Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2019, 05:54 AM

7,912 posts, read 7,732,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post
Another reason why prices are high is because many old people do not move out to downsize. They supposedly don't have a place to downsize to close to home, or pass on their house to their hiers. I read that the majority of houses are owned by baby boomers. I went to many open houses in Bedford and many of the prospective buyers were retired. There weren't many young couples looking because it was above their price range. Why does a retired couple need a house all to themselves?
Kinda. Generally speaking people tend to move more until age 65. There's been some studies on this. After 65 they are now apt to stay. By 80 they are staying put indefinitely.

There's an idea to cling to everything that is physical. I had to show three elderly coworkers how to use a computer 18 years ago. When we were hired we were asked if we had office experience. The company meant Ms office. The elderly thought working in an office. They last worked in an office when Carter was president. For three months I had to show them how to double click, drag, cut copy paste etc. We had to ultimately fire one because she was doing half the work of others. It was that bad.

First we had the command line, then the GUI, then the app and now smart speakers. We've done about as much as we can with technology for UI. Likewise as baby boomers retire and then discover how hollow suburbs are they'll try to drive further. This is why public transit is important. What do you do when grandma can't drive and lives "out there". The MBTA is in bad shape. Weekend shut downs are starting. It just makes more sense to live in a city or at least a place with higher population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 06:31 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,663,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
I would have zero problem selling my place in a couple of days for (what I consider) a huge amount. I would have zero problem renting my place for (what I consider) a huge amount.

Tons of jobs have been created in Boston. High paying jobs. Those that earn more should have more convenience right? Regardless of if they deserve their success.

I have no tight ties to this area. My children can and should get out of here if they cannot afford to have a happy life here - I would absolutely encourage them to do so and would help them do so because of the value I collected from my own sacrifice...that is how this American model works. I think?
How would you feel if prices crashed and you had to sell below what you paid?

Anyway, you obviously have a 1% mentality on this subject because you are far insulated from issues of class inequality living in Brookline. As someone who lives in a "starter house" in an average town I can firmly say the vast majority of the kids growing up where I live will never have a chance to own a home here. Where are they supposed to go? Someplace dangerous? How is that good for anyone?

And I say this as someone who was priced out of the region I grew up in. I genuinely worry about what's going to happen to my kids unless the system completely crashes and resets itself - something that will be devestating for just about everyone.

Old 08-13-2019, 06:44 AM

604 posts, read 551,651 times
This escalated quickly

Old 08-13-2019, 06:45 AM

21,420 posts, read 12,376,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
Connecticut and Mass are similar states, neighbors, many common characteristics with some differences. One is the property taxes, another is the state-local relationships. Earlier post brought up West Hartford as an example of a diversity causing problems; another poster defended West Hartford as model for greater Boston. West Hartford is diverse class-wise because early and mid-twentieth century development extended beyond the Hartford city line into West Hartford with two families and some three deckers before the zoning reached its full postwar restrictive-exclusionary form. Very similar historical pattern around Boston--Belmont and Newton and similar towns have areas of modest two families built on small lots along streetcar lines before World War I and in the 1920s before zoning was implemented or when it was less restrictive than it would be later. The economics in the Boston area have made those two-family areas much less affordable than comparable ones in West Hartford. Why can't the more recently developed towns allow areas like that with smaller lots, denser housing? Demand in the Boston metro is such that smaller than average new houses on smaller than average lots in a town like Boxborough or Westwood would attract the same class of people that buy or rent in Newton and Belmont.
exactly

Old 08-13-2019, 06:46 AM

Quote:
My question to you, if you owned a home with market value of 400k, would you sell it for 200k to help build this utopian community you speak of?
youre being dramatic here.

OP seemingly wants to now how MA could be less expensive I provided an example of a desirable, reasonably affordable town in a similar state.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 08-13-2019 at 06:57 AM..

Old 08-13-2019, 06:49 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,663,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BosYuppie View Post
This escalated quickly
Everyone likes to kick the can on issues that either don't personally affect them or will be detrimental to them. Same problem with things like Social Security and health care reform. Many millenials gross the same or less than their parents were grossing 20-30 years ago but the purchasing power of the dollar doesn't go as far today. It's a mess.

Old 08-13-2019, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
The mill rate in West Hartford is $41.80. You pay that property tax rate on the blue book value of your car, too. People get forced out of their homes by the astronomical property taxes. With that nutty property tax rate, West Hartford still spends less than the state average per pupil on public schools.

You’re also totally wrong about housing and costs. $1260 will rent you a floor in a multifamily with minimal insulation, ancient boiler in the basement, and vintage kitchen and bath. The town is loaded with early 20th century working class 2 family homes. South of Farmington and east of South Main is almost all working class housing stock. Small post war starter homes and pre war 2 families. West Hartford also has a ton of older high density brick apartment buildings. You won’t find upper middle class there.

You can buy a pretty nice house for $500k but it will have a $15k+ property tax bill.
So basically the same quality as a $1960 apartment in the boston area?

Also 95% of all housing in West Hartford is 'pretty'. The 'working class' housing is largely quite attractive.

Old 08-13-2019, 07:29 AM

19,894 posts, read 8,786,829 times
Quote:
Another reason why prices are high is because many old people do not move out to downsize. They supposedly don't have a place to downsize to close to home, or pass on their house to their hiers. I read that the majority of houses are owned by baby boomers. I went to many open houses in Bedford and many of the prospective buyers were retired. There weren't many young couples looking because it was above their price range. Why does a retired couple need a house all to themselves?
because that's what they want and can afford. Young people starting out can only want. Same thing that happened to baby boomers 40 years ago. Your turn to struggle.

Old 08-13-2019, 07:34 AM

19,894 posts, read 8,786,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
It's not a problem for me, it is very much the opposite. Again, I am not sure what I am missing. Compassion for those I have zero affiliation with?

When I bought it was a terrifically large amount for me. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would buy anything (especially a condo!) at the price I bought. I laughed at the real estate agent when he told me the price. But here I am, thrivin' and survivin'.

If you were my brother and needed help, I would do what I could. There are millions of people I am sure in your situation. Why should some sacrifice the value they worked so hard to get so that you can live in a place? I lived in a condo when I would have preferred a SFH, I gave up tons of things so I could afford my mortgage in that condo, and then was fortunate enough to grow my career where I did not have to give up as much. That was my risk and my reward and I deserve what I worked for.

It does not seem I am missing anything - it's a tough world. People are shut out of the most desirable places. Sounds right. I guess I can complain about not being able to afford my own island. Or...I'd really like to live in Hawaii but I can't get a job there that would allow me to get a place that is acceptable to me - Ok, so I won't live in Hawaii.

I don't know.
lol....there's a definite disconnect in some people's thinking. Do I wish others harm or ill will? Nope. I wish them well, but don't expect me to take any of my time or resources to make that happen. Your on your own kids, just like we were 40 years ago. Get used to it and make it work for you.

Old 08-13-2019, 07:42 AM

70 posts, read 55,323 times
Not everyone can afford a Lamborghini. Likewise not everyone can buy a SFH home in a suburb near I-95. I don’t see the problem here. Get roommates, live further out, or in a different metro entirely. We already have over 5 million people in Greater Boston. We don’t need more. The rest of the country is very spacious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts