Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2019, 05:27 PM

5 posts, read 7,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
Sounds like you are looking for a new(or newer) home with about 2500 sqft and an ok lot size AND good schools. Newton @ 1.5M would get you this. Natick might be a better "bang for the buck" if you drop the "gold plated" schools requirement.
BTW, in my opinion:

san Mateo(or maybe Cupertino for schools) = Newton
Cupertino = Lexington
palo alto = Brookline
nice area of san jose = Wellesley (larger lot sizes , but still close by)
Hillsborough = Weston
pacific heights = back bay
Why is there such a steep drop off in price between natick and Wellesley? Is natick a safe area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2019, 05:33 PM

2,321 posts, read 1,736,158 times
I like Newton a lot. The reason I mentioned Weston was the commute synergy is better there. I'd stick to the upper part of Newton.

Note that the Mass Pike is terribad during regular commuting hours.

Old 11-24-2019, 05:33 PM
Status: "On my way to sunny South Carolina" (set 1 day ago)

9,915 posts, read 15,482,556 times
Safe, but not as nice as Wellesley.

Old 11-24-2019, 05:35 PM

2,321 posts, read 1,736,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamove2020 View Post
Why is there such a steep drop off in price between natick and Wellesley? Is natick a safe area?
Before housing prices skyrocketed, Natick was more of a working/middle class town. Wellesley has always been upper class. The western side of Natick is not so great.

Edit: Plus the commute starts to get a little long from there. Kendall would not be a great commute.

Old 11-24-2019, 05:59 PM

880 posts, read 810,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamove2020 View Post

I’m not seeing much in newton to be honest. Seems like you have to go up to 1.5m to get anything nice.
Btw, the public transportation to cambridge is doable, but not optimal because you have to switch trains. You would think Boston would prioritize public transportation into a major job location.

Old 11-24-2019, 07:49 PM

5,985 posts, read 4,967,429 times
Not sure why no one is suggesting Winchester! Stellar town on all counts. If you live close to Rt 3 (or can get someone to drop you off at a bus stop), you can catch the 350 bus to Alewife and then the Red Line to Kendall Sq. Probably ~40 min commute.

Old 11-24-2019, 10:01 PM

604 posts, read 552,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Not sure why no one is suggesting Winchester! Stellar town on all counts. If you live close to Rt 3 (or can get someone to drop you off at a bus stop), you can catch the 350 bus to Alewife and then the Red Line to Kendall Sq. Probably ~40 min commute.
If I’m making 330k, my time is too valuable to deal with a bus. I’m just driving all the way in.

Old 11-25-2019, 07:36 AM

5,985 posts, read 4,967,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BosYuppie View Post
If I’m making 330k, my time is too valuable to deal with a bus. I’m just driving all the way in.
I seriously doubt one would save time driving in to Kendall vs. the bus/T combo. I don't work in Kendall but have done the latter commute many times so can speak from experience. But whatever...

Old 11-25-2019, 08:03 AM

4,539 posts, read 4,791,740 times
Quote:
If I'm making 330k, my time is too valuable to deal with idling in traffic. On the bus/train, I can do things that are productive. In a car I can only ***** at traffic

Old 11-25-2019, 08:03 AM

1,893 posts, read 1,377,891 times
Quote:
It all depends on where you live, but this is somewhat outdated thinking. Perhaps you'd think you were somehow entitled to something better than public transportation at a certain salary. In reality public transportation is often the quickest way to get to work, also affording the rider time to work via their smartphone rather than focusing on the road and traffic.

Even in Manhattan where rating high enough for car service was once a sign one had arrived, many forgo this perk to get to work more quickly via subway.

To the OP. I live and work in Cambridge. The happiest people I know who commute from the suburbs live in Winchester, Arlington and Belmont. Anywhere else is a grind and getting worse daily. More and more people, particularly in your age range, are sacrificing some of their home must haves for convenience, often opting for condo living in Cambridge or Somerville. Less time commuting, more time with your child (and much easier to coordinate child care).

I honestly wouldn't even consider places like Wellesley if you know you will be working in Cambridge. The commute just does not make sense.

Last edited by porterhouse; 11-25-2019 at 08:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts