Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2019, 06:52 PM

2,710 posts, read 1,729,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
There's plenty of land to build on. Getting approval to build the required density to make money is hard though. The other problem is that you'll get to the point where lenders will stop approving loans because the DTI is so high. Right now they are just like "whatever" and dump potential toxic mortgages on the secondary market but they likely have limits too.
Lexington has plenty of land to build? I'm not familiar with the real estate there but I'm next door in Burlington and there's literally nowhere to build. That's why there's so many $450k tear down to $1.3 million mcmansions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2019, 07:23 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amontillado View Post
Oh, I don't know. Maybe the kids come out knowing a little Latin.
Did that make you feel good, making fun of that poster for a silly and very common misspelling? (If you've only ever heard per se, not seen it written, of course you are likely to spell it per say.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
Woosh.
And you joined in on the fun. What was the point?

============

Quote:
Originally Posted by jks1985 View Post
You both sound like you are doing well for yourselves. You don't think growing up in Lexington had anything to do with it?

I went to a high school that ranks horribly (4/10 or 3/10) on those Good Schools sites. I'd say 80% of my graduating class never left the town. A high percentage of them are also addicted to some type of drugs (meth, painkillers, alcohol, etc.).

Only a handful of people in my 400 person graduating class are actually doing well.

I don't think that's the case with Lexington kids.
If your high school ranked that low, the demographics of your town are clearly HUGELY different from those of Lexington. And, of course, that is going to make a HUGE difference in how kids end up doing later.

Old 12-14-2019, 07:42 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,777,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post
Lexington has plenty of land to build? I'm not familiar with the real estate there but I'm next door in Burlington and there's literally nowhere to build. That's why there's so many $450k tear down to $1.3 million mcmansions.
Was talking more in general in the area. For Lexington, maybe near Route 2. And yes teardowns of SFH would be part of it.

I've always eyed redeveloping the Burlington Mall. Maybe the nearby office parks. Put in dense housing, kind of like what the Natick Mall did.

Old 12-15-2019, 04:27 AM

2,710 posts, read 1,729,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
Was talking more in general in the area. For Lexington, maybe near Route 2. And yes teardowns of SFH would be part of it.

I've always eyed redeveloping the Burlington Mall. Maybe the nearby office parks. Put in dense housing, kind of like what the Natick Mall did.
They are redeveloping the mall:
https://patch.com/massachusetts/burl...egin-next-year

But I don't think it includes housing. People would complain about the traffic if they made more condos.

Old 12-15-2019, 07:33 AM

9,874 posts, read 7,197,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post
They are redeveloping the mall:
https://patch.com/massachusetts/burl...egin-next-year

But I don't think it includes housing. People would complain about the traffic if they made more condos.
No housing involved at the Burlington Mall. Simon replaced the Sears auto center with smaller retail and dining space and the Sears section is being updated and subdivided into smaller space. Simon Properties is putting money into it as it's their #2 property in their portfolio.

Old 12-15-2019, 03:52 PM

604 posts, read 560,920 times
There are condos at the Third Street development, right?

It is a little curious mixed use didn’t go in on the former New England Executive Park properties next door too. The new buildings (oyster place, Td bank, etc) seem to be small given the plot sizes.

Old 12-16-2019, 05:28 AM

9,874 posts, read 7,197,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BosYuppie View Post
There are condos at the Third Street development, right?

It is a little curious mixed use didn’t go in on the former New England Executive Park properties next door too. The new buildings (oyster place, Td bank, etc) seem to be small given the plot sizes.
Third Ave. had many more empty buildings that were redeveloped. The housing units there are rentals.
IIRC, NEEP had less space that needed upgrading and they decided to go with retail and hospitality.

Old 12-24-2019, 07:01 AM

36 posts, read 31,432 times
I get living in a condo in a downtown urban area like South End or Seaport, but I never understand these large unit condos in the burbs surrounded by freeways, boulevards and strip malls. They're not that cheap either.

Old 12-24-2019, 07:30 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,806,919 times
If you can't build left and right then go up. Authorize assessory dwelling units and inlaw apartments.

Once we go onto self driving cars garages will easily be repurposed and that includes housing.

Old 12-24-2019, 07:46 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,777,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by probseattle View Post
I get living in a condo in a downtown urban area like South End or Seaport, but I never understand these large unit condos in the burbs surrounded by freeways, boulevards and strip malls. They're not that cheap either.
Want to live in the burbs but either can't afford an SFH or don't need that much space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts