 11:17 AM
r_p

228 posts, read 219,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnyDrew View Post
Yep, registration would need to be done and taxes payed.

The problem with canoe for me is the space required to store it and also getting it on and off my SUV. It needs to be manageable by me alone. A dinghy deflates and re-inflates, has multiple parts to reduce the weight of any single item (aluminum floor is separate from pontoons, for example), it has launching wheels letting me handle it by myself, etc. From my little understanding, a wide 5.5’ dinghy is going to be a lot more stable for kids and fishing, can be taken out to sea, can be fitted with gas powered motor 10-15hp. It seems a lot more versatile for the lakes and sea, but not sure about those shallows on the Charles though. It was just an idea exploring the river that snakes all over the place around us.

Have you ever seen an inflatable or even rigid hull raft being used West of Watertown ?
My understanding was that good inflatable ones are $$$. Pumping air is also a hassle and takes forever with 12v car batteries. For ocean a small flat dinghy would be very uncomfortable. You need something with a V hull that cuts through water and doesn't get thrown around as much.

Old 07-18-2019, 03:59 PM

Good point, r__p.

I am planning to have a dedicated, self powered pump. But you are probably right, even with that it will take forever to inflate.

I am looking at the drawing of the dinghy I want to buy, it appears like a V. What do you think? Not sea worthy? Or it could be on a calm day?

The harbor trips are my pipe dreams, my wife would never allow me I do hope though, this rig would get me out on the lakes with 30 min setup and 30 min teardown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts