Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2019, 02:59 PM

9,085 posts, read 6,308,684 times

Advertisements

I have been really annoyed with the lack of action from the state on growing traffic and transportation in general, but this is definitely something the state should be offering.

https://boston.curbed.com/2019/7/26/...ing-tax-credit
“Nationally, there has been an increase in the proportion of workers who work from home, but telecommuting is not as prevalent in Massachusetts,” Baker said in prepared remarks. “We still have a larger share of workers that ride transit rather than work from home, which is the opposite of the national trend. The Greater Boston area also ranks far below other areas with similar economies and demographics when it comes to remote working.”

The big question here is why is Massachusetts so far behind the rest of the nation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2019, 03:44 PM

12,399 posts, read 9,502,300 times
I do think that's a good idea, thanks for sharing.

Old 07-27-2019, 03:44 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,778,418 times
This is a bad idea. If companies wanted/hired remote workers, they wouldn't want to be in Boston because of how expensive it is.

Old 07-27-2019, 04:22 PM

10,008 posts, read 15,656,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
This is a bad idea. If companies wanted/hired remote workers, they wouldn't want to be in Boston because of how expensive it is.
You have a point, but some companies want them in the general vicinity but they can work from home a few days a week.

It sounds to me like he knows the transportation system will never be adequate for the large volume of workers here so he's trying to pressure employers to offer this.

Old 07-27-2019, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
You have a point, but some companies want them in the general vicinity but they can work from home a few days a week.

It sounds to me like he knows the transportation system will never be adequate for the large volume of workers here so he's trying to pressure employers to offer this.
Here is a second article on the subject. This article actually identifies the metro areas that are more friendly to remote workers. Believe it or not but on this topic Atlanta is much more progressive than Boston. Atlanta is in-line with the more well known to be progressive cities in the west.
https://www.masslive.com/news/2019/0...outputType=amp

Old 07-27-2019, 04:51 PM

12,399 posts, read 9,502,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post

I agree. I am in pharma/biotech and most of these companies want to be here primarily because of the local workforce in my opinion. If you're a scientist and work in the lab doing experiments, you have to come in pretty much every day. But for most other employees, working from home 1-2 days a week is doable without significant adverse impacts on e.g. communications.

Old 07-27-2019, 04:51 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,778,418 times
The other problem is that remote work doesn't really work (heh) with inexperienced workers, and a big part of the appeal of Boston to employers is all of those cheap college graduates the schools pump out.

I'm assuming Charlie is talking about more than just working from home on Fridays.

Old 07-27-2019, 04:54 PM

880 posts, read 819,063 times
Working remotely - careful what you wish for. When companies have the infrastructure to work with a large number of remote workers then paying someone in India 10k a year vs 100k a year becomes very attractive to the bean counting CEO to boost their bonus...

Old 07-27-2019, 06:50 PM

23,540 posts, read 18,687,760 times
"Charlie Baker has a great idea".

Resign?

Old 07-27-2019, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
"Charlie Baker has a great idea".

Resign?
I know you don't like him but in my opinion he presented an outside the box idea for (partially) addressing the insane level of vehicular traffic in eastern MA. I'd still like to see the state upgrade some critical intersections and interchanges but this idea is good if done in tandem with other improvements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts