Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 03:40 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,908,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipsip View Post
Don't kid anyone Rts. 20, 30, 117 are busy, busy and Weston is bordered by 128 and the MA pike, so there are some housing areas to avoid. You can clearly hear 128 from a mile away, so watch out for houses off 117 nearer to 128.

Wellesley is close by for shopping, but Wellesley is super crowded and has lots of traffic and parking spots at Whole Foods and Roche Bros (the new one) are hard to come by.

All in all, if you work in Boston and can afford to stay off the busy roads and away from traffic noise, Weston is ideal.
Though the OP is long gone, I'll comment on a couple of observations here in case others read this thread now that it's been bumped back up with the current threads.

I wouldn't worry about traffic noise except on a case-by-case basis. Not too many streets in Weston are located overly close to the major highways, though some are, so this is something any potential buyer would want to know about. It is true that routes 20, 30, and 117 are major through roads for commuting between various western suburbs and Boston. The main issue with those roads is not noise so much, except maybe if you actually live ON one of these roads, but the fact that they are crowded and slow during rush hours. Local through streets intersecting these roads can back up some during rush hours as well, as traffic on the main roads slows down traffic feeding into the main roads from the local through streets. Mainly that's no more than a little bit of an inconvenience if you plan to drive across town at the hours of peak traffic.

As for the description of Weston as "ideal," as with anything subjective this depends on what you consider ideal. If you can afford to live there, it's a really good town for someone who prefers a low-density suburb reasonably close to the city, but Weston is not the "walkable" kind of town quite a few people seem to be seeking these days, though it does have the very basic shopping which the OP apparently was unable to locate while checking out the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 11:18 AM

1 posts, read 4,667 times
I lived in Weston (1961-1978), and can tell you that when I graduated the high school there was a 90% graduation rate to top schools on the country. I'm surprised there's no market, since I went to school with the 2 sons of the family who owned the AAA market. Now that may have closed down in over 30 years, but it really does surprise me. Are people snobs? It's a wealthy town of 11,000, but that's no excuse to be a snob.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:37 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,908,183 times
The Triple A is gone, but there is still a small supermarket in that location. There has continually been a supermarket at that location, under one company name or another, since the Triple A closed.

Are the people snobs? That's a very subjective term, so it's hard to say. For the most part people in Weston seem friendly enough among their own. Adolescent kids can be snooty if you give them any pretext for viewing themselves as superior, like living in a wealthy suburb, but for the most part the adults in Weston are not likely to make a point of giving the cold shoulder to those who are not at their socioeconomic level. Still, they might not be able to really relate very well to regular folks. They're living in adifferent world.

GJones, if you visited Weston briefly today, you might notice little or no difference between now and the years you lived there, but you might pick up on some differences if you spent more time there. During your years there, Weston was home to a lot of successful professionals, with some longtime residents still around who added a small but significant middle-class and blue-collar presence. Now Weston is truly a wealthy town, Boston's wealthiest suburb by several objective measures, home to CEO's, big-time lawyers, and other such high-powered types, as well as a number of professional athletes and other Boston area celebrities. The difference between this populace and the town of doctors, professors, and other solidly successful professionals that Weston used to be may be subtle, but you'd probably pick up on some differences if you moved back and lived there for a few years.

Old 11-24-2010, 07:20 PM

1 posts, read 4,501 times
you will maybe find one out of 15 people in weston that are snoddy. Weston is a great place to live and the Omni (grocery store) is perfect for the amount of people living in our town. You should really talk to the people IN weston before you make assumptions.

Old 11-28-2010, 03:27 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,066,031 times
I'm not gonna read this whole 4 page thread, but I am gonna insert my opinion. Weston along the Boston Post Rd area is beautiful and somewhat breathtaking. I do like it, however it is too expensive for me. It is boring, but close to everything pretty much considering its an exurb/suburb. There is nothing really to do, but I could live with it if it were cheaper to live definitely. To know I was getting a deal in Weston would feel good by itself. I would live in Watertown myself though or Cambridge if picking a really rich place. Cambridge is just as expensive as Weston ,and your right near Boston. That be worth it more to me, but to some maybe not. Weston is quiet and has all the New England charm anyone could ever want. I knew average people who lived there. I actually attended the Gifford School for a little bit in the 90s. Good school as well. I got to know the area by going to that school. There were residents who worked at the school who lived in Weston. I remember the school nurse did. She was average/down to earth/smart, and seemed like the type who would not be overly rich at all and lived in a nice house. She must have bought there before Weston got known to be a snob town. Overall nice town, quaint and quiet, but overrated to a degree. Also, just because no McDonalds exist where teens can cause trouble, does not mean punks are not there. They are. I remember a kid from Weston who went to Gifford. He was a big hothead, acted pretty priviledged too like a hothead rich type. He was nice deep down, but put on a big front and could be a bit of a bully at times. People like that do exist there. Just because its rich, doesn't mean its immune to problems for sure.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:30 PM

1 posts, read 4,362 times
Just a question if I might. In reading the posts someone indicated that property taxes in Weston are higher (or highest) of all the suburbs. I may be relocated to the Boston area and have been looking online at real estate in the Winchester, Wellesley and Weston areas.
Just as an example, what would the approxiamte property taxes be in each of these suburbs on ... let's say a 3mm property? Where I am from a 3mm property would run about $42,000.00 per year. How do they compute the tax? Here it is fairly simple ... 1.4% of the properties assessed value. Oh, by the way, does anyone know if the Upper Mystic Lake over flowed its banks during the last "100 year rain" ... I believe that was March/April 2010?

Thank you for your responses,
Jeff

Old 01-03-2011, 06:35 PM

10,007 posts, read 15,647,185 times
On the assessor's page, it states the tax rate is $11.39 per thousand. You would need to know the assessed value of the specific property.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:21 AM

3 posts, read 8,563 times
Hi all,
what about Arlington and Winchester? I also am searching the area for a good home. We want great public schools for a smart kid,a well educated parental community who supports by being involved and volunteering, a decent (30 min or less) commute to Waltham, for about 430,000. We are working with real estate agents and shopping around but would appreciate input from this forum. THANK YOU!!
LYLAS

Old 07-20-2013, 11:29 PM

7 posts, read 11,342 times
Default Weston is Nice

Hi I just want to clarify something. Weston is a great town and the people are not snobs. I was born in Malden which is really ghetto and lived there until I was 7 or so and moved to Newton. People said Newton was nicer than MAlden which is true BUT the kids were fake and tried to act like gangsters and act tough but it was all for show. Alot of people in Newton are backwards and stupid and it has good parts like chestnut hill and bad parts like nonantum and west newton. Newton is either snob or pretender and I really did not like it very much. On the other hand I knew people from Weston and they were really humble and nice people who took pride in being successful but never bragged about being from Weston, they just want to live in private places and more private lifestyles. Weston Is MUCH nicer than Newton and truly is a town with NO bad areas, its ALL nice and ALL rich. You will find HUGE houses very expensive but the people are NOT snobs and welcome new comers into their town. In Newton you get a false narrative that the school systems are great but they actually suck. The schools are overcrowded and MCAS results came in at number 75 in the state. However they will pretend like they are really great but Newton is a second tier town compared to Weston, Wellesley, Dover, Winchester, Boxford, Lexington Concord and Wayland. In my opinion go to one of these towns and NOT Newton.

Old 07-20-2013, 11:52 PM

143 posts, read 300,165 times
I like Weston personally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts