Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2019, 05:15 AM

10,018 posts, read 15,662,194 times

Advertisements

They are supposed to deliver the wood and let it sit for a 2-3 days to acclimate in the room where it's going to be installed.Then install it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2019, 04:04 PM

2,710 posts, read 1,732,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
They are supposed to deliver the wood and let it sit for a 2-3 days to acclimate in the room where it's going to be installed.Then install it.
They did. So I can turn the heat off now? Or do I leave it on all the time?

Old 10-06-2019, 05:03 PM

10,018 posts, read 15,662,194 times
You can turn the heat down. I don't know why they would be opening the windows.

Old 10-06-2019, 11:00 PM

2,710 posts, read 1,732,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
You can turn the heat down. I don't know why they would be opening the windows.
Well it was hot during the day (no AC) but cold at night. They also ripped up tile which was very dusty.

Old 10-07-2019, 06:57 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post
So the floor guys just finished upstairs and I found a plank with a dent in it - not big but I noticed it as a homeowner. I doubt a guest would notice it. Should I complain about this or let it go? I feel like I paid a lot of money but at the same time, it seems like overkill for them to rip out the floor that they just put in to replace it.

Also they keep leaving windows open with the lights on and heat on (so the wood can acclimate). Very annoying.
Stuff happens. You could demand replacement, and you'd be within your right to do so, but floors are ultimately wear items which receive plenty of unintended abuse regardless of the care taken by home owners. Given that you have a toddler, I'd be inclined to let the contractor move on knowing many more dents will occur.

Old 10-21-2019, 08:00 AM

31 posts, read 16,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
Regarding getting permits so that the town building inspector comes to sign off on the work: does this generally protect you from shoddy work? Eg if plumbing, do they check for bad welds. Or flooring, did they leave gap for expansion etc etc?
It increases the price but it protects you against plumbing code violations and you can sue the guy if he doesn’t know what he is doing!

Example: an unlicensed guy did a plumbing job for heat and hot water for $5-7,000. I came in to do something else for the homeowner and notified him that there were multiple mistakes in that work. A plumbing inspector came in and wrote a list of 12 mistakes that needed to be corrected in order to pass plumbing inspection. The homeowner settled out of court with the guy’s company! Homeowner has a legal well designed and maintained heat and hot water system now which he deserves for paying big money for!

Old 10-21-2019, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post
Well it was hot during the day (no AC) but cold at night. They also ripped up tile which was very dusty.
If the dust goes inside your furnace - it will be toast! Have them explain why there is a dent? Was the foundation under he floor uneven, if so, that part will collapse in a few years..

Old 10-21-2019, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
Regarding getting permits so that the town building inspector comes to sign off on the work: does this generally protect you from shoddy work? Eg if plumbing, do they check for bad welds. Or flooring, did they leave gap for expansion etc etc?
with plumbing it protects you, but if a guy did a cheap job that follows the rules, it’s still a cheap job though. Without a permit it’s much cheaper but it’s illegal and you are writing a cat in a bag

Old 10-21-2019, 08:39 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevepumpkinman View Post
with plumbing it protects you, but if a guy did a cheap job that follows the rules, it’s still a cheap job though. Without a permit it’s much cheaper but it’s illegal and you are writing a cat in a bag
This is something more homeowners need to understand - code is not a quality assurance. I'll take unpermitted work by a diligent/capable homeowner verses permitted work by a lowest bidding hack. I've see some truly awful plumbing and electrical rough ins which were definitely permitted/inspected, and of course, I've seen an even larger number of awful DIY jobs ... including in my own home

Old 10-28-2019, 11:53 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,161,204 times
Maybe, I've just been lucky, but I've never really seen something like this or have it done enough that I would notice or it would bother me, but we recently had work done in the house, and the handyman/contractor instead of using a ladder like you would think, wore his shoes and stepped on our toilet and sinks and in the kitchen he stepped on the counters. He did use a ladder when there was nothing to step on. Is this just a standard acceptable way of doing stuff?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
View detailed profiles of: