Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2019, 02:12 PM

5 posts, read 2,251 times

Advertisements

Heya folks!

We are looking to relocate along the I-91 corridor this summer, ideally near Northampton. Our kiddo will be entering kindergarten and if we stayed put, she would be in a gifted/accelerated program. Any recommendations for public school districts that may have programs to accommodate her besides East Longmeadow? We probably won't have the $$ for Montessori/private schools.

Thanks!

Last edited by beepboop11; 11-09-2019 at 02:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2019, 05:53 PM

3,693 posts, read 7,461,680 times
How can you possibly know that your child entering kindergarten will eventually need a gifted program?

Old 11-09-2019, 06:16 PM

10,068 posts, read 15,754,962 times
Public schools here don't generally place children in a gifted/talented program at such a young age.

Old 11-09-2019, 07:31 PM

26,666 posts, read 28,818,811 times
I think you should just get a decent town and let her go to school there. It's the parents who make the most difference anyway. Don't pressure her. Just let her be a kid. Most elementary schools are about the same anyway and it's much too early to start concerning yourself with gifted programs. I say this as a former teacher. You can take her to museums, to parks, and most importantly, read to her. No, she won't be any better off learning to read early but she will be better off spending time with you while you read to her. Probably nothing helps a kid more than the closeness and enjoyment of having a parent read to them.

Old 11-10-2019, 10:05 PM

2,710 posts, read 1,759,070 times
Just curious what a gifted 5 year old is capable of, do they do algebra or something?

Old 11-10-2019, 10:32 PM

162 posts, read 103,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post
Just curious what a gifted 5 year old is capable of, do they do algebra or something?
Remember Mason Reese? The kindergarten kid who did the Underwood Deviled Ham commercials in the 1970's - 3 feet tall, 40 pounds overweight, talked with a lisp, shock of red hair in a goofy page boy cut, and a face that would stop a clock?

That was a gifted/accelerated 5-year-old. (Glad to hear he's successful and married to a hot model/actress type.) Doesn't every parent think their pre-schooler is awesome? Not sure about acting funny over it though.

Old 11-11-2019, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
How can you possibly know that your child entering kindergarten will eventually need a gifted program?

Programs starts in kindergarten here, and "gifted" just means they work above grade level in class. Not that they are geniuses, or Ivy-league bound, or anything else.

Kiddo is currently performing above grade level in reading and math and performs well on practice tests, and she might benefit from an accelerated program... or she may not. Just wanted to explore all options

Old 11-11-2019, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I think you should just get a decent town and let her go to school there. It's the parents who make the most difference anyway. Don't pressure her. Just let her be a kid. Most elementary schools are about the same anyway and it's much too early to start concerning yourself with gifted programs. I say this as a former teacher. You can take her to museums, to parks, and most importantly, read to her. No, she won't be any better off learning to read early but she will be better off spending time with you while you read to her. Probably nothing helps a kid more than the closeness and enjoyment of having a parent read to them.

Thank you, and I agree-- reading + cultural exposure have been foremost in our activities.

My background is in psychology and I have many issues with labeling, standardized testing, pressured learning, etc. I wouldn't even be considering accelerated programs but she currently works at a 2nd/3rd grade level in reading and 1st grade in math. And here, "g&t" programs begin at K and just mean they work above class level.

Happy to hear recommendations for schools/districts from a former educator!

Old 11-11-2019, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post

"Gifted" here just means they work above grade level. "Accelerated" would be a better word for it.

Old 11-11-2019, 08:52 AM

26,666 posts, read 28,818,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beepboop11 View Post
"Gifted" here just means they work above grade level. "Accelerated" would be a better word for it.
To be honest, I don't know if there are any of that sort of program here. When I taught that age group, I just gave more challenging work to the "gifted" kids and also gave them more responsibility, especially in helping other kids.

Most towns are fine from K-5/6 and then might not be so good after that. I'd say stay away from Springfield, Holyoke, Chicopee, the cities. Easthampton is starting to make some progress and their elementary schools are probably borderline okay. Longmeadow is pressure cooker so I'd stay away from that, lots of peer pressure for fashion and status too, no diversity either. But any other town I can think of probably falls in between and would be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts