Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2019, 12:04 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,112,957 times

Advertisements

You can drive at 16, or maybe it is 16 and a half. You can definitely own a gun at 16. Younger in fact. Kids are hunting before that age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2019, 02:32 PM

14,289 posts, read 14,853,794 times
I say drive at 16, vote at 18, drink at 18, and not allowed to marry until 28.

Old 11-30-2019, 03:00 PM

5,973 posts, read 2,914,665 times
I believe, under Obama Care, Twenty six year old's are under Mommy's and Daddy's insurance . So now the sixteen year old adult can vote and hang out while making decisions for Real adults while they play X-Box.

Old 11-30-2019, 09:14 PM

24,690 posts, read 17,427,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
You can drive at 16, or maybe it is 16 and a half. You can definitely own a gun at 16. Younger in fact. Kids are hunting before that age.

In Mass it is 16.5 to drive but to own a rifle you need to be 18 for the required FID card and 21 to own a handgun. The kids that are hunting are using a gun that is licensed to a parent.

How can Brookline lower the age to 16 while the rest of the state is still 21? Are the kids now allowed to vote in local elections but not state and certainly not federal ones?
Do they get a kids ballot to fill out with a crayon along with a juice box when done?

I can't help but wonder how hard they would be pushing for this lower voting age if a poll showed that the kids would all be voting for Republicans?

Old 11-30-2019, 09:24 PM

21,805 posts, read 12,983,597 times
In case anyone didn’t know-a good number of cities and towns in other states have been doing this for a while now- it not revolutionary and doesn’t cause blowback.

Old 12-01-2019, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
In Mass it is 16.5 to drive but to own a rifle you need to be 18 for the required FID card and 21 to own a handgun. The kids that are hunting are using a gun that is licensed to a parent.

How can Brookline lower the age to 16 while the rest of the state is still 21? Are the kids now allowed to vote in local elections but not state and certainly not federal ones?
Do they get a kids ballot to fill out with a crayon along with a juice box when done?

I can't help but wonder how hard they would be pushing for this lower voting age if a poll showed that the kids would all be voting for Republicans?
You can get a FID at 15 in Massachusetts. Plenty of people at that age have them.

Old 12-01-2019, 11:44 AM

And I have no idea what "licensed" means, but there is no license needed for a hunting shotgun. Minors can't buy one, but they can be given one as a gift and own it.

Old 12-01-2019, 02:18 PM

12,237 posts, read 8,152,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I don't understand this push to get kids to vote at 16. There are so many things that require one to be 18 or even 21 to do, many potentially life altering things such as driving, smoking tobacco and marijuana, drinking alcohol, joining the military, owning a gun etc.. They also tell us how the brains of young people do not fully develop until 26 so for some juvenile criminal offenders there is the argument that they did not understand the crime they were committing and should be given a pass BUT given all this they think their brains are developed enough to cast an all important vote at the tender age of 16?

I would say at 16 the kids have been brainwashed to vote a certain way and that is why "they" are pushing for it before the kids can make up their own minds with a well informed opinion.

Given what we have been seeing from our youngsters lately, "do they still eat Tide pods?" we should be raising the participation age of many things to 21 and that includes voting.
Marijuana = / = Life Altering or Harmful
Sincerely, a 'formerish' Biologist who wrote a thesis on the molecular effects of Marijuana's primary substances.

On the topic of Tide Pods, although stupid, dont diminish anything previous generations did. In the 80s, cocaine was done just about everywhere which lead to massive rates of addictions. Im not even close to 16 year old being born in the 90s, but its simply unfair to duct points from Gen Z, when its a relative situation. Current 16 year olds didnt do the tide pod challenge. That cohort of Tide Poders are 18+ now.

How I see it as told to vote a certain way, is just the changing times. Marijuana is proven to be non addictive and not necessarily bad for health. So the populace will vote around the new . The new generation wants a more European/Left system for Health and are sick of the boomer pro-wealthy system, sooo... theyll vote a candidate who offers them that? The new generation wants an education system with lower amounts of standardized testing that the Boomers initiated, sooo GenZ will vote to undo it for a more modern/advanced system of education style. The LGBT community is now accepted more as religion wanes in popularity and human rights are more of a concern to GenZ, sooo unlike their past generations will vote for somehow who supports equality. Young generations vote to innovate the future and elder generations need to understand that. When im 60, I am sure the new generation will change it up and vote differently than how I vote. Some of the laws we put in place these upcoming decades might be outdated or impractical for the times, so they need to change. So what will they do? Vote someone to adhere to the changing views. Its not being persuaded to vote a certain way, its to vote for the changing times.

if you dont like the change you have to remember, the 1960s and 1970s saw major political changes from the Boomers as they voted to adhere the changing times. However, since the 80s when trickle down brutally failed the wealth gap has drastically increased with the top 1% owning 58% of the country's wealth. Yikes. Insulin viles cost $300. Publlic Transportation funding is at an all time low, Amazon and large corps dont pay taxes while cutting employee benefits and pay. To boot, if I made 100 Billion dollars, Im only taxed 34% now and I take 60 Billion out of circulation. So Yeah.. ANYTHING is better than what the older folks did since 1980 to this country. So with that, Im very okay with a 16 year old voting because it simply cant get any worse.

So I ask you Boomers, as someone who is not a GenZ, just let the GenZ fix the mess that has been caused since ~1975. Judging by the work ethic, caring capacity and economic strain GenZ has showed, I have very high hopes for the generation whose earliest memories are the economic recession and seeing their own country attack Iraq.

Last edited by masssachoicetts; 12-01-2019 at 02:36 PM..

Old 12-01-2019, 02:48 PM

18,362 posts, read 26,567,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
And I have no idea what "licensed" means, but there is no license needed for a hunting shotgun. Minors can't buy one, but they can be given one as a gift and own it.
Not accurate in MA: https://www.mass.gov/info-details/gu...while-hunting-

Old 12-01-2019, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Your link supports my claim. FID cards can be applied for at 14, issued at 15. You can't buy a shotgun under 18, you can be given one as a gift, and traditionally this is your first weapon in hunting families. There is nothing restricting 15 yos in Mass from having FID cards ( w/ parents permission,) a shotgun, and hunting at 15. In your link, the "firearms license" does not mean a license for a specific firearm, but a FID card. Which means a person can own and have a firearm. A hunting license is not synonymous with a FID card. Owning a shotgun to hunt, and being licensed to hunt are very different things. I never mentioned not needing a license to hunt, I said owning a hunting shotgun.

Please people. If you need to look up your positions on google, you don't have enough knowledge to make a position.

Last edited by timberline742; 12-01-2019 at 05:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts