Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2019, 11:47 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
I see mdovell has created a second user name.

That's way too many hypotheticals to justify an idea that wouldn't make sense otherwise.
As an RE holder in a Worcester 'burb, I approve of this fantasy. As a relatively sober resident of MA, anyone imagining Worcester as the economic hub of the state is ignoring a few centuries of development and capital flows. Boston will continue to be capital stronghold until it's submerged, and even then some developers might still keep building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2019, 11:50 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
I see mdovell has created a second user name.

That's way too many hypotheticals to justify an idea that wouldn't make sense otherwise.

I'm kind of laughing at people train commuting from Springfield to Worcester. You get off the train and then what? It's not like Worcester has the public transportation infrastructure to get you to your job. Most of them are on the 495 belt.

Old 09-24-2019, 12:12 PM

712 posts, read 542,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I'm kind of laughing at people train commuting from Springfield to Worcester. You get off the train and then what? It's not like Worcester has the public transportation infrastructure to get you to your job. Most of them are on the 495 belt.
Public transportation requirement on Worcester to let my hypothesis to be realized is not that high.

New Haven downtown definitely has better than Stamford downtown area in terms of buses. There are Yale free shuttles that any one can ride without need to show IDs. The Yale and free Union station bus has phone app real time tracking. Stamford only has one free shuttle circling downtown and Harbor point, its bus system sucks just like any CT other buses.

But that does not prevent Stamford to have much higher rental prices and much higher housing prices than New Haven's. This is mainly because of the factors I am talking about in force. Stamford does not have big reputable university, nor big hospital, not even better than Worcester. The only thing it has is very good near-subway level quality metro north near NYC. Boston/Worcester/Springfield could do the same.

Last edited by jxzz; 09-24-2019 at 12:36 PM..

Old 09-24-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
As an RE holder in a Worcester 'burb, I approve of this fantasy. As a relatively sober resident of MA, anyone imagining Worcester as the economic hub of the state is ignoring a few centuries of development and capital flows. Boston will continue to be capital stronghold until it's submerged, and even then some developers might still keep building.
I never argued for Worcester to replace Boston. What I said in my hypothesis is asking for below:
When Boston housing prices double, Worcester housing prices should double too with the help of better commuter rail. And, Worcester housing prices and rental prices should be significantly higher than that of Springfield area because it has better location and better train (sounds like future, not today yet).

Last edited by jxzz; 09-24-2019 at 12:42 PM..

Old 09-24-2019, 12:48 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,696,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxzz View Post
I never argued for Worcester to replace Boston. What I said in my hypothesis is asking for below:
When Boston housing prices double, Worcester housing prices should double too with the help of better commuter rail. And, Worcester housing prices and rental prices should be significantly higher than that of Springfield area because it has better location and better train (sounds like future, not today yet).
That's not really how it works. You're under the mistaken impression that people actually enjoy relying on commuter rail. They don't. And even if they did, it doesn't mean the value of houses would double.

Old 09-24-2019, 01:22 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,691 times
Quote:
Sure, but you imagined future is still implying Boston is the hub, which would still hinder Springfield growth as few would take a train daily from there to Boston ... unless your future also includes German-style high speed rail.

Given governance to date (state and federal), that's hard to imagine.

Old 09-24-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
That's not really how it works. You're under the mistaken impression that people actually enjoy relying on commuter rail. They don't. And even if they did, it doesn't mean the value of houses would double.
It does work in this way. My old colleagues when I was working in NYC told me, multiple sources that Stamford rental price and housing price factoring in the $300 + monthly pass is not any cheaper than
Bronx or Astoria (a district in Queens, near uptown or midtown Manhattan). Certainly not cheaper than many district of Queens or Brooklyn.

If one factor in 45 minutes express train or 1 hour 20 minutes slow train, it is hard to justify the price Stamford has today. But it does.

The reason is that Many people prefer to choose to live in Stamford and work in NYC, and vice versa. Many companies opened up offices, sometimes headquarters in Stamford and fairfield county area. Metro North ride certainly has better experiences than NYC subway, usually no need for standing, not that crowded. Commute in subway within NYC can easily go to 1 hours, sometimes to 2 hours. Driving is even worse.

Boston metro congestion woes just started. Worcester certainly has potential to be preferred place for commuters and for many offices to relocate over from Boston. I know the train Worcester Line is not at same level of Stamford today on Metro North. But the "potential" is there.

Springfield can rise together with Worcester on this theory of better trains.

Old 09-24-2019, 01:42 PM

2,811 posts, read 2,182,574 times
Quote:
You can walk around 5 blocks of Brattleboro without a car. Good luck going anywhere else in VT with no car lol.
I wonder where all those hikers on the Long Trail park. Never mind the fact that nearly every hamlet in Vermont has public transportation.

Old 09-24-2019, 01:47 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,098,971 times
There is almost no thought by residents of Springfield and the towns west of the river about working in Worcester. Almost everyone will look south to Hartford before even thinking of Worcester.
Maybe people in the Eastern burbs might, but outside of Wilbraham , Ludlow and Palmer the population drops quickly. So I don't think the demand for commuter rail east is there.
If anything I'd like to see more weekend and weeknight trains going east. If I was able to hit a Bruins game by train I'd be more inclined to go. And more frequent weekend trips home where I didn't have to drive would also be a plus.
But as far as Western Mass goes. I think the focus should be more North/ South with rail. The job centers are all along the CT river. That's where the people out here work and play. I'm in the smaller percentage of people who commute east for work. And let me tell you it's not an easy task. From exit 17 on the Pike to exit 6 last Friday took me 3.5 hours. And that was leaving work at 2 in the afternoon.

Old 09-24-2019, 02:18 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Boston metro congestion woes just started.

That's a real thigh-slapper!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts