Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2019, 11:54 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,807,780 times

Advertisements

Newton is a non starter, especially for someone in their 20s/30s. Combination of way less to do and a worse commute? I'd pass. No time to do anything fun if you are stuck in traffic both ways.

I know you said Arlington was above your budget but keep looking. Trust me you will have much more fun having proximity to Cambridge/Somerville than sitting on 95. I reverse commute a bit further out than you around 495 and can get to acton in like 20 minutes in the morning. I'd look in East Arlington as close to Route 16 as possible. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2019, 01:26 PM

2,947 posts, read 5,191,791 times
As far as Belmont, there are grittier streets around town which would have two-family homes renting a 1 BR apartment. In fact, despite perception, not all of Belmont is polished, though the schools and safety are top notch from what I've heard. Lived there in a basement studio in 1992 for a year and enjoyed it.

Not many apartment buildings, but would a rental in a house be fine?

Old 08-29-2019, 02:07 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,644,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
But there's more than there is in Acton. And it's very easy to get to Boston and also Brookline, which would have more to do. I lived in Brookline in my 20s and occasionally ventured into Newton, although most of my time was in Boston and Cambridge. While it's certainly not first on the list when I think of good places for 20-somethings (that would be Boston, Cambridge, and then Brookline), once those top 3 are eliminated for whatever reason, the options fall off significantly. When you're assessing further out areas, they're not really all that different, but Newton would certainly be higher than many of them, given that it's not too hard to get to Brookline, Boston, and even Cambridge. Plus Waltham is next door, and it has some stuff for 20somethings.

Newton is nicer housing stock, prettier streets and safer feel than Waltham in many neighborhoods. It's as easy if not easier to be a part of the Waltham scene living in Nonantum, West Newton, Auburndale as it would be living there. I would pick Auburndale over Nonantum to ideally be walking distance to the green line (car-free benefit) and to have to go through fewer streets in town to get to the 128 intersection.

Arlington, I visited last week. Seems much more vibrant than I remembered it being. The center has those outdoor patio areas now. I picked up an Adult Ed catalog at a business and was impressed with how many interesting classes are being offered. Seemed to be many singles 30s/40s as well as young families hanging out in the center.

New recommendation to the OP is Arlington > North Newton > Watertown > Waltham.

Old 08-29-2019, 05:22 PM

18 posts, read 131,075 times
Thanks everyone. I’m actually in my 30’s, so I’m looking for an area that’s not too college student party scene, but that still has something fun to do at night and on weekends, or is at least accessible to a bus or train that will go into Boston or Cambridge area.. Yes, there are listings in my price range, but.... I’d like to have a cat, and most of them say “no pets,” and.., Arlington is prohibitively expensive for the nicer places. I’ve seen several that smelled, had peeling walls, non-functioning appliances, etc.. Also, when I go look at places in Arlington, there are usually like 10 other people also looking, AND... there’s an application put in the same day the listing is posted. It’s been frustrating! Arlington is very convenient to my work in terms of the commute, (can just take Route 2 all the way..) so that’s why I was focusing on it, but I think it may just be too expensive.

I found another place on Fife Road in Wellesley that I liked, but.... the drive there this afternoon took 50 minutes as there was an accident on 95 south.... I’m not sure that Wellesley is great for the commute. What do you all think? I’ve been focusing on Arlington and Waltham mostly, but trying to expand a little bit.

Old 08-29-2019, 05:40 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,807,780 times
One of the biggest advantages of having a job somewhere like Acton is that the commute is so much better and the rent is slightly lower. Two of the biggest issues in the area. You could look in Burlington but that commute is just as bad as Newton/Wellesley, you'd be stuck with only 1 bus line so you'd need to live close to it and the last one home is at like 10PM. Lowell maybe as a compromise? But not if you are dead set on Boston access.

The Fitchburg commuter rail line basically follows Route 2, but the problem with those towns is that they are sleepy and that the train schedule is awful if you are trying to have a night out. Less of an issue if you plan on driving though.

Not too many more options without getting into compromise territory.. Roommates, longer commute, or higher budget. Time to figure out just how often you plan on going out and base the decision on that. If it will mostly be on weekends it is fast and super easy to just drive down Rt. 2 and park at Alewife.

Old 08-29-2019, 07:04 PM

17,737 posts, read 9,192,519 times
OP, some of the listings that say "no pets" will allow a cat.

Old 08-29-2019, 09:08 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
OP, some of the listings that say "no pets" will allow a cat.
Particularly after you have lived there for a bit and been and then a model tenant

Old 08-31-2019, 04:18 AM

74 posts, read 114,119 times
Thanks, guys. It has come down to a 2 bedroom in Arlington for $1900, including everything (all utilities) OR, a cottage in Wellesley for the same price, with washer/dryer, yard, wrap-around porch, and unlimited parking... Arlington is closer to my work it seems, given that 95 tends to get backed up, especially in the afternoon. BUT... the “cottage” would have the advantage of quieter, and no neighbors beside, below, above, etc. what do you all think?

Both places allow cats, and are close to public transport (cottage is 5 minute drive from Riverside T station) and Arlington place is close to #77 bus and 7 minute drive from Alewife T station.... the cottage also does NOT include utils, but it’s gas heat and it’s only a one bedroom, so not too large to heat. The Arlington apartment is on the top floor, but it’s a hardwood floor/wood frame construction building, so I’m a bit concerned about noise... (have had issues in the past). It’s a three story building with 14 apartments..

Old 08-31-2019, 07:00 AM

604 posts, read 561,889 times
If you’re worried about hardwood floors and wood frames, Boston is not the area of the country for you.

Old 08-31-2019, 08:24 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,644,887 times
Visit the Arlington neighborhood at night. Better yet try to do an AirBnB one nighter in the neighborhood ASAP, before the apartment gets away from you. Arlington doesn't have many drinking holes and the population is professional not students and party-all-night people. Wood floors on a top floor apartment will be more of a noise issue for your neighbors than it will be for you. Quite frankly, as a single woman living alone, I might not sleep well in an isolated neighborhood in a mother-in-law cottage in the middle of Wellesley Farms and might feel safer living in a more populated area where someone might see or hear something if somebody was in trouble. If you decide on Wellesley Farms you are going to have to work harder at having a social life as your neighbors will be affluent families socializing at the yacht club not single people. Not sure if that is a priority for you or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts