Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2019, 05:32 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,719,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Chicagoliz, sometimes you confuse me.

You have said in the past that you would not, in good consciousness, recommend Concord to someone working in Boston. Yet, you are suggesting that Newton to Woonsocket is a possibility.
I only mention it because my neighbor does it every day in less than an hour -- often she has said it is closer to a half hour. I can't really argue with her because she is the one who actually experiences it. On the other hand, when I have spoken with people who live in Concord, I have heard about 2 hour commutes that happen far more frequently than they should.

When I lived in Philadelphia, the commute from the town where I lived to downtown was regularly 2 hours. (If there was no traffic, it would be about 40 minutes.) I took a job in another town that a lot of people thought was quite far away, but the commute was reliably an hour -- it could, on a good day, be 45 minutes. It was never, ever, even on the worst day of snow and ice, more than an 1 hr. 15 minutes. I would take that commute over the commute to Philadelphia any day. Certainly others would feel differently.

I throw it out there because it's not something that everyone would necessarily think of. The suggestion might help OP or lead to other ideas that she might not have thought of otherwise.

(Incidentally, Concord could work fine for someone working in Boston if they had a very, very regular schedule, didn't mind the train, and didn't care about ever going into Boston otherwise.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2019, 06:06 PM

10,007 posts, read 15,647,185 times
There is no way someone could commute from Newton to Woonsocket in half and hour. Your neighbor is fibbing.

Old 12-17-2019, 08:14 PM

8,547 posts, read 14,012,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
There is no way someone could commute from Newton to Woonsocket in half and hour. Your neighbor is fibbing.
Maybe her neighbor drives REALLY fast.

In all seriousness, if you were to live in Newton very near I95/RT128 and there were no traffic and you were speeding this is probably a 45 minute drive.

I used to live in Cumberland, RI (right next door to Woonsocket) and I often drove from there to Newton Center to visit my parents. I was also in my late 20's, driving a Honda S2000, and often being stupid so I drove expeditiously and that was a 40 to 50 minute drive on the weekends when there is no traffic.

Old 12-17-2019, 09:26 PM

It was definitely more than half an hour, and we aren't far from 95. I certainly wouldn't want to live near the Watertown border and do it. But there might be more options than are immediately obvious -- perhaps certain parts of Needham, or even Westwood might work. I don't know what the other considerations are for OP, but the options might be more than the obvious. (I probably would not have pursued a job in Woonsocket, so I was surprised that the commute was very do-able for her.)

Old 12-18-2019, 10:43 AM

32 posts, read 43,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
I only mention it because my neighbor does it every day in less than an hour -- often she has said it is closer to a half hour. I can't really argue with her because she is the one who actually experiences it. On the other hand, when I have spoken with people who live in Concord, I have heard about 2 hour commutes that happen far more frequently than they should.

(Incidentally, Concord could work fine for someone working in Boston if they had a very, very regular schedule, didn't mind the train, and didn't care about ever going into Boston otherwise.)
I remember this being discussed on another thread somewhere. 2 hr commutes from Concord to Boston are an absolute exception, perhaps during blizzard like conditions with accidents everywhere. Otherwise it's normally 60-90 min depending on if you take commuter rail or drive and where your office is in the city. Concordians also have easy access to Boston during off peak hours, and even easier access to Cambridge via Rte. 2.

Old 12-18-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volitans View Post
I remember this being discussed on another thread somewhere. 2 hr commutes from Concord to Boston are an absolute exception, perhaps during blizzard like conditions with accidents everywhere. Otherwise it's normally 60-90 min depending on if you take commuter rail or drive and where your office is in the city. Concordians also have easy access to Boston during off peak hours, and even easier access to Cambridge via Rte. 2.
This has definitely been discussed (multiple times) and it isn't really relevant to this thread, but the problem with commuting from Concord (or someplace similarly situated) every day in a car is that if you really need to be downtown by a particular time in the morning (because you have an important meeting or a court appearance or something like that), you need to leave 2 hours early due to the fact that it *could* take two hours, even though it often doesn't.

Old 12-18-2019, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
It was definitely more than half an hour, and we aren't far from 95. I certainly wouldn't want to live near the Watertown border and do it. But there might be more options than are immediately obvious -- perhaps certain parts of Needham, or even Westwood might work. I don't know what the other considerations are for OP, but the options might be more than the obvious. (I probably would not have pursued a job in Woonsocket, so I was surprised that the commute was very do-able for her.)
The ride to Woonsocket is not that bad. It's a bit of a reverse commute as a lot of people are headed in the other direction.

It really depends upon what the OP is after here. Do they want to feel connected to Boston? Would they prefer to be closer to Providence? Do neither of those things matter? What's their housing budget? How important are schools (i.e. do they feel they have to be in the #1 ranked district or is number 40 OK?)? How important is having a short commute vs. all of these other factors? It's a complex question that only one family has an answer to.

I do agree with you though that there are a lot of options aside from the 3 mentioned those just seemed like the most obvious choices based on the information at hand. When I worked in Smithfield, RI my boss lived in Walpole which has a lot to offer. Westwood and Needham are great as well but will definitely stretch the commute as Newton would.

Old 12-18-2019, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
The ride to Woonsocket is not that bad. It's a bit of a reverse commute as a lot of people are headed in the other direction.

It really depends upon what the OP is after here. Do they want to feel connected to Boston? Would they prefer to be closer to Providence? Do neither of those things matter? What's their housing budget? How important are schools (i.e. do they feel they have to be in the #1 ranked district or is number 40 OK?)? How important is having a short commute vs. all of these other factors? It's a complex question that only one family has an answer to.

I do agree with you though that there are a lot of options aside from the 3 mentioned those just seemed like the most obvious choices based on the information at hand. When I worked in Smithfield, RI my boss lived in Walpole which has a lot to offer. Westwood and Needham are great as well but will definitely stretch the commute as Newton would.
Yeah, OP indicated they did not want Wrentham or Foxborough, and also said they were moving back to the east coast, although my guess is Boston is not where they were originally from. But they did mention Boston, so it seems possible to me that they might want something closer to Boston, although I'm far from certain about that. Hopefully they give us a little more info about what is important to them.

Old 12-19-2019, 10:29 AM

14 posts, read 9,970 times
Thanks for the responses. I grew up in RI, with all family still in RI, in the east bay (20 minutes from PVD on way to Newport). Currently considering East Greenwich but would like to consider MA towns as well. Good quality public school system is very important, but does not have to be #1. Housing budget under $900K for four bedroom. Current jobs would have my husband in Woonsocket with me working from home (but being able to commute to Boston one day in the future if my job changes would be a positive). We are a Jewish, multi-racial family with elementary school kids who are not super into sports and are more artistically oriented so that has had us looking toward Sharon as a possible good fit but I also don't want to view that as the only choice, especially given the longer commute for my husband (also concerned slightly by the expensive, dated housing in Sharon). He currently has a 20-30 minute commute but is open to slightly longer. Thanks for the thoughtful responses!

Old 12-19-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west_to_east_transplant View Post
Thanks for the responses. I grew up in RI, with all family still in RI, in the east bay (20 minutes from PVD on way to Newport). Currently considering East Greenwich but would like to consider MA towns as well. Good quality public school system is very important, but does not have to be #1. Housing budget under $900K for four bedroom. Current jobs would have my husband in Woonsocket with me working from home (but being able to commute to Boston one day in the future if my job changes would be a positive). We are a Jewish, multi-racial family with elementary school kids who are not super into sports and are more artistically oriented so that has had us looking toward Sharon as a possible good fit but I also don't want to view that as the only choice, especially given the longer commute for my husband (also concerned slightly by the expensive, dated housing in Sharon). He currently has a 20-30 minute commute but is open to slightly longer. Thanks for the thoughtful responses!
While I'm sure many of the towns mentioned (Franklin, Sharon, Medfield, Newton, Needham, Westwood, and Norfolk) would work for you, based on everything you've said it seems very clear that Sharon or Franklin would likely be the best fits.

Let's start with why Sharon might be the best fit. First, Sharon has FOUR Jewish Temples. That's quite a lot of temples for a town of this size (sorry as a licensed real estate agent I'm not allowed to identify where populations of protected classes tend to cluster however I am able to offer you this information). Sharon by Boston area standards is also pretty diverse. Only about 85% of it's population is Caucasian according to C-D. Sharon also has a very highly regarded school system. Plus, it's about midway between Boston and Providence. So very commutable location to Boston if work shifts up that way and still close to your family in RI. According to MBTA.com it's about a 30 to 35 minute train ride to South Station. Sharon is probably a 30-50 minute car ride to Woonsocket.

Franklin is also a good choice. The town has 1 Jewish Temple. It's not terribly diverse (about 95% Caucasian according to C-D). The schools there are solid (US News has the High School ranked 90th in the state for example). It is closer to Woonsocket and your family. It's further from Boston than Sharon. However, there is a commuter rail stop in town. So still very commutable to Boston. About a 65 minute train ride according to MBTA.com In Franklin, your housing budget will afford you a newer/larger home than it would in Sharon. Franklin is probably a 20-30 minute car ride to Woonsocket.

Neither is perfect so it's going to come down to what's more important to you. The town with the shorter Woonsocket commute but longer Boston commute, the nicer house, and the shorter drive to see your family or the town with more diversity, more temples, more highly regarded schools, and the 20 minute longer Woonsocket commute but the 30 minute shorter Boston commute.

Last edited by MikePRU; 12-19-2019 at 01:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts