Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2020, 07:26 AM

18 posts, read 36,551 times

Advertisements

Both my wife and I have a job in wakefield area. We are trying to buy a house in lexington vs winchester area. Our budget would 1-1.2 million. We are not sure which town would be better for us.

1. Winchester is very close to wakefield, fairly 6 miles and takes 20mins drive. It has a great school system and a Chinese school. However, I heard people say winchester is a rich snobby town. We are working class and not sure if we could fit in the town. Also, Ambrose, lincoln and vinson owen have very few asian kids, 90% are white kids. If i choose Winchester, I would choose east side near lynch and muraco area.

2. Lexington has more asian, fairly 20-30% asians in all the schools. I feel my kids can fit in better. However, the houses are more expensive and commute would be 12 miles with 40mins drive. Also Lexington high school is very competitive.

I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2020, 07:35 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,940,305 times
It's hard for me to imagine that you would find Lexington less "rich" and "snobby" than Winchester.

Old 01-03-2020, 07:40 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,919,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxer View Post
Both my wife and I have a job in wakefield area. We are trying to buy a house in lexington vs winchester area. Our budget would 1-1.2 million. We are not sure which town would be better for us.

1. Winchester is very close to wakefield, fairly 6 miles and takes 20mins drive. It has a great school system and a Chinese school. However, I heard people say winchester is a rich snobby town. We are working class and not sure if we could fit in the town. Also, Ambrose, lincoln and vinson owen have very few asian kids, 90% are white kids. If i choose Winchester, I would choose east side near lynch and muraco area.

2. Lexington has more asian, fairly 20-30% asians in all the schools. I feel my kids can fit in better. However, the houses are more expensive and commute would be 12 miles with 40mins drive. Also Lexington high school is very competitive.

I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!
You've identified the key differences, I think. Lexington schools are ranked a bit better, but at that level it's six of one, half a dozen of the other. I'd pick the shorter commute ten times out of ten.

In my (very limited) experience, Winchester is no snobbier than Lexington. Neither are 'working class'. Both are filled with professionals. To be fair, if you can afford a $1.2 million house, you aren't working class anymore, either. If remaining around working class people is important to you, you would probably need to look in a different town entirely.

Old 01-03-2020, 07:46 AM

3,686 posts, read 7,423,982 times
Winchester would be the better pick of those two. If you don't like what your money will buy there, however, you may want to look at Lynnfield. The town still has a very small Indian and Asian population but it is growing as families are priced out of places like Lexington, Winchester and Bedford.

Boston magazine ranked Winchester High School at #12 and Lynnfield High School at #13 in their 2019 survey.

Old 01-03-2020, 07:59 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,822,896 times
I'd see not having a lot of other Asian kids in the school as positive. Your kids - if they are good students - will stand out as opposed to being just another ordinary Asian kid.

Sometimes it simply comes down to finding a house you like with the $ you are willing to spend. I'll take a short commute if all things are equal. Anyone who can afford buying into either town shouldn't need to worry about being looked down upon.

Old 01-03-2020, 11:29 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,940,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxer View Post
Thanks for the information. I though lexington historically were working class. Things might have changed for the past 20 years.

No, even 30 years ago Lexington was firmly upper middle class, at worst.

Unless you have a very different definition of "working class", due to culture.

Old 01-03-2020, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
It's hard for me to imagine that you would find Lexington less "rich" and "snobby" than Winchester.
Thank you for the information. I thought lexington historically were working class. Things might have changed.

Old 01-03-2020, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
You've identified the key differences, I think. Lexington schools are ranked a bit better, but at that level it's six of one, half a dozen of the other. I'd pick the shorter commute ten times out of ten.

In my (very limited) experience, Winchester is no snobbier than Lexington. Neither are 'working class'. Both are filled with professionals. To be fair, if you can afford a $1.2 million house, you aren't working class anymore, either. If remaining around working class people is important to you, you would probably need to look in a different town entirely.
Thank you for the suggestions. My wife and I are from small towns in China. We always identify ourselves are working class.

Old 01-03-2020, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
Winchester would be the better pick of those two. If you don't like what your money will buy there, however, you may want to look at Lynnfield. The town still has a very small Indian and Asian population but it is growing as families are priced out of places like Lexington, Winchester and Bedford.

Boston magazine ranked Winchester High School at #12 and Lynnfield High School at #13 in their 2019 survey.
Thanks. We did research about lynnfield as well. Lynnfield is less diversified than winchester, and if my son is white, I would choose lynnfield without any doubt.

Old 01-03-2020, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
I'd see not having a lot of other Asian kids in the school as positive. Your kids - if they are good students - will stand out as opposed to being just another ordinary Asian kid.

Sometimes it simply comes down to finding a house you like with the $ you are willing to spend. I'll take a short commute if all things are equal. Anyone who can afford buying into either town shouldn't need to worry about being looked down upon.
Thank you for the suggestion. As chinese immigrants, I hope my son not feeling different in school. In lexington, he would be normal ordinary chinese kid. While in Winchester, I am not sure whether he will loose his chinese heritage and has identity crisis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts