Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2020, 12:52 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
NY/NJ are sh*tholes for those below the upper middle class (and don't tell me everyone in MA is upper middle class). Most people don't want MA to become NY/NJ. It's not exactly a ringing endorsement.
lol I dont think that at all. But I think Greater Boston has a higher % of Millionaires and Upper middle Class than Greater NYC. Or higher proportion of higher-ups.

Old 01-07-2020, 03:55 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,417,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
With what you pay in Hopkinton, you could easily live in Weymouth, Braintree or the North Shore and be much closer to Boston, in more desirable towns, close to much better services where you can use the very efficient by American standards train system called the MBTA.
Jesus, do you want the poor dude to leave MA immediately and hate MA for the rest of his life? Have you driven out of Boston to Weymouth between 3pm and 7pm? Are you sadistic? Do you know how much it costs to park at the Braintree MBTA garage? And I've never seen so many heroin addicts nodding off on the streets in the middle of winter than in Weymouth. It's like the zombie apocalypse has arrived. Desirable is not the word I have in mind for Weymouth, and neither is much of the North Shore until you get all the way out to Marblehead. Try also driving into Boston from Marblehead.

Old 01-07-2020, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Jesus, do you want the poor dude to leave MA immediately and hate MA for the rest of his life? Have you driven out of Boston to Weymouth between 3pm and 7pm? Are you sadistic? And I've never seen so many drug-addicted people nodding off on the streets than Weymouth. It's like the zombie apocalypse has arrived. Desirable is not the word I had in mind, and neither is much of the North Shore until you get all the way out to Marblehead.
Yeah I grew up two towns over. Weymouth is not bad at all. I love the new South Weymouth area.. its gorgeous. The traffic in Greater Boston is going to be bad like it is in LA, NYC, SF and Miami .. the traffic woes dont bother me because its a metro area. What do you expect? Ive lived in metros with way worse traffic and transit so it doesnt bother me .

Old 01-07-2020, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Yeah I grew up two towns over. Weymouth is not bad at all. I love the new South Weymouth area.. its gorgeous. The traffic in Greater Boston is going to be bad like it is in LA, NYC, SF and Miami .. the traffic woes dont bother me because its a metro area. What do you expect? Ive lived in metros with way worse traffic and transit so it doesnt bother me .
This stretch from Boston to Braintree is probably the worst in the country for highway congestion relative to miles driven. LA traffic stinks, but you are actually going great distances.

In any case I get why people want to leave MA. Unless you have family here, there are better places for similar cost of living (at the very least places with better weather). I do agree that Boston is a great town if you can afford to live in Boston (minus Roxbury and parts of Dorchester), Cambridge, Brookline and Somerville with kids. You need real money to do that comfortably though (especially when you factor in private schools in lieu of BPS).

Last edited by Guineas; 01-07-2020 at 04:43 PM..

Old 01-07-2020, 04:09 PM

Quote:
This stretch from Boston to Braintree is probably the worst in the country for highway congestion relative to miles driven. LA traffic stinks, but you are actually going great distances.
Lol no its not. I can name 10 highways worse than i-93.

LA traffic is literal gridlock, as is NYC, NJ, DC, and SF. Boston's is top 10 but not the worst by any means. I once sat on 678 in NY for 3 hours and went 2 miles.

Old 01-07-2020, 04:16 PM

Quote:

LA traffic is literal gridlock, as is NYC, NJ, DC, and SF. Boston's is top 10 but not the worst by any means. I once sat on 678 in NY for 3 hours and went 2 miles.
https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...NaJ/story.html
"The worst gridlock in the US is right here in Boston" - Boston Globe, Feb 12, 2019

Old 01-07-2020, 04:23 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,918,347 times
Quote:

By some metrics Boston is the worst in the country now.

Hours Lost in Congestion

1. Boston (164)
2. Washington DC (155)
3. Chicago (138)
4. NYC (133)
5. LA (128)

Old 01-07-2020, 08:06 PM

298 posts, read 341,232 times
AAA 2019 report listed Boston as worst congestion in USA

Old 01-09-2020, 10:33 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:

I really can't think of any other divided highway in the country consistently worse than the Southeast Expressway. The traffic jam now starts before 6am. Having done it a bunch of times, I can reliably get across the GW Bridge at 6am. If I'm passing the old drive in theater Braintree Logan Express lot at 6am in a single occupancy car, I'm doomed. Even the zipper lane is iffy.

Old 01-09-2020, 10:48 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I really can't think of any other divided highway in the country consistently worse than the Southeast Expressway. The traffic jam now starts before 6am. Having done it a bunch of times, I can reliably get across the GW Bridge at 6am. If I'm passing the old drive in theater Braintree Logan Express lot at 6am in a single occupancy car, I'm doomed. Even the zipper lane is iffy.

It's pretty much 24 hrs. I mean, I'm sometimes on it at 3am and there are slowdowns and jams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts