Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2019, 07:30 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
It’s interesting that they spent the money to investigate the state police for overtime fraud and those police offers have to pay back the money. God forbid they investigate people doing welfare fraud. Can’t hurt poor people’s feelings these days.
Quote:
No one mentioned anything about feelings. Why is it ok for people to lie about being on welfare but police are interrogated for falsifying a few hours. The times we live in today.

Yes you did. You specifically did.

And it was not falsifying a "few hours". It was widespread systematic fraud by state employees.

And this is what the auditors and investigators for the State do. They investigate systematic and widespread fraud, including public assistance benefit fraud.

As I stated, already, investigating singular small time fraud is usually cost infective. It takes more money in resources to expose and end it than it does in savings. It's a money loser. That has nothing at all to do with whether it is ok or not. No one is implying or stating it is ok to commit fraud.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2019, 08:01 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,191 times
At least the police work. Maybe they gamed the system because they don’t make enough while people on welfare sit on their ass and do nothing and still make about 50k a year at the end of the day. Sorry I stand with police on this one.

Old 09-30-2019, 08:09 AM

15,957 posts, read 7,021,038 times
Quote:
It’s interesting that they spent the money to investigate the state police for overtime fraud and those police offers have to pay back the money. God forbid they investigate people doing welfare fraud. Can’t hurt poor people’s feelings these days.
Poor people don’t have unions for one thing that assess them lifetime pension and healthcare. Just because they are poor and defraud ( looks like more fraud is committed by the rich in public housing) they should not be punished more than the fraud committed by public employees. It is right we punish the police more because they make out more, not only in fraudulent OT but also with lifetime greater pension.

Old 09-30-2019, 08:12 AM

15,957 posts, read 7,021,038 times
Quote:
At least the police work. Maybe they gamed the system because they don’t make enough while people on welfare sit on their ass and do nothing and still make about 50k a year at the end of the day. Sorry I stand with police on this one.
Did you even see the amount of money they made and the pensions they get based on their fraudulent OT hours?

Old 09-30-2019, 08:13 AM

15,794 posts, read 20,493,343 times
Quote:
Many of the state police accused of detail fraud had salaries well into the 6-figure range with pension payouts calculated on the inflated numbers.

As much as I support the police in general, I saw plenty of detail fraud during my 10 years as a contractor for the state. You were expected to "play the game" or you got blacklisted. Everyone kept their mouth shut because it was a good way to get out of a ticket if ever needed (you scratch my back, i'll scratch yours).

Medford was recently outed as well.

Old 09-30-2019, 08:17 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:

So you stand with fraud at taxpayer's expense, as long as it is people you approve of. Check.

Old 09-30-2019, 08:43 AM

1,970 posts, read 2,235,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Social benefit programs don't always look at assets but some of that is changing. Public housing authorities are looking closer

"There's also, according to the report, one family of three earning $212,000 — and living in public housing."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sou...emplate=ampart
I personally know two "households" in Boston (city proper), the head of each has $1 million in assets (one has much more) yet lives in housing that was purchased with significant government subsidies.

The poorer of the two (she has about one million in assets) rents out the subsidized unit on Air BnB for additional income, and lives in, yes, a (different) parent-purchased apartment.

I don't know if this sort of thing also happens in NYC or San Francisco, but it was eye-opening to me as a transplant from the Midwest, how these two acquaintances vastly enriched themselves (these are now high-six-figure apartments) at the public trough.

Old 09-30-2019, 09:02 AM

2,710 posts, read 1,731,729 times
Quote:
They do work but there is also plenty of fraud committed. My brother in law is a police officer and he admits that he takes naps in his cruiser while on duty, he says everybody does. They also milk the clock so they get OT and call out sick all the time. He takes home a good 130k each year from all the OT.

Old 09-30-2019, 09:24 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,119,515 times
Details by police officers are fraud period. We should not be paying someone $60/hr to play on their phone. I know plenty of people that do it for way less

Old 09-30-2019, 12:07 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,191 times
Don’t even get me started on the fraud committed by the 1%. The bonuses I see some people get are sickening. The ceo at my last company got a bonus of 5 million one year. No way she earned that herself but it all went to her.

Last edited by Bridge781; 09-30-2019 at 12:09 PM.. Reason: Added
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts