Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2019, 11:40 AM

20,090 posts, read 8,995,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
Again it’s my jealousy showing I guess but I have been getting irritated by this whole concept. I know it’s part of the reason prices have become so insane around here with no signs of stopping. If daddy has the money for Katie to live the high life since she didn’t do it herself if course he’s going to help her get there. He has done well in his own career and i admit that if I had the money I would probably help my own kids. My reality is that I’ll never have a lifestyle where I can just give my kid a house on canton ave in Milton. It seems crazy to me. I think I’m naive to how much money some of these baby boomers have.

Another girl I know is a recovering drug addict, has had major issues, already on her 2nd husband and is now pregnant. She’s 35, not exactly young but fresh out if rehab and who knows if she’ll stay clean. Daddy just bought her and her loser husband a house in Brookline. Brookline! Must be nice.
life ain't fair, now get back to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2019, 11:47 AM

19,013 posts, read 14,186,291 times
Yes, there is a conspiracy to deny good housing to the masses. Get over it.
Easy to prove.

Try to :
Find any producer of 'basic' housing that builds better / sturdier than 'custom.'
Find a mobile home / modular home manufacturer that can build a luxury model.

The higher the price, the nicer the nice, as the song goes.
But even if you're an owner / builder, financing, zoning, and building codes will stymie any attempt at building a resilient, disaster resistant, opulent, autonomous, and multigenerational house.

Check out tridpanel website, and look up the page where Jimmy Carter is helping build hurricane proof houses in Florida. There's a few photos of concrete sandwich wall tridpanel houses that endured hurricanes. Here's the catch - these houses were built by Habitat for Humanity - for po' folk. Guess what they switched to when they rebuilt in the New Orleans area? Wood frame garbage in a flood prone, termite infested, humid climate. It was glaringly obvious that you cannot build better homes for 'po folks' when the rich folks' houses are obliterated by the storm.

When parents give homes to their children, they're still not giving them the best possible construction. That's sad.

Old 09-25-2019, 02:41 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,717,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
In the 70's I was dating a girl. She led her parents to believe we were discussing marriage. Her father sat me down and said if we married, he would buy us a house but her name would be on the deed for 10 years then, if still married, transferred to both our names. I thanked him but had no interest in marrying her. It ended soon after.
ADDITION

For MikePru

His house backed up to Brae Burn CC and they wanted her living in the same area. Waban I believe? They were Jewish and at that time would not have been allowed as members at Brae Burn

Old 09-25-2019, 02:59 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,546,120 times
It just feels like it’s almost becoming expected for parents to pay for college, the wedding, the down payment and now the whole damn house?

Katie actually has a good job and her husband is a Boston cop. They can afford their own house. Not sure if the area of Milton they will be given a house is in their budget...but they ain’t broke.

Old 09-25-2019, 03:11 PM

2,202 posts, read 5,354,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
It just feels like it’s almost becoming expected for parents to pay for college, the wedding, the down payment and now the whole damn house?

Katie actually has a good job and her husband is a Boston cop. They can afford their own house. Not sure if the area of Milton they will be given a house is in their budget...but they ain’t broke.
Stop stalking Katie and her husband and focus on your own life. This is starting to get creepy. Besides, you'll never get ahead if you just go through life jealous and bitter about the good fortune of others instead of trying to improve your own.

Old 09-25-2019, 03:12 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,527,983 times
We households under six figures are virtually all broke and renting forever these days if we don’t slum it in a Gateway City. That’s steadily becoming more fun these days though.

Old 09-25-2019, 03:26 PM

I do focus on my own life. Just had to post about this phenomenon.

Old 09-25-2019, 04:06 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,426,103 times
I don't think it's all that common. I think it's common, when possible, for parents who can to help with a downpayment. That can be the biggest challenge here.

The one family I know who had a house practically given to them had a scenario that is probably increasingly common in this area. My coworker's wife's parents were middle class and saved their whole lives. They bought in Lexington in the 70s and never moved. Lexington was never cheap, but the prices today are obscene. The in-laws decided they wanted their grandkids to get the Lexington education their kids had, but my coworker and her wife make probably $160K between them and would never be able to afford the city.

Rather than buy them a house, they sold the family their family home for the inflation-adjusted amount it cost for them to buy it - a fraction of what it's worth now. My coworker was able to pay for most of it with the money they got from their condo sale in Malden.

The in-laws then relocated to a vacation home they purchased 20 years ago. They've also talked about moving to Florida or somewhere else cheap to retire.

I think a lot of solidly middle class families are sitting on a goldmine with their homes. If you were lucky enough to buy in Arlington, Medford, Malden, Quincy, etc. before things got out of control, your home could be worth 2 or 3 times (or more!) what you paid for it. Some families may need that cash for their own retirement funds, but if they don't, it may seem practical to keep the wealth in the family.

Old 09-25-2019, 04:14 PM

I’m also not stalking her. Her dad told me.

Old 09-25-2019, 04:16 PM

That’s true about a lot of middle class people around here basically being house rich as well. Many more are house rich, second house rich, job rich and probably stock market rich.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts