Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2020, 12:49 PM

8,525 posts, read 13,910,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
I have to agree on the refrigerator paneling. The last thing I want to do is make our Sub-Zero look like a gigantic cabinet. I kind of like the glass door option they have, though the Mrs doesn't like displaying food like that.

Hiding the dishwasher doesn't seem quite as bad to me, and I think I may go that route when it comes time to replace our current ones. We have the double drawer type of dishwasher though, and it may look worse if it were a single large pull-down panel rather than two panels that look like regular drawers.
I like the look of the glass door on the Sub Zero. However, I completely agree with your wife that I wouldn't want people coming into the kitchen and seeing the inside of the fridge. Personally, I don't love Sub Zeros in general. They've had a lot of quality issues in recent history. I prefer the Thermador refrigerators if you're buying a built in type fridge. Miele also makes some nice ones.

I don't really like the dishwasher with a panel on it either. It probably looks better with the drawer style dishwasher (don't see too many of those anymore). Sometimes, the panel doesn't seem to line up with the rest of the cabinetry too well with a single door dishwasher. Still, I like to break up the row of lower cabinets with a little stainless steel.

When I was renovating my house last year, I almost bought some drawer style refrigerators for my bar. The appliance salesman talked me out of it because he said they blend in so well with the rest of the cabinets that people will walk right by them thinking you said to go to the kitchen to grab a drink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Hasn't that been a trend for a while? It seems like every house I looked at had a kitchen just like that when we were looking back in 2015.
Definitely, until Trump put all those tariffs on Chinese imports quartz (a lot of which is made in China - yes quartz is man made) was actually cheaper than granite. So, even the low end builders had switched to using quartz. Now both types of stone are about the same cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
One thing I would like to mention for real estate agents here, is garage pics. Maybe i'm in the minority here, but a good garage space is an important item for me for our next home as I like to restore vehicles. We've been scouting around the last few months and some of these houses have excellent garages (from what I can see from the outside) but there are never any pics of the inside of this space. It always requires an in-person visit. If you are putting up 50-60 photos, why not one pic of the inside of the garage?
I don't think that's going to happen. Most people have all kinds of stuff in their garage and it's always the last room they get to when I ask them to do a clean out. My listings do have floorplans so people can see the layout and the dimensions of the garage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2020, 12:50 PM

9,785 posts, read 7,051,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I see so many kitchen islands with a mitered quartz countertop it's silly. It looks nice. Personally, I love the look of marble but it's really too porous of a material to use in a kitchen unless you want pay to have it refinished every few years. Quartz can give you the look of marble but is far more durable. Not a big fan of the plain white quartz though if that's what you're referring to.
I presume you mean a waterfall edge?

Quote:
What's wrong with stainless steel appliances? I love the professional looking ones like Thermador, Wolf, Miele, etc. It's a great look IMO. When you get into a more mid range kitchen with say GE appliances, I don't think the stainless steel adds as much and those brands have come out with some new and interesting finish options. None of them seem to stick though.

The appliance finish I absolutely hate is when people put a panel on the appliance so that it matches the cabinetry. I like the contrast and different texture of the steel against the cabinet finish. If I'm paying $10K+ for a fridge the last thing I want it to do is blend in.

Speaking of refrigerators . . . if you check out Kevin O'Connor's IG page he put up a video of a really cool refrigerator room maybe last week.
I'm not a fan of panel either put to each their own.

The cold room is a great idea. My wife asked why? I replied "Because they can."

Old 10-28-2020, 01:20 PM

2,416 posts, read 1,289,986 times
Quote:
I like the look of the glass door on the Sub Zero. However, I completely agree with your wife that I wouldn't want people coming into the kitchen and seeing the inside of the fridge. Personally, I don't love Sub Zeros in general. They've had a lot of quality issues in recent history. I prefer the Thermador refrigerators if you're buying a built in type fridge. Miele also makes some nice ones.

I don't really like the dishwasher with a panel on it either. It probably looks better with the drawer style dishwasher (don't see too many of those anymore). Sometimes, the panel doesn't seem to line up with the rest of the cabinetry too well with a single door dishwasher. Still, I like to break up the row of lower cabinets with a little stainless steel.

When I was renovating my house last year, I almost bought some drawer style refrigerators for my bar. The appliance salesman talked me out of it because he said they blend in so well with the rest of the cabinets that people will walk right by them thinking you said to go to the kitchen to grab a drink.
Our SZ has been rock-solid and it's over a decade old. We know one couple who has had their same SZ for over 20 years now and it still works great. Surprised to hear about quality issues on them. Maybe the new ones have a problem and we should hold on to our older ones as long as we can?

I'm a total convert to the drawer dishwashers; won't go back to a single-door model if I can help it. Unless you dirty so many dishes that you can fill a full-size daily, or you wash really large things (and I hope nobody is putting pots and pans in a dishwasher), the drawers are super convenient. We can fill one while the other washes a load. We can run smaller loads efficiently. I'm surprised more people don't like them.

Old 10-28-2020, 01:32 PM

9,920 posts, read 15,488,689 times
Quote:

Definitely, until Trump put all those tariffs on Chinese imports quartz (a lot of which is made in China - yes quartz is man made) was actually cheaper than granite. So, even the low end builders had switched to using quartz. Now both types of stone are about the same cost.

There are plenty of American companies that manufacture quartz. The Chinese product is inferior and allows for a larger amount of random debris to be mixed in with the stone.

Old 10-28-2020, 01:36 PM

15,693 posts, read 20,211,420 times
Quote:
I don't think that's going to happen. Most people have all kinds of stuff in their garage and it's always the last room they get to when I ask them to do a clean out. My listings do have floorplans so people can see the layout and the dimensions of the garage.
Makes sense.

Like I said, I am definitely in the minority here as i'm sure many buyers only concern with a garage is if one is present so they can move their current junk from their current garage to that one.

Just frustrating when, as a perspective buyer, I can't visualize an area that I personally have an interest in without going to an open house or make an appt to see it in person.

But then again, I have found when a garage space is a selling point, it's clearly shown...like this one below on a local home for sale. This is what I am looking for
Attached Thumbnails
2020 Real Estate Observations-capture.jpg  

Old 10-28-2020, 02:10 PM

1,505 posts, read 1,091,559 times
Almost every house we looked at during our search last year had a disappointing garage. I wanted a space for a weightlifting platform with squat rack with a ceiling height greater than 8' and the garage we have now was a big selling point for me. It wasn't a must-have at the time but it is a huge bonus especially now with COVID.

Old 10-28-2020, 02:39 PM

1,897 posts, read 1,379,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
Our SZ has been rock-solid and it's over a decade old. We know one couple who has had their same SZ for over 20 years now and it still works great. Surprised to hear about quality issues on them. Maybe the new ones have a problem and we should hold on to our older ones as long as we can?
Yup! Repair it, baby it, and say a prayer. They don’t make them like they used to, gets truer every day. I recently had an experienced independent repair guy in to take a look at our 12 year old Kitchen Aid refrigerator. He fixed it but thinks it will go within a few years. I asked him what he would buy if price was no object and he just laughed. He said he’d buy a 15 year old refrigerator if it wasn’t for the amount of energy they sucked. His advice was to buy something with as few bells and whistles as possible, less moving parts to break. He also told me he has just come from a call on a 2 year old Thermador that had probably cost $10k to install. Bottom line, almost all appliances are garbage now. We’ve replaced our dishwasher twice in the past 6 years.

Old 10-28-2020, 05:53 PM

9,920 posts, read 15,488,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
Yup! Repair it, baby it, and say a prayer. They don’t make them like they used to, gets truer every day. I recently had an experienced independent repair guy in to take a look at our 12 year old Kitchen Aid refrigerator. He fixed it but thinks it will go within a few years. I asked him what he would buy if price was no object and he just laughed. He said he’d buy a 15 year old refrigerator if it wasn’t for the amount of energy they sucked. His advice was to buy something with as few bells and whistles as possible, less moving parts to break. He also told me he has just come from a call on a 2 year old Thermador that had probably cost $10k to install. Bottom line, almost all appliances are garbage now. We’ve replaced our dishwasher twice in the past 6 years.
Most modern appliances aren't expected to last more than 10 years now. We got rid of our 14 yr old Kitchen Aid last summer, after spending large money on previous repairs the past 2-3 years.

Old 10-29-2020, 07:39 AM

2,327 posts, read 1,738,459 times
Relatives have a backup fridge that is pretty old... works great and I don't think they ever had any repairs done on it. 80s for sure, perhaps even early 80s. Even survived a couple moves.

Old 10-29-2020, 07:58 AM

9,785 posts, read 7,051,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
Relatives have a backup fridge that is pretty old... works great and I don't think they ever had any repairs done on it. 80s for sure, perhaps even early 80s. Even survived a couple moves.
I just replaced a 12 YO fridge and I was told that is the outer edge of the life of new appliances. I still have a 90's era fridge in the garage for overflow. I've looked at replacing it as I'd probably save more energy in the next 5 years than the cost of a simple replacement unit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts