Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2020, 07:26 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times

Advertisements

I think investing in a home especially in the Boston area is better than investing in the stock market. No matter what happens people are always going to want to live in the Boston area.

Last edited by Bridge781; 03-19-2020 at 07:27 PM.. Reason: H
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2020, 07:30 PM

1,540 posts, read 1,125,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Context is everything. If you bought the S&P in '09/'10, you were already sitting a 3x returns heading toward an election year with a juiced market driven by years of cheap debt, buyback, tax cuts, and lowered rates ... with manufacturing numbers already slowing.

Everyone acts as though they're Dalio in hindsight, but really, anyone with firing neurons knew there was a bubble. I moved my IRA to cash and bonds (not the safest haven, I know) for 2020 because I didn't want to be holding 'bags' if and when the music stopped. It's nearly impossible to time it, but it is easy to spot irrational exuberance and I wanted out.

What will be interesting to see is how much "smart" money exited the markets before losing 30%. The MA market likely lost some cash buyers, though I'm not sure those who retained their capital are eager to buy RE at this moment. I certainly wouldn't as sentiment will surely be gutted by this, even for those not emotionally attached to equity markets.
In 08/09 I had just started working and had very little to invest while now making multiples of what I did at that time.

Will have to see how the next 10 years play out.

Old 03-19-2020, 08:01 PM

880 posts, read 819,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
I think investing in a home especially in the Boston area is better than investing in the stock market. No matter what happens people are always going to want to live in the Boston area.
I can certainly imagine medical tech getting outsized attention after all this is over. This should benefit Boston area the most.

For prediction look at 2008, 2nd tier towns were down quite a bit, 30%. Gold plated school districts were down 15% but inventory was not high... this is probably the best outcome we can wish for.

Old 03-19-2020, 08:10 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
Even if there is a recession people from all over the world still want to come here. It’s a blessing and a curse.

Old 03-20-2020, 05:59 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
Just so long as you realize that "investing in a home" serves a different function than investing in equities or even real estate. Most of the value you get from owning a home is being able to live there.

Old 03-20-2020, 07:20 AM

875 posts, read 663,995 times
For what its worth, we bought in Boston (Back Bay) at the height of the financial crisis in '08/09 when everything was melting all around us.

Our families thought we were certifiably insane and I'm not going to lie I had a few sleepless moments. We still have this condo as a rental and it has been a tremendous investment both in capital appreciation and rental returns.

I still believe if you are buying in the right location (especially in uncertain times), buy for the right reasons (as your home, long term hedge against inflation, generational investment), do not overextend yourself, have a long term horizon, then I would still buy when the time is right for your particular situation/finances.

This too will pass - there will be a vaccine, there will be increased herd immunity. We are facing the eye of the storm at the minute.

Old 03-20-2020, 07:33 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Just so long as you realize that "investing in a home" serves a different function than investing in equities or even real estate. Most of the value you get from owning a home is being able to live there.
Well put! Buying a house is not just an investment it's a home as well. You have use and enjoyment of the property while you own it. It's not like a share of stock that just sits in an account somewhere and does nothing for you while you own it except hopefully it appreciates and/or pays a dividend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer2 View Post
For what its worth, we bought in Boston (Back Bay) at the height of the financial crisis in '08/09 when everything was melting all around us.

Our families thought we were certifiably insane and I'm not going to lie I had a few sleepless moments. We still have this condo as a rental and it has been a tremendous investment both in capital appreciation and rental returns.

I still believe if you are buying in the right location (especially in uncertain times), buy for the right reasons (as your home, long term hedge against inflation, generational investment), do not overextend yourself, have a long term horizon, then I would still buy when the time is right for your particular situation/finances.

This too will pass - there will be a vaccine, there will be increased herd immunity. We are facing the eye of the storm at the minute.
Solid advice IMO. If you want to buy a home and you have the right expectations going into it and the financial where with all to afford it, then buy a home. The market goes up, the market goes down it's a never ending roller coaster. At the end of the day, most people don't really "cash out" of the RE market until they're in their later years and by then hopefully you're sitting on a very valuable asset.

Old 03-20-2020, 08:01 AM

880 posts, read 819,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer2 View Post
When there is blood on the streets, usually its you that is bleeding. Those fortunate to have cash on hand and stable jobs were able to purchase..

I dont think we are at these panic levels yet. Would have to see empty open houses in prime locations and forclosures in 3rd tier locations before panic sets in

Old 03-20-2020, 10:00 AM

2,352 posts, read 1,780,522 times
I could see employers moving work out of Massachusetts and into states that won't shut down. That obviously would affect prices.

Old 03-20-2020, 12:28 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
I could see employers moving work out of Massachusetts and into states that won't shut down. That obviously would affect prices.
Or different regions of the state. It never made sense to try to put everything in Boston.

Worcester and other gateway cities can easily take in more people and businesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts