Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2020, 05:38 AM

1 posts, read 788 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking of relocating from Miami to the South Coast area for work. We’d probably live in Marion or Mattapoisett because of school districts (we have 3 kids). My husband grew up just outside Boston and I grew up in miami so we’re both used to living near a city and enjoy having the culture, nightlife, restaurants, sports, etc nearby. I wonder if we spoke feel like we were living too far away from Boston and of living in Marion (or nearby) would feel like we were very remote.
I’m wondering what people practical experience or opinions are?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2020, 05:42 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Probably if you are depending on Boston for culture. Except for the occasional Saturday, you're probably more likely to hit New Bedford or Providence. Providence esp has a good amount of culture at about half the distance. But if you want bigger city culture, then yeah, you're pretty darn far out.

Old 01-28-2020, 08:20 AM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Probably if you are depending on Boston for culture. Except for the occasional Saturday, you're probably more likely to hit New Bedford or Providence. Providence esp has a good amount of culture at about half the distance. But if you want bigger city culture, then yeah, you're pretty darn far out.
Agree with this. I grew up and lived a good portion of my adult life on the South Coast as well as in larger cities like Boston, Providence, and DC.

From a practical standpoint, you'll have access to Boston, Providence, The Cape, Plymouth, Newport, etc. You'll have little trouble getting to a Patriots, Red Sox, or Celtics/Bruins game on a weekend. You might find that the Providence Bruins or Providence College Basketball are worth the savings in terms of both time and money for quick sports fixes too. You'll likely end up in New Bedford for bars and restaurants more often than not, but you can mix it up with Plymouth, Newport, and the litany of waterfront/side spots along the South Coast during the warmer months. It's not bad as there's a decent amount close by. But you certainly won't have the feeling of living in a larger metro. You won't feel like you live in part of the Boston area, or even the Providence area (you've got to go west of Fall River to really be part of that). The South Coast is it's own unique little ecosystem. And while you have relatively good access to other great places, you will still be living in a relatively small coastal region on the periphery of, but not part of two larger metro areas.

My guess is that the hardest part won't be access to entertainment and things to do; it'll be moving into a region that's old, established, and far less transient than what you're used to (especially in Miami). A complaint I've heard from a number of people who have moved to the South Coast is that it's hard not to feel like an outsider there. If you do make the move, see if you can't connect with other people at your job who have moved from outside of the region and pick their brains.

Old 01-28-2020, 09:33 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,401,647 times
We looked at real estate down there for a permanent move at one point. My wife asked what I thought and I told her I was having a panic attack. It is a nice area, but remote if you are accustom to urban amenities.

Last edited by porterhouse; 01-28-2020 at 09:50 AM..

Old 01-28-2020, 09:43 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Mattapoisett and Marion are somewhat more transient than elsewhere on the South Coast. They’re only 5,000 to 6,000 people. With the best elementary schools, they’re the professional bedroom towns plus all the summer homes owned by out-of-towners.

Midweek, Boston access from the south is awful. The morning rush hour starts at 5:30am and is usually bad until 9:30am. The afternoon rush starts before 3:00 and is heavy until 7:30pm. For Logan airport, I fly mid-day midweek whenever possible and try to land in Boston after 6:30pm. When I lived north of Boston in Portsmouth NH, I had a midweek symphony subscription. From the South Coast with similar driving distance, it’s not practical. The Southeast Expressway isn’t deterministic. In theory, commuter rail to New Bedford is supposed to go in service in 4 years but it’s not running yet.

It’s an economically depressed area. No such thing as a Whole Foods or a Trader Joe’s. The affluent summer home areas like Mattapoisett, Marion, South Dartmouth, and Westport Point are pretty dead during the winter. If you’re not used to it, it might be challenging to adjust to the gritty cities in New Bedford and Fall River.

I’m from the Padanaram Harbor part of South Dartmouth and have a summer house there now. It was an idyllic place to grow up and I think Marion and Mattapoisett would be similar. I’ve always skied so the lack of a pulse in the winter was never an issue. Downtown New Bedford has gentrified so you have some local options. Providence access is pretty good. The last 3 miles of I-195 in RI has delays but usually 5 to 10 minutes.

Old 01-28-2020, 11:16 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,693,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
You'll have little trouble getting to a Patriots, Red Sox, or Celtics/Bruins game on a weekend.
Yeah...traffic on 93 on the weekend is AWFUL. It's smooth sailing up 24 until you hit the split, but after that it can take quite some time to get into the city, especially from midday on.

Old 01-28-2020, 11:42 AM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
Yeah...traffic on 93 on the weekend is AWFUL. It's smooth sailing up 24 until you hit the split, but after that it can take quite some time to get into the city, especially from midday on.
I guess it depends on what you personally consider awful. I used to do the trip from the South Coast to rush hour and that was awful. In fact, it was a big part of the reason I moved closer to Boston. My family and many of my friends are still down there. I do the South Coast - Boston drive on weekends regularly and I wouldn't call it awful. There can be some traffic on the Expressway in/around downtown on Saturdays, but it doesn't add a ton of time (10-15 minutes), but nothing close to peak weekday traffic. Sundays are usually fine. OP - if it's a concern of yours, check google maps traffic on a Sat. or Sun. and see for yourself. Also keep in mind that many people coming into town for sports, concerts, etc. park at Quincy Adams or Riverside and take the T into town which negates any traffic you may or may not hit.

Also, depending on the OP's job location and commuting preferences, some of the South of Boston 'burbs may be options for a compromise. For example, if the OP is working in Fall River, places like Sharon, Easton, Mansfield, etc. would be a 35-45 minute reverse commute. Or if the OP is working in Wareham, Duxbury, Pembroke, or Marshfield would be about a 40-45 minute reverse commute.

Old 01-28-2020, 11:50 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,693,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I guess it depends on what you personally consider awful. I used to do the trip from the South Coast to rush hour and that was awful. In fact, it was a big part of the reason I moved closer to Boston. My family and many of my friends are still down there. I do the South Coast - Boston drive on weekends regularly and I wouldn't call it awful. There can be some traffic on the Expressway in/around downtown on Saturdays, but it doesn't add a ton of time (10-15 minutes), but nothing close to peak weekday traffic. Sundays are usually fine. OP - if it's a concern of yours, check google maps traffic on a Sat. or Sun. and see for yourself. Also keep in mind that many people coming into town for sports, concerts, etc. park at Quincy Adams or Riverside and take the T into town which negates any traffic you may or may not hit.

Also, depending on the OP's job location and commuting preferences, some of the South of Boston 'burbs may be options for a compromise. For example, if the OP is working in Fall River, places like Sharon, Easton, Mansfield, etc. would be a 35-45 minute reverse commute. Or if the OP is working in Wareham, Duxbury, Pembroke, or Marshfield would be about a 40-45 minute reverse commute.
Of course, it's not comparable to rush hour. But it used to be you were almost guaranteed to have a smooth ride all the way to downtown on the weekend. Today, not so much.

Old 01-28-2020, 05:08 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
Of course, it's not comparable to rush hour. But it used to be you were almost guaranteed to have a smooth ride all the way to downtown on the weekend. Today, not so much.
I never have much in the way of traffic issues on the Southeast Expressway on weekends. We come in for Dim Sum occasionally. Our Saturday Logan drives are usually too early in the morning to count. I do a midweek West Portugal to Killington drive occasionally. It’s usually fine from 10:00 to 2:00. That’s where Waze directs me now that NH 93 is mostly done. Northbound, you just have to get on it before they deploy the afternoon zipper lane.

Old 01-28-2020, 05:36 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Shes from Miami... I think she can deal with the traffic here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts