Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2020, 08:30 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,137,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
That may be the case for some people, but a lot of people do it as a 2nd job. And I think many choose to do it because it allows them to work on their own terms.
A 2nd job because they are under-employed. People with "careers" do not drive for Uber/Lyft ... period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2020, 08:54 AM

17,708 posts, read 9,175,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
People are driving for Uber/Lyft precisely because they cannot find full time employment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
That may be the case for some people, but a lot of people do it as a 2nd job. And I think many choose to do it because it allows them to work on their own terms.
Quote:
A 2nd job because they are under-employed. People with "careers" do not drive for Uber/Lyft ... period.
You don't know everyone's situation. I'd bet plenty of people with "careers" do it for a couple hours at night to help pay off student loans or whatever.

Old 01-24-2020, 08:55 AM

23,542 posts, read 18,693,959 times
Quote:
My last Uber driver worked as a broker during the day, so that claim is DOA.

Old 01-24-2020, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
My last Uber driver worked as a broker during the day, so that claim is DOA.
Unless you’re seeing these peoples W2, your personal anecdotes don’t invalidate the overwhelming evidence suggesting drivers are generally low income and under employed. Valid research suggests that, after operating costs, actual pay is 8.55-11.77 per hour. View capable of making a middle class living are driving rideshare unless they’re desperate or financially illiterate.

My uncle drives for Lyft and I’m sure, given what he projects to his own family, he tells all his rides he’s a “real estate investor, landlord, and/or financial advisor”. While there’s some truth there, the reality is he’s on the cusp of bankruptcy and struggling to maintain his debt obligations. He’s not doing it by choice, but he’ll certainly suggest otherwise.

Old 01-24-2020, 09:33 AM

23,542 posts, read 18,693,959 times
Quote:
Unless you’re seeing these peoples W2, your personal anecdotes don’t invalidate the overwhelming evidence suggesting drivers are generally low income and under employed. Valid research suggests that, after operating costs, actual pay is 8.55-11.77 per hour. View capable of making a middle class living are driving rideshare unless they’re desperate or financially illiterate.

My uncle drives for Lyft and I’m sure, given what he projects to his own family, he tells all his rides he’s a “real estate investor, landlord, and/or financial advisor”. While there’s some truth there, the reality is he’s on the cusp of bankruptcy and struggling to maintain his debt obligations. He’s not doing it by choice, but he’ll certainly suggest otherwise.
Hahahaha, NO...I had a long conversation with this guy, it was one of those small word stories. I am very familiar with the company he works for, turns out he knew a couple of the guys I knew from that same office I deal with. I believe he was going through a divorce, was driving on the weekends to help with his legal bills, etc. and planned on ceasing it once he got through the storm. That's not an uncommon story, and I'm sure there's all kinds of unique situations like that with people looking for extra cash with that kind of flexibility. I'm sure there are plenty like your uncle as well. I'm just pointing out the invalidity of these blanketed claims you often make. Why do you toss out words like "period" when you truly aren't all that familiar dude?

Old 01-24-2020, 09:47 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,191 times
I think more people are drivers for Uber and Lyft than you realize. And they have added to the traffic problem in Boston. Think about it, it’s easy money. You just sit there and drive and get paid to do it.

Old 01-24-2020, 09:50 AM

192 posts, read 118,415 times
Quote:
LMAO! You are proven wrong so you move the goal posts and post an article from 2015. A lot has changed since then "dude", and yes much of it is due to immigration.

https://www.thestar.com/halifax/2019...-the-rise.html
https://www.cicnews.com/2019/12/reco...html#gs.uatky5
https://business.financialpost.com/n...uoyant-economy
you dont really understand the issue. Canada is importing people BECAUSE ITS POPULATION GROWTH IS NEGATIVE. the problem persist. population loss its still there. the GOV is artificially maintaining the populations levels with mass immigration. People are not having children and emigrating to the west while the GOV imports people to replace them.

if you have a car with a hole in the gas tank, losing gas. do you solve the problem by putting more gas?

Old 01-24-2020, 09:50 AM

17,708 posts, read 9,175,662 times
Quote:
overwhelming evidence suggesting drivers are generally low income and under employed.
Nobody has argued otherwise. But that's not what you said earlier.

"People with "careers" do not drive for Uber/Lyft ... period."

And don't think you're immune from being in a position where you're struggling to make ends meet and need to do this type of work for a few hours a night. Heck, your husband could leave you tomorrow and all of a sudden your household goes from double income to single income.

Old 01-24-2020, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Hahahaha, NO...I had a long conversation with this guy, it was one of those small word stories. I am very familiar with the company he works for, turns out he knew a couple of the guys I knew from that same office I deal with. I believe he was going through a divorce, was driving on the weekends to help with the legal bills, etc. and planned on ceasing it once he got through the storm. That's not an uncommon story, and I'm sure there's all kinds of unique situations like that with people looking for extra cash with that kind of flexibility. I'm sure there are plenty like your uncle as well. I'm just pointing out the invalidity of these blanketed claims you often make. Why do you toss out words like "period" when you truly aren't all that familiar dude?
You do realize your story literally validates the narrative I'm painting here, right? When I made the "period" statement I obviously did not mean it in absolute terms.

My original comment was addressing the notion that Uber/Lyft was creating a shortage of workers at the low end, which is an objectively false narrative as there are plenty of underemployed teens and low skill adults (the data says so). Whether you're driving Uber to back fill a 30hr retail job or to cover bills as a broker, either scenario satisfies the definition of "underemployed".

Workers with "careers" ... generally speaking ... do not pursue ride share for additional income. They'll seek OT, part time jobs in their scope of knowledge, side work (particularly in the trades), or promotions within their field. Yes, I'm sure there are ride share drivers who supplement reasonably high incomes, but these (financially illiterate or desperate) temporary workers do not represent the median situation. Most making 25/hr+ possess enough critical thinking to know ride share income is a pittance wage by the time overhead is paid.

You guys are pointing at trees here, while I'm suggesting you acknowledge the forest ... ride share drivers are, as a whole, financially desperate and it's popularity among most demographics of workers is largely fueled by underemployment/lack of opportunity.

Old 01-24-2020, 09:59 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,948,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
I think more people are drivers for Uber and Lyft than you realize. And they have added to the traffic problem in Boston. Think about it, it’s easy money. You just sit there and drive and get paid to do it.

It's not easy. Some of my good friends and my partner did it (small business owner, and there are some bad months). Even if they're on top of things and factor in depreciation, the return is dismal. Not worth it at all except on bonus weekends. It's a cash flow thing for many, just trying to make ends meet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts