Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2019, 01:40 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Don't use the wax ring with the rubber insert in the middle as well.

The flange should have really been raised. It should be flush with the floor, with only about 0.25" above or below allowance. They make flange extension kits to correct this issue.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Oatey-43...c313da959dbe67

Of course, I realize people just slap the thicker wax ring on and call it a day. A plumber friend of mine admitted to me once that when he runs into a flange that is lower than it should be, he just slaps two wax rings on top of each other and calls it a day. By the time it fails (from the bowl shifting as people sit on it over the years) he's long gone and off the hook
While correct, my engineering side prefers 2 sealing surfaces over 4.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2019, 04:56 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
That’s funny. I had the opposite opinion. That second seal doesn’t see liquid

Last edited by BostonMike7; 09-25-2019 at 05:29 PM..

Old 09-26-2019, 01:34 PM

2,710 posts, read 1,732,864 times
I found a plumber who would do it for $200, is that reasonable? I asked about the flange and he says the new floor should be the same height since they're ripping up the old floor.

Old 09-30-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post
I found a plumber who would do it for $200, is that reasonable? I asked about the flange and he says the new floor should be the same height since they're ripping up the old floor.
Reasonable to get an insured/licensed guy to drive to your house, yes. Burning money on a task that an educated 8 year old could do, were they strong enough to lift a toilet ... also yes.

Honesty, just watch a Youtube vid and do it yourself. Of all the DIY taks in home, this might be the easiest. The hardest part is getting all the water out of the toilet to remove it the first place - who's doing that?

Old 10-01-2019, 08:17 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
$200 isn't bad for the task. I second the notion that it is a simple thing to DIY, but I also find that the older I get, the less crap I want to do and i'd rather just pay someone as well.

Old 10-01-2019, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
$200 isn't bad for the task. I second the notion that it is a simple thing to DIY, but I also find that the older I get, the less crap I want to do and i'd rather just pay someone as well.
He just removed it for $100 (and I'll give him $100 to put it back). He had to cut the deadbolts off cause they wouldn't unscrew. Although it's easy, I found it convenient to pay him rather than strain my back.

Old 10-01-2019, 10:42 AM

875 posts, read 663,831 times
Quote:
He just removed it for $100 (and I'll give him $100 to put it back). He had to cut the deadbolts off cause they wouldn't unscrew. Although it's easy, I found it convenient to pay him rather than strain my back.
That is very inexpensive for a plumber these days. Like all home owner tasks, you have to balance skill/interest/$/time vs outsourcing. However, if you bought an old home I would suggest that you start to take on some DIY projects. There is lots of info on youtube, forums etc. ..start with the easier stuff.

We have renovated every property that we have owned which takes a certain kind of crazy - a lot of DIY, to acting as GC, to hiring a GC. We got a lot of satisfaction from the DIY jobs. In addition to the $ savings/sweat equity it is so completely different from our day jobs that it is enjoyable.

The list of things to be done in an old home can be a bit daunting at first but it is important to prioritize what must be done now vs what you can live with. After living somewhere for a year, your list of priorities may change considerably too so don't rush into the nice-to-have.

good luck

Last edited by sawyer2; 10-01-2019 at 10:53 AM..

Old 10-02-2019, 02:25 PM

Quote:
If you can afford it, that's a fine compromise.

This said, these 200-500 dollar "convenience" jobs over time amount to very real dollars, depending on the scope of work - particularly small plumbing and electrical tasks. The rates my friends in the trades charge an hour amount to a pretty hefty gross income (to account for overhead), enough to justify doing the work myself despite a triple digit income.

I'll happily sub out tasks like siding or roofing as the labor is cheaper and I lack the man power and tools for the job.

Old 10-02-2019, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
If you can afford it, that's a fine compromise.

This said, these 200-500 dollar "convenience" jobs over time amount to very real dollars, depending on the scope of work - particularly small plumbing and electrical tasks. The rates my friends in the trades charge an hour amount to a pretty hefty gross income (to account for overhead), enough to justify doing the work myself despite a triple digit income.

I'll happily sub out tasks like siding or roofing as the labor is cheaper and I lack the man power and tools for the job.
We have a needy toddler so it's hard to get anything done, sometimes I don't even brush my teeth or eat lunch. When he's older I'll be sure to try to do more things on my own.

Old 10-05-2019, 09:57 PM

So the floor guys just finished upstairs and I found a plank with a dent in it - not big but I noticed it as a homeowner. I doubt a guest would notice it. Should I complain about this or let it go? I feel like I paid a lot of money but at the same time, it seems like overkill for them to rip out the floor that they just put in to replace it.

Also they keep leaving windows open with the lights on and heat on (so the wood can acclimate). Very annoying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
View detailed profiles of: