Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2019, 08:27 AM

5,017 posts, read 3,950,686 times

Advertisements

I'd second Acton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2019, 09:02 AM

875 posts, read 668,292 times
No need to go all the way to Acton for your needs and budget

plenty of 2 beds in Belmont - great schools and great access to Kendall

https://boston.craigslist.org/search...date=all+dates

Old 12-23-2019, 09:21 AM

6,356 posts, read 5,180,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer2 View Post

^^Via bus? Because driving / parking would be no bargain

Old 12-23-2019, 09:29 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,075,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
^^Via bus? Because driving / parking would be no bargain

Bus to redline, or walk to Alewife to redline, or commuter rail to redline. Depending on what part of town. It used to be that most of the rentals were in the Waverly area, so that would be a fast bus (73) to two stops on the redline, or the commuter rail to redline at Porter. Not bad at all.

Old 12-23-2019, 09:42 AM

307 posts, read 165,611 times
Reading, Belmont. Depends on how much space and how updated you want your home to be.

Old 12-23-2019, 10:31 AM

5,017 posts, read 3,950,686 times
Quote:

Sometimes our contingent of MA posters are comical.

"All the way to Acton"

She is ok with up to a 60 minute commute. Maybe she wants a bigger apartment at $3k, or even a house? Maybe a yard? Maybe some updates?

Believe it or not- and I know this might shock some of you- people with kids might actually be OK being a few towns removed from Cambridge for a different lifestyle. But, I know how crazy that must seem!!!!

Old 12-23-2019, 12:03 PM

2,364 posts, read 1,799,015 times
^^ Yeah. That's why I mentioned it. Acton has very good schools and is a suburb. And prices are lower there because of the bad commute.

I wouldn't buy in Acton due to the commute, but renting, sure.

Old 12-23-2019, 01:15 PM

875 posts, read 668,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post

"All the way to Acton"

She is ok with up to a 60 minute commute. Maybe she wants a bigger apartment at $3k, or even a house? Maybe a yard? Maybe some updates?
Sure, they may want all of this, but they didn't state it.....
With generic/broad requests like this, they are just going to get responses that default to our own preferences and priorities.

OP - need more details on what is important to you etc. to get more tailored responses.

Quote:
Believe it or not- and I know this might shock some of you- people with kids might actually be OK being a few towns removed from Cambridge for a different lifestyle. But, I know how crazy that must seem!!!!

Not crazy at all - different strokes etc. I posted this recently in another thread.

Quote:
We have a friend who bought in Dover around the same time and for the same $ as we did in Belmont - beautiful house on a few acres ....but he spends 2-2 1/2 hours minimum a day commuting. He thinks it is worth it and we don't.

The commute in the greater Boston area will continue to get worse and I do not see any improvement/end in sight. There are countless studies showing how much commute impacts well-being and general happiness.

Old 12-23-2019, 07:10 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,744,097 times
Quote:

Agree with this. Belmont would be a good town to check out. (And you still might even find something in Cambridge or Brookline.)

Quote:

"All the way to Acton"

It's not comical to talk about "all the way to Acton." OP said they want a 2 BR apartment. If they wanted a house, they would have said they wanted a house. Not everyone wants a house -- now or even sometimes in the future. If they had said they wanted to buy a house, I would have agreed with giving Acton a look. But when they want an apartment, there's no need to go out that far.

There are people who say they want lots of room, a yard, a new or new-ish house. And those people would prioritize those over the commute and walkability/density/amount of commercial space. But OP never indicated that. In fact, OP indicated the opposite, looking for a 2 BR apartment and stating a budget. If their budget was $1500, that would be another story. But if you can afford it, and want an apartment, you may as well minimize your commute to the extent possible. Unless a poster states otherwise, we kind of have to assume that that is what is desired. (And some people do explicitly state that they don't care as much about a commute because they want something more rural or larger, etc.)

Old 12-24-2019, 01:49 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,951,981 times
I will also chime in , in favor of Belmont. Short bus to the Red Line in Harvard Square, or a bus/walk to the commuter rail, headed for North Station. Harvard Square, as a transit destination, would be better, though..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts