Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2020, 02:44 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times

Advertisements

I guess I really should put this up in the thread

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2020, 02:54 PM

10,007 posts, read 15,647,185 times
I was waiting for that!

Old 01-24-2020, 05:16 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,216,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post

Is Leafy, Liberal, and Loaded just Middlesex County? It kind of looks like it overlaps it. Although there are plenty parts of Middlesex loaded doesn’t really apply to unless you’re referring to the folks being drunk.

Old 01-24-2020, 06:13 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,528,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
It was kinda a big thing back in the day. Back then phone numbers really did mean a location. Then there were splits and then the big push to make phone numbers permanent on cell phones. Changing phone numbers back in the day was a pain. New business cards, new truck lettering and trying to let people know before social media and the internet.

https://www.southcoasttoday.com/arti...news/307279963
Remember when 617 and 413 were the only phone area codes? A dilapidated building down the block from me in Orange has a faded phone number on it that’s a monument to when 617 stretched from P-Town to the Quabbin. i.e. Gaycationland to the far, far corners of There be Dragons Here.

Old 05-08-2020, 10:44 PM

795 posts, read 481,730 times
Quote:

Lol, I love the map!!

Old 05-09-2020, 07:04 AM

12,368 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Quote:

Love the map! :-)

Old 05-09-2020, 07:10 AM

Where Metropolitan Boston stops is a matter of debate. To me it's in large part a matter of the physical environment and how it feels. For example on the North Shore, once I get past Beverly, it's less dense, there's more greenspace, more wildlife, you start seeing some farms, the water is getting cleaner, it's a little more laid back, and it just *feels* different to me than the region below that Beverly line, which feels very city-like to me.

Old 05-09-2020, 07:36 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Where Metropolitan Boston stops is a matter of debate. To me it's in large part a matter of the physical environment and how it feels. For example on the North Shore, once I get past Beverly, it's less dense, there's more greenspace, more wildlife, you start seeing some farms, the water is getting cleaner, it's a little more laid back, and it just *feels* different to me than the region below that Beverly line, which feels very city-like to me.
I know what you mean. Beverly is the first city you come to going south toward Boston. I've been away for a few years now so I can't remember the number of that busy traffic ridden east-west road that had the North Shore Mall on it but that was sort of a dividing line too. Danvers was around there somewhere, and Peabody. That's pretty urban around there but once you headed north, you got into "normal" territory--towns with houses and trees and some open space. It became more residential and less business.

Old 05-10-2020, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I know what you mean. Beverly is the first city you come to going south toward Boston. I've been away for a few years now so I can't remember the number of that busy traffic ridden east-west road that had the North Shore Mall on it but that was sort of a dividing line too. Danvers was around there somewhere, and Peabody. That's pretty urban around there but once you headed north, you got into "normal" territory--towns with houses and trees and some open space. It became more residential and less business.
Yep, much of Peabody and Danvers is still pretty dense, even if it's dense with strip shopping, big box stores and malls.

Hamilton, Wenham, Manchester, Gloucester, Rockport, Topsfield, Georgetown, Ipswich, Essex, Rowley, Newbury, Newburyport, West Newbury, Amesbury, Merrimac, Salisbury - that's the part that I like. Might as well be in a different state.

I am not called "OutdoorLover" for nothing, and though many of the towns to the south have some pretty buildings, what I call "outdoors" is just islands of green in a sea of brick, asphalt and concrete to the south. Whereas in the above towns, the situation is reversed, and you've got islands of hardscaping in a sea of trees, farms, salt marshes and beaches. That is my kind of place.

Old 05-10-2020, 01:12 PM

2,954 posts, read 1,410,761 times
Maybe my next move will be to the "Hippie Farmers" area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts