Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2019, 09:24 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Why would your in-laws care about the schools?
Those kids will grow up to be nearly illiterate. They will vote. Many will never be able to better themselves because of lack of education. They will be severely lacking in even basic knowledge. And kids are supposed to be our future. Even people with no kids or grown kids care about education.

Old 12-22-2019, 09:57 AM

158 posts, read 144,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Lots of places *can* get 36 inch snowstorms. I wouldn't say we get them all the time.

The alternative is someplace like Florida where you can die from the damn heat and humidity. They also have lots of bugs and snakes. And because no one wants to pay any taxes there are few services for seniors.

I see what my grandmother did as preferable, by far, to what my in-laws did. My grandmother lived in the Chicago area her whole life. She eventually sold her home and moved into a condominium in a unit in the downtown area of the town where she lived. This building had an indoor parking garage with an elevator into the building. It had a beauty parlor and some shops and restaurants on the first floor of the building. And there were many restaurants, shops, a bakery, and a grocery store within a short walking distance. If it was snowy and icy, she didn't even have to leave her building if she didn't want to -- she could go to the places in her building or have food delivered.

My in-laws, however, decided to move to Florida. They live in an enormous development, where it takes 15 minutes just to get out of the housing development. Then, once you're out of the housing development, it takes another 15 minutes to get to anything -- a gas station, a grocery store, any shops or restaurants. There is nothing that delivers. There's no ice, but it is hot and humid for half the year. Oh, and because lots of seniors live in the town, they don't want to pay anything for the schools, so they all suck. No one who is able to leave stays.
There are many other places to move to besides Florida.

Old 12-22-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffee72 View Post
I'd rather live in MA than somewhere where it's too hot, too cold or too many people pooping on the sidewalk.

Don’t move to San Francisco Lol

Old 12-22-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
After living in 4 different states and 1 foreign country I lived in Massachusetts for 7 years. I yhen moved for a job to Florida and ended up spending 15 years there, As opf about 15 years ago I am back and sticll believe what I felt when I move away 16 years ago.....everywhere i wht you make of it. I hate moving away from Massachustees to Florida but I understood that everywhere has something to offer nd learned to appreciate what Florida had to offer over Massachiuseets. It wasn't everything, Every place has an aspedt of itself which is special and awesome. It seems sad to me that so many people can't recognize what it is special about their own backyard. But we're back now. Do we mis Florida? In some ways, but not in all. You have to learn to appreciate what i right in front of you, and there are things I missed about Massachusets like the history, the seasons, the public transposrtatop system, the sports culture, the museums, the universities, the seafood, ........
This ^^

I have also lived in several states and agree that there are pros and cons to all places. I lived in Boston area for several years but now reside in Colorado. I enjoyed my time in Boston. Yes there is lots of traffic, crazy drivers, high cost of living. But there are so many great things as well: 4 seasons (yes I view this as a positive), urban world class city, gorgeous architecture, easy access to so many great places like The Cape, Maine, Nantucket, Martha’s Vineyard, Providence, NH, etc. lots of beautiful quaint towns with character, great airport with many direct flights etc.

I lived in Florida before moving to Colorado and it was my least favorite place I have ever lived. Horrible heat and humidity for most of the year which I just can’t tolerate. However even though it was my least favorite, I did enjoy some aspects including the beautiful beaches, lower cost of living, friendly people etc. I say this to say that the grass isn’t always greener. I do believe sometimes you have to leave a place to truly appreciate it for what it is. At the end of the day it basically comes down to what you can and cannot tolerate in a place. FWIW I would totally have no problem with moving back to Massachusetts in the future.

Old 12-22-2019, 10:17 AM

17,666 posts, read 9,155,986 times
Quote:
Why would your in-laws care about the schools?
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Because we're all citizens? I'm retired and never had children, but certainly think my town should have good schools as I got good schools growing up elsewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
I like being around people who value learning, whether it is a family or a person with no kids (like me).
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Those kids will grow up to be nearly illiterate. They will vote. Many will never be able to better themselves because of lack of education. They will be severely lacking in even basic knowledge. And kids are supposed to be our future. Even people with no kids or grown kids care about education.
While I get all the points being made, I'm not convinced they're sincere.

Boston has lousy public schools. I doubt you'll find anyone (with no kids or grown kids) who chose not to live in Boston because of the public school system.

Old 12-22-2019, 10:46 AM

23,568 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:

Boston has lousy public schools. I doubt you'll find anyone (with no kids or grown kids) who chose not to live in Boston because of the public school system.
I see both points here, but I'm sure people choose not to live in Boston for other QOL issues related to the schools whether they are aware of the connection or not. Stuff like crime, poverty, drug use, ignorant people, etc...you can't say the local school system doesn't have an effect (or the ability to mitigate some of those problems that chase people away).

Old 12-22-2019, 10:47 AM

10,006 posts, read 15,647,185 times
Quote:

There are plenty of people who move out of the city when their kids reach school age.

Old 12-22-2019, 10:55 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
As much I loved living in Chicago, I would pick FL over it 7 days a week. The cost of living and especially the weather are the reasons I would not return to a city I love.

Old 12-22-2019, 11:05 AM

2,954 posts, read 1,410,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler1026 View Post
[/b]

Don’t move to San Francisco Lol
Or LA or Seattle or Portland. All of these cities have climates I would enjoy, but I have no interest in stepping over human waste.

MA is good because cold enough to have shelters for the homeless, so no one is tenting and pooping on your lawn.

Old 12-22-2019, 12:12 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

yes, unless they are horrible selfish people
lots of those out there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts