Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2020, 09:50 AM

1 posts, read 922 times

Advertisements

We are looking at some houses in Sudbury that have some wetlands/vernal pools near the property or in the backyard. We are wondering if this is going to be a nightmare in the summer with mosquitoes, especially with EEE still being a threat. Does anyone have personal experience living near these things who could give me their honest opinion? We have a 20 month old so are extra cautious. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2020, 11:07 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,810,862 times
Lived in Sudbury for years near Hop Brook. It can get pretty bad if you have wetlands abutting your property. Where I lived specifically it was fine but it all depends on how you tolerate them.

Old 01-28-2020, 11:54 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,702,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdunlop16 View Post
We are looking at some houses in Sudbury that have some wetlands/vernal pools near the property or in the backyard. We are wondering if this is going to be a nightmare in the summer with mosquitoes, especially with EEE still being a threat. Does anyone have personal experience living near these things who could give me their honest opinion? We have a 20 month old so are extra cautious. Thank you
I basically live in the woods (not Sudbury) and there are plenty of mosquitos and other flying insects you won't want to deal with. I have little kids and we just don't spend much time outside from dusk to dawn in the summer. It's not worth the risk and I find mosquitos to be annoying even if EEE wasn't an issue. During the day I don't notice them as much but obviously each local area is different.

Old 01-28-2020, 12:03 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,146,082 times
Anywhere in the metrowest, including Sudbury, will have mosquitoes. Inland MA is too wooded and too wet to not have them. Even if you're not near a body of water, standing water in gutters, planters, birdbaths, etc. can easily support large populations. General rule is to be inside before dusk and make sure any open windows have adequate screening.

My house is surrounded by Wachusett watershed and other natural bodies of water ... the mosquitoes are bad ... but I manage to enjoy hikes with the dog/baby by timing it appropriately (e.g., mid-day, afternoon) and using adequate repellents (e.g., DEET, picaridin) if outside from dusk through late evening or dawn, though I'll obviously want the baby inside during these peak hours as I'm not going to douse him in DEET.

Old 01-28-2020, 02:35 PM

9,889 posts, read 7,226,954 times
Also consider having a service come in and spray for mosquitoes regularly. We have it done and it's made a huge difference.

Old 01-30-2020, 10:16 AM

2,710 posts, read 1,739,625 times
Has anyone installed a batbox? Do they work?

Old 01-31-2020, 11:48 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,417,267 times
What about those mosquito traps that use warm air and a chemical attractant?

Look up "Mosquito Magnet", but sit down before you do it, because the price will knock you over. Even in Sudbury they might think it's kind of expensive.

Old 02-01-2020, 05:17 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,146,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amontillado View Post

Look up "Mosquito Magnet", but sit down before you do it, because the price will knock you over. Even in Sudbury they might think it's kind of expensive.
Those do work quite well as the catalyzed propane emits a continuous stream of carbon dioxide emulating a large (blood filled) animal. Once the mosquitos are drawn close, they’re sucked into the system.

Old 02-01-2020, 08:33 AM

2,354 posts, read 1,786,197 times
Had to look it up, and the girl from Sudbury who got EEE last year apparently survived.

Old 02-01-2020, 11:57 AM

2,710 posts, read 1,739,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amontillado View Post

My friend got a mosquito magnet for free and it took him an entire season to figure out how to use it. But once he got the hang of it he was able to enjoy the backyard in summer. Before that, you couldn't be outside for more than 10 seconds before getting bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts