Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2019, 03:27 AM

1 posts, read 1,005 times

Advertisements

Hi I am currently looking to buy a house in Bedford (up to 800k). I wonder if there is certain area I should avoid? Also I saw there are large areas of flood plain in Bedford. Has flood ever happened in the area of flood plain?
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2019, 03:08 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,637,296 times
From personal observation only, when driving through Bedford many times to Lexington and Burlington from Acton, I never experienced having to get through a lot of water, despite there having been many bad rainstorms and even a minor tornado touching down near Hanscom, during that period.

Always ideal to get the facts and check the maps.

Old 10-19-2019, 03:23 PM

162 posts, read 101,918 times
I went to elementary school in Bedford and lived along the Shawsheen River but that was @ 65 years ago. Here's the flood plan link:

https://www.bedfordma.gov/home/pages...ls-for-bedford

I'm an old geezer but, if I have enough grey matter left to express an opinion, I think you would be most concerned about the very west part of town. Also, old buildings in old neighborhoods that weren't built at today's wetlands standards.

I remember there was a swamp at the bottom of Perham and Madardis that they built a church over the swamp. There might have been water problems at least in the parking lot. I think the Shawsheen River ran next to the Bucci farm near the elementary school. I knew one of their kids and we hung together there at the farm and I went to that school. I don't remember any water problems in that area at the time.

I had a very happy childhood in Bedford but people really pay $800k to live there? Lol.

Old 10-19-2019, 06:51 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,717,749 times
I have very fond memories of Bedford MA. I was brought up in Waltham and in the 1970's the Travel Lodge Motel in Bedford was our go to shack-up place. It was reasonably price, nice, clean, had a small pool, etc. All you could ask for. Brings back memories of Cookie, Brenda.....enough......LOL

Old 10-20-2019, 05:27 PM

2,710 posts, read 1,728,576 times
My friend lives there and recommends to avoid living near Hanscom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts