Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2019, 10:13 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
If that were to happen, would those places stay affordable?

Yep. They would remain affordable. The issue is the radius of viable commuting distance to Boston. The square miles of available residential housing increases as the square of the distance. If you can easily get to commuter rail 50 miles out and be in Boston in 25 minutes, you've opened up an enormous supply of housing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2019, 10:21 AM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
If that were to happen, would those places stay affordable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Yep. They would remain affordable. The issue is the radius of viable commuting distance to Boston. The square miles of available residential housing increases as the square of the distance. If you can easily get to commuter rail 50 miles out and be in Boston in 25 minutes, you've opened up an enormous supply of housing.

Another thing is, those places 50 miles out are generally friendlier to development than the extreme NIMBY towns surrounding Boston, so that will reduce pressure.

Old 08-23-2019, 10:29 AM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
You're not going to get the elite Boston suburbs to zone for high density affordable housing so it's pointless to go there. Won't happen. Ever.

Probably right, but any conversation about why MA is so expensive must at least include that factor. And if that doesn't change, the state WILL suffer long term damage as a result.

Quote:
There's no room to add lanes to highways and it's incredibly expensive to do so if you try.

Not true, there are areas with room to widen and that SHOULD be widened. 2 lane parts of Rte. 3 and 24, Mass Pike from Sturbridge to 128, the northern half of 495. The 128/93 interchange in Woburn needs to be blown up and rebuilt from scratch. It will require expensive eminent domain, but still needs to happen (yesterday).

Old 08-23-2019, 02:47 PM

2,710 posts, read 1,732,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
Any major increase of density should be driven by demand. If tech continues to grow and companies can no longer afford the salaries... they will either
- move out
- threaten to leave. Watch how quickly zoning will be changed if amazon, google, amgen leave boston because of lack of infrastructure for employees

... build too much without real demand and boston will not survive the next housing downturn. Businesses will force the density direction at some point
Uhhh ever heard of San Francisco? They don't allow more housing to be built but none of the tech companies have left, if anything there are more and more tech companies moving there despite the lack of housing and more people are still moving in.

Quote:
The day I graduated from college, I moved to a place with better economic opportunity. I didn't expect someone to magically create employment and affordable housing in my West Portugal home town for me. Other than the bottom 20% where the lack of portability of the safety net locks them down in Massachusetts and preventing labor mobility, the rest of us are free to move to the place that presents the best opportunity.
This. I've moved nearly every year from age 18 until early 30s. I've packed up all of my belongings in my Honda Accord and driven across country 3 times. I go where the work is. Everyone has this idea that young people have the right to live in an expensive area with high demand and short supply. It is a privilege to live here, not a right. If you can't afford it, do what I did and move to cheaper parts - you don't even have to leave the state. I lived in Boston for one year then realized I couldn't afford it, so I moved outside 495 and stayed there for years cause it was cheap. When I had enough saved, I moved back inside 95. I never once complained that I was forced out of the city or that I deserved to be there.

Old 08-23-2019, 03:20 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,807,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post

This. I've moved nearly every year from age 18 until early 30s. I've packed up all of my belongings in my Honda Accord and driven across country 3 times. I go where the work is. Everyone has this idea that young people have the right to live in an expensive area with high demand and short supply.
Good for you, everyone loves a warm fuzzy pull up your bootstraps story.

But this isn't just some entitled kiddos who haven't suffered yet and want to move in next door to the place I'm sure you slaved so hard to buy over the years. It is that the whole region is unaffordable for a vast group of people. Not just new college grads with no experience, the guy from El Salvador who is making your lunch or the folks cleaning the office. It is most people, and they then get to suffer and waste their lives commuting 3 hours a day from 495 or taking a failing public transit system.

Telling someone to take a massive risk with what little savings they probably have away from any possible support system is just so far from reality. Just like many of the views on this forum.

Old 08-23-2019, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
Good for you, everyone loves a warm fuzzy pull up your bootstraps story.

But this isn't just some entitled kiddos who haven't suffered yet and want to move in next door to the place I'm sure you slaved so hard to buy over the years. It is that the whole region is unaffordable for a vast group of people. Not just new college grads with no experience, the guy from El Salvador who is making your lunch or the folks cleaning the office. It is most people, and they then get to suffer and waste their lives commuting 3 hours a day from 495 or taking a failing public transit system.

Telling someone to take a massive risk with what little savings they probably have away from any possible support system is just so far from reality. Just like many of the views on this forum.
Welcome to the commuter bus from New Bedford or Fall River. Irfox paid his dues doing that before getting his income up to the point where he could afford to live inside 128.

Old 08-23-2019, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Welcome to the commuter bus from New Bedford or Fall River. Irfox paid his dues doing that before getting his income up to the point where he could afford to live inside 128.
Yes, I see you've figured it out. "Why is MA so expensive" has been shown to include such unfortunate and unsustainable situations as taking a commuter bus back and forth for 4 hours a day.

Any thoughts on improving transit, zoning or reducing congestion? Or is a bunch of haves and have nots just the harsh reality of the world?

Old 08-23-2019, 03:45 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,838,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post
Uhhh ever heard of San Francisco? They don't allow more housing to be built but none of the tech companies have left, if anything there are more and more tech companies moving there despite the lack of housing and more people are still moving in.
Well, people complain about self-satisfaction among Bostonians but they have nothing on San Francisco people who think they're in paradise. Anyway, the northern Cal climate is hard to match. Boston lacks that advantage.

Old 08-23-2019, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
Yes, I see you've figured it out. "Why is MA so expensive" has been shown to include such unfortunate and unsustainable situations as taking a commuter bus back and forth for 4 hours a day.

Any thoughts on improving transit, zoning or reducing congestion? Or is a bunch of haves and have nots just the harsh reality of the world?
I’ve written endlessly about improving transit. It just doesn’t fit into your dialogue where lower income people can somehow afford to live in the gold plated desirable places in metro Boston.

Old 08-23-2019, 04:28 PM

Quote:
It just doesn’t fit into your dialogue where l̶o̶w̶e̶r̶ ̶i̶n̶c̶o̶m̶e̶ ̶p̶e̶o̶p̶l̶e̶ everybody can afford to live in metro Boston.
Here, fixed that for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts