Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 10:11 PM

175 posts, read 183,212 times

Advertisements

was looking around at random suburbs and everythings 400k+
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2019, 10:47 PM

2,710 posts, read 1,732,864 times
Lack of supply. More people are moving to the Boston area for work and there's just not enough houses for everyone. That's why old fixer uppers get into bidding wars.

Old 08-10-2019, 04:07 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
The supply problem is caused by local zoning that prevents high density housing and small houses on small lots. All school systems are local. The zoning keeps the unwashed masses out of the schools and keeps property tax rates in the town low since the school budget is the dominant cost. Socioeconomic segregation. The only high density housing those towns will happily approve is senior housing since it doesn’t impact the schools or property tax rates.

Old 08-10-2019, 04:41 AM

12,420 posts, read 9,519,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post
Lack of supply. More people are moving to the Boston area for work and there's just not enough houses for everyone. That's why old fixer uppers get into bidding wars.
Yep, that's it. The job market for skilled jobs is strong in the Boston area, and there's just very little buildable land left in the whole Boston metro region, so the supply of housing is nearly fixed. Prices keep going up, up, up. It's good for someone from this area who will be selling and moving elsewhere, but creates a real issue for those trying to relocate here. We could use an increase in higher density housing in the suburbs - condos and apartments, as well as an improvement in transportation infrastructure, as traffic is also a problem around here already.

Old 08-10-2019, 05:06 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,523,258 times
Time to start building highrise housing projects in the inner city.

Old 08-10-2019, 07:05 AM

6,459 posts, read 7,795,049 times
I must say however, I don't understand why so many advocate for more housing with the specific objective of making real estate more affordable. I own, and I want my real estate value to keep going up...not down. I don't want what I own to be more affordable. I know I am missing something but don't know what that is.

Old 08-10-2019, 07:10 AM

663 posts, read 1,863,939 times
You’re only thinking about yourself and not about the sustainability of the region - economy, traffic patterns etc.

Old 08-10-2019, 07:11 AM

663 posts, read 1,863,939 times
Who wants to pay Mercedes prices for a Civic?

Old 08-10-2019, 07:24 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
Time to start building highrise housing projects in the inner city.

The problem is that couples with children want the gold-plated school system. Thus the leafy suburbs with single family homes and restrictive zoning. Given the traffic and public transportation debacle in the Boston metro, there is an enormous premium for close-to-work layered on top of that gold-plated school system. Family size is smaller but Millenials are still reproducing. Once they have demon spawn, they aren't as interested in a "highrise housing project in the inner city". If you look at Niche top-100 ratings for elementary schools in Massachusetts, you won't find any in Boston, one in Cambridge.

Old 08-10-2019, 11:17 AM

17,716 posts, read 9,187,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
I must say however, I don't understand why so many advocate for more housing with the specific objective of making real estate more affordable. I own, and I want my real estate value to keep going up...not down. I don't want what I own to be more affordable. I know I am missing something but don't know what that is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkone View Post
You’re only thinking about yourself and not about the sustainability of the region - economy, traffic patterns etc.
Everyone is thinking about themselves. The people that want the Boston area to be more affordable are the people that don't live there. They want to live there but can't afford to. It has nothing to do with the sustainability of the region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts