Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2020, 12:26 PM

20 posts, read 11,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I'd consider Littleton. Certainly full choices within the budget, just next to 495/2, a very pleasant and coherent neighborhood with good schools, conservation land, walking areas, a fine supermarket, quick access to other shopping a few miles away in Westford. I lived there for 27 years (no family) and heartily recommend it to OP.
I will say that a very dear friend who lives in Pepperell felt we'd fit well and like Littleton. It may be worth checking out but I also know it would be somewhat smarter for us to stay in the lower part of the state due to potential visits to NY. I am aiming to keep my mostly remote job position and negotiate an NYC visit 1-2 times per month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2020, 12:30 PM

Someone on here posted that they are raising 2 children in the discussed area - maybe it was Shrewsbury? I cannot find it. Can anyone speak to the summer camp scene in such a community? Since we'll likely arrive end of June - I don't know what the camp landscape looks like. What we're used to: our daughter is picked up on a bus every day and drives about 45 minutes out to west NJ. The day camp runs 9-4 and includes things like twice swimming, archery, lake visits, all sorts of other traditional camp activities. Does this exist and is there a good resource to find it? Where we live now there's Facebook groups with so much information you can't help but be overwhelmed.

Old 02-10-2020, 12:44 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,914,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJSR10 View Post
Someone on here posted that they are raising 2 children in the discussed area - maybe it was Shrewsbury? I cannot find it. Can anyone speak to the summer camp scene in such a community? Since we'll likely arrive end of June - I don't know what the camp landscape looks like. What we're used to: our daughter is picked up on a bus every day and drives about 45 minutes out to west NJ. The day camp runs 9-4 and includes things like twice swimming, archery, lake visits, all sorts of other traditional camp activities. Does this exist and is there a good resource to find it? Where we live now there's Facebook groups with so much information you can't help but be overwhelmed.
Not an extensive list, but here are some for Boston area families:

https://www.bostonmamas.com/summer-c...2020#adventure

Some notables:

https://www.linxcamps.com/about
https://www.marcuslewisdaycamp.com/about-us/
Camp Woodhaven - A day camp for boys and girls ages 5 to 13 near Worcester, Massachusetts, Summer Camp.
https://grotonwood.org/
https://www.summerfenn.org/

I believe all of these have a bus system that reaches far and wide. There are probabaly a lot more in Central MA that I am missing too.

Old 02-10-2020, 01:02 PM

4,621 posts, read 4,891,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Shrewsbury's tax rate is a dollar cheaper per thou ($12.XX vs $13.XX; both are cheap thanks to heavy retail/commercial), so suggesting the tax burden is 30% less is objectively false. Additionally, one must factor Natick's higher per sqft valuation and private utilities (Shrewsbury has very affordable utilities).
There was a thread here or on reddit comparing utilities. Shrewsbury was about 10-20% cheaper than NGrid towns. Shrewsbury also has municipal internet.

OP, you might want to check Grafton, Auburn, or Millbury too. Not as good schools as Shrewsbury (and in descending order, but all much better than Worcester etc). Auburn and Millbury have pike exits in town - technically Millbury has two, but exit 11 is right at the Grafton/Millbury/Worcester border. Grafton has a MTBA stop in town (North end of Grafton, next to Tufts). Speaking of Tufts, their vet school is there.

Old 02-10-2020, 01:10 PM

4,621 posts, read 4,891,252 times
Quote:
I will say that a very dear friend who lives in Pepperell felt we'd fit well and like Littleton. It may be worth checking out but I also know it would be somewhat smarter for us to stay in the lower part of the state due to potential visits to NY. I am aiming to keep my mostly remote job position and negotiate an NYC visit 1-2 times per month.
Quote:
Littleton would add at least 30 minutes to a commute to Springfield than anything along the pike. I really like the town though. Harvard is nicer IMHO and just in your budget usually.

YMCA, JCC, YWCA all have day camps.
Girl Scouts too (GS Central & Western Mass), and Girls Inc.
Even the city of Worcester does day camps at city parks, but without transportation.

Most orgs have a camp on one of the lakes in and around Spencer MA, halfway between the Auburn/395 and the Sturbridge/84 pike exits. ~30 minutes west of Shrewsbury.

Last summer my daughter did spend a week out at Tanglewood, (BSO summer location, almost in NY)

Old 02-10-2020, 01:32 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,997,139 times
Quote:
I have to tell you that would be a DREAM. The $27K we pay in taxes does not even get us garbage pickup! The schools in our district are considered mediocre from a ratings perspective and immediately neighboring towns so while it's sustainable it seems silly and if we have this opportunity to relocate, we're all in.
Yeah I really dont understand NJ property taxes...400k homes pay over 10k in property taxes. How does one afford that? Thats a huge bill that gets slapped on in March.

But yeah Shrewsbury is really nice and what I do know about the -borough's ... is that they are very nice, on the pike and close to the amenities of Worcester.

Old 02-10-2020, 01:58 PM

2,279 posts, read 1,341,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Aside from the mall, route 9 between Framingham and Brookline is littered with restaurants, grocery stores, and amenities. I know that there is a lot along route 9 west, as well. I made mention of the Lifetime gym, which is really child care, a gym, and a summertime pool/bar membership in one. There is one on the Natick/Framingham border, and another in Newton. For a family with young kids, who are sports enthusiasts, this is a widely used local hang out.

Though I agree Worcester is a great option for dining on a weekend, so is Newton. And Brookline. And Wellesley. Waltham is another. And the ability to hop on the train and be in Boston in 30 minutes make it infinitely better for a family looking to get out and explore.

You can't dismiss Natick's position to Boston, to 95, and all of the options/conveniences in Eastern MA that equates to.
I will say this. I grew up in cities most of my life and lived in Boston urban area for a big chunk of my life. I moved to central Mass a few years back thinking I was going to be in Boston all the time.
In reality I pretty much only go to Boston to see friends or to take a flight because I really don't need to, the Worcester area fulfills 99% of my needs.
I agree is not the same as being in Boston but at the same in time Natick is also not really Boston.

Old 02-10-2020, 02:26 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,997,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
I will say this. I grew up in cities most of my life and lived in Boston urban area for a big chunk of my life. I moved to central Mass a few years back thinking I was going to be in Boston all the time.
In reality I pretty much only go to Boston to see friends or to take a flight because I really don't need to, the Worcester area fulfills 99% of my needs.
I agree is not the same as being in Boston but at the same in time Natick is also not really Boston.
This is really good, and important, insight since Worcester talk is growing more and more.

1. Do you feel Worcester sustains your life at a good satisfaction level?
2. Have you seen big improvements in the past year or two in Worcester with all the new work?

Old 02-10-2020, 02:50 PM

2,279 posts, read 1,341,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
This is really good, and important, insight since Worcester talk is growing more and more.

1. Do you feel Worcester sustains your life at a good satisfaction level?
2. Have you seen big improvements in the past year or two in Worcester with all the new work?
1. Yeah, absolutely. I like restaurants and the food scene is great, there is plenty of entertainment and the city is not as dilapidated as some people (that probably never go to Worcester) think. I have seriously met people that live in towns surrounding Worcester that never go to Worcester because they think it's too dangerous. I go to Worcester all the time and I felt uncomfortable once 4-5 years ago. Crazy how old stereotypes really stick around. (Just to be clear, I know there are bad areas but typically there is no reason to go there..it's the same for any city).
As I mentioned earlier, I just don't really need to go to Boston to find something to do.
I think it's also important to consider that Worcester doesn't exists in a bubble. On a weekend it's really easy to get to Natick or Providence, or even Boston frankly.

2. I think the city has been improving for much longer than 1-2 years. Think are going pretty well. It's not a boom town by any means but things are moving.

Old 02-10-2020, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post

I get this. I lived in NYC and lived outside of Boston in my 20s and just outside of NYC now. The amount I actually go is slim compared to when I HAVE to go. I find the appeal of Boston much greater and I guess it feels like "home" but NYC is a pain and where we live in NJ - we have many cool things and restaurants to keep us happy. It's always nice to have an option to visit the city but 9/10 I'm happier having dinner nearby and a drink by my fire. It sounds like Worcester would cover us and given that it's a college town, babysitters must be easier to find in such an area? We live where Seton Hall is now and that's always a huge help to 2 parent working families and those who like to get out here and there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts