Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 07:22 AM

2 posts, read 7,145 times

Advertisements

Hello. My company is located in Kendall Square. I am looking for a town with commuter Rail access to Porter Square or North Station or South Station.

Requirements:
1) Top 25 School District
2) Commuter Rail Commute to Red Line (I have no intention of driving to Kendall square)
3) 4000+ SqFt home and $1M budget

I wish I could afford Lexington, Newton, Cambridge, Arlington etc.. but can’t with my criteria so no need to suggest towns as such.

I’m looking at Acton, Sudbury, South Borough, Hopkinton , North Borough, Sharon and open to others. I’m willing to travel over an hour commute time. Of all I mentioned Acton and Sharon seem most reasonable. Desperately NEED HELP.

I know Sudbury would require a drive to towns like Lincoln, Concord or South Acton and that is OKay. Anyone with experience commuting from the other towns I listed (Hopkinton, SouthBorough, NorthBorough, etc)? Also, Feel free to suggest other towns given my criteria above.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2019, 08:02 AM

8,547 posts, read 14,012,666 times
Once you say you're commuting to Kendall Square that opens up a lot of possibilities. If you can't live close enough in to ride the Red Line then you're committed to two forms of transportation already. So living south of Boston in a place like Sharon would be reasonable if you're taking public transportation (commuter rail to South Station then Red Line to Kendall) just know that if for some reason you have to drive in it will be a pretty horrific commute unless you leave well outside of typical committing hours.

The other thing you'll want to keep in mind is real estate taxes. Some of these towns have much higher tax rates than others. So, if you're buying for $1M in Sudbury and it's assessed at $1M vs. buying in Sharon (same price, same assessed value) you'll pay $3K more in taxes in Sharon vs. Sudbury. Therefore, you may end up with different housing budgets in different towns.

I would say though before anyone can really help you it would be great to hear more about what it is that you're looking for in your new hometown. Do you want a town center? It sounds like a train stop in town would be a big plus for you. Is there anything or anyone you want to be near to? Any ammenities you're looking for (Temple/Church/Mosque, hiking/biking trails, ice skating arena, shops/restaurants, whatever)?

Old 07-23-2019, 08:17 AM

2 posts, read 7,145 times
Hello MikePRU,

Thanks for your response. Just a great school system and a great place to raise a family with young kids. I don’t need much beyond that. I’m okay with driving 20+ minutes to access things like grocery store, mall, etc. Only easy access I require is to a commuter rail station and preferably one with easy parking. I hear SouthBorough Commuter Rail parking is simple. I hear there may be challenges at South Acton Station so I am taking that into account.

Also, I’m only willing to travel about 10-15 to get to my home’s commuter rail station. Open to traveling up to one hour on commuter rail train. Ideally, 30-40 min commuter rail train ride is preferred. I’ll figure out the redline based on whatever station the commuter rail goes to (For example, Porter Sq., North and South Station).

Any suggestions or comments will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Old 07-23-2019, 09:18 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,693,742 times
Kendall is the absolute worst place to commute to period.

The commute from Sharon is approximately an hour of both the commuter rail and the red line work perfectly. The odds of that happening are less than 50/50 tbh.

Old 07-23-2019, 09:41 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Southborough parking is easy if you get there before 7 a.m. When I've had to take the commuter rail for conferences and meetings in Boston, I was often one of the last cars to get parking for the 6:45 a.m. train. If you're hoping to take a later train, forget it unless you have someone who can drop you off.

That said, I suspect most of the suburban commuter rail stations are similar. Limited public transit to the stations and limited parking across the board leads to some tricky situations.

That said, if you are able to commit to that schedule (or wouldn't mind driving to the Brandeis-Roberts stop in Waltham that seems to always have parking), then Sudbury or Southborough are really nice towns. I definitely prefer Sudbury's feel to Acton's - the latter of which built up in the 80s/90s which isn't the best looking for commercial real estate. That's more petty than anything, though, and your children would have a wonderful experience growing up in either town.

Old 07-23-2019, 09:52 AM

91 posts, read 127,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
Kendall is the absolute worst place to commute to period.

The commute from Sharon is approximately an hour of both the commuter rail and the red line work perfectly. The odds of that happening are less than 50/50 tbh.

Same or a bit worse with the commute from Acton. But still Sharon and Acton would be your two best options with those requirements. Other closer towns would cost you much more the $1M for a 4000+ sq ft house.

Littleton is also an option that would take 70+ mins, but may be ok for you especially if you can telecommute a few days.

North Wayland could work if you can find a house in your budget.

Another option is Westwood.

Old 07-23-2019, 11:51 AM

880 posts, read 818,567 times
4000 sqft is quite big for the north east, most ppl live in 2000 to 2500 sqft. Sounds like you also prefer a newer house, most of the stock here is built in 1920s and under 2000 sqft.

I couldn't even imagine the winter heating bill for a 4000sqft home...

Old 07-23-2019, 01:00 PM

4,621 posts, read 4,887,043 times
There are 4 houses that meet most of your criteria in Harvard right now. $1MM gets you a 4b/4b 4200 sf on 9 acres.

BUT that house is a 10 minute drive to Littleton then a 35 or 52 minute train ride to Porter, then X to Kendall
Or a 1.5+ hour drive to Alewife

A $1MM assessment is $17k in taxes in Harvard FYI

Old 07-23-2019, 01:01 PM

19 posts, read 20,388 times
I take the commuter rail to Porter then Red Line to Kendall. There are 2 express trains whose last stops are in Acton before running express to Porter each morning. However parking at the station is almost impossible if you are a non-resident. Acton does have a shuttle from the West Acton Fire Station and a Church too, opening up Boxboro as a possibility. Allow 10-15 minutes drive/wait time, 30 ride time from Acton then 15-20 to Kendall and office.

West Concord Station could also work, living near Acton line, Concord or possibly Sudbury. No express trains from there however but always parking. I'm not sure what the resident parking situation is in Lincoln and it never looks good at Kendal Green. There are non-resident spots that look full before the 702 Express runs by from Acton.

Boxboro has some houses within 5 minutes from Littleton/495 Station and check out a development walking distance from Littleton Station too: Durkee Farm Estates

Harvard is an option too. Allow 1 and 15 minutes hour for commute, maybe shave 5-10 minutes off if close to Littleton Station.

All towns mentioned have top 25 schools.

Last edited by Apple Country; 07-23-2019 at 01:05 PM.. Reason: Formatting was weird

Old 07-23-2019, 01:09 PM

169 posts, read 182,192 times
according to Zillow there are only 6 homes for sale with minumum of 4000 sq ft under $1 Mil. 3 of them are in Andover MA. 2 in the Berkshires and 1 on the Cape. Andover is a top school district. Not sure how the commute would be. They all look like they are located at Andover Country Club. Not sure if they are 55+ condos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts