Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2020, 07:29 AM

880 posts, read 819,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowstatus View Post

Tying this to free speech protests is amusing for me to see the stories people make up, but factually wrong. The real reason is mundane.
The fact that so many employees had the time to think/discuss/organize about this during work hours hints of 'too much free time' on the hands of employees. Ie work is slowing down

Called me old fashioned but unless told otherwise, i assume my employer is paying me to work and not protest on social issues during work hours.

I suspect the other boston tech giant "tripadvisor" will run into similar issues(they already laying off)

BTW, had a friend who turned down an offer at wayfair 4 years ago. 5 years java experience at a top company, not ivy league. 120k a year + 2000 shares(over 4 yrs)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2020, 07:36 AM

636 posts, read 705,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Excellent! I hope that is the case!
Great! Why wait for the future? There are communities and hoods in Mass. already that applicants for employment need to be bilingual. Why not move in and enjoy Mass.'s future today?

Old 02-14-2020, 07:52 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wror View Post
Great! Why wait for the future? There are communities and hoods in Mass. already that applicants for employment need to be bilingual. Why not move in and enjoy Mass.'s future today?

Who is waiting?

Both my nephews are bilingual and fluent in two languages, one is well on to his way to a third.

It's great!

Old 02-14-2020, 08:16 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
Who is waiting?

Both my nephews are bilingual and fluent in two languages, one is well on to his way to a third.

It's great!
My assumption is wror doesn’t speak a second language. It gives you a very limited worldview.

Old 02-14-2020, 08:20 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,119,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
My assumption is wror doesn’t speak a second language. It gives you a very limited worldview.
I'm willing to bet he may have never left the country. Almost every other first world country has bilingual speakers as early as elementary school age.

Old 02-14-2020, 08:23 AM

349 posts, read 320,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
The fact that so many employees had the time to think/discuss/organize about this during work hours hints of 'too much free time' on the hands of employees. Ie work is slowing down

Called me old fashioned but unless told otherwise, i assume my employer is paying me to work and not protest on social issues during work hours.

I suspect the other boston tech giant "tripadvisor" will run into similar issues(they already laying off)

BTW, had a friend who turned down an offer at wayfair 4 years ago. 5 years java experience at a top company, not ivy league. 120k a year + 2000 shares(over 4 yrs)
I thought tech was absurdly pampering their employees when outside of the industry. Now that I'm in it, it makes more sense to me. Hard work still matters, but the productivity happens in spurts. Even within my typical 9-hour day, I'm probably spending 3 or so hours intensely focused, but the other 6 hours of socializing and taking breaks. In my previous finance career, I could spend a full day plugging away at work. A second part is that computers do the heavy lifting. Mundane work is less important, and having that critical insight is key. Third, the set of high performing tech workers is extremely limited. Hearing a person 3 years out of college earning total comp of $400k felt absurd to me, but now I realize that they're generating over $20 million in annual value to the company. Seems fair to me now.

Reading people's comments who don't work in the industry applying their life experience is quite off the mark. I'm not denying the validity in other work contexts, but it doesn't resonate with my experience working within tech. Lastly, I am particularly skeptical of people connecting news stories that fit a personal narrative (i.e. tech libs protest and get what's coming to them). There's a host of cognitive biases, that make this narrative likely untrue.

Old 02-14-2020, 08:23 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,921,958 times
Quote:
Most Americans don't speak a second language. It's the downside of living in a huge and (mostly) single-language country that has established it's own language as the global lingua franca.

Old 02-14-2020, 08:25 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:

My Spanish is horrible. It takes me about a week when in country in SA/CA to even be able to muddle through, it sucks, but that's on me.

The odd thing isn't not being able to speak a second language to me, but somehow thinking it is a negative to be able to. It's a great skill.

Old 02-14-2020, 08:38 AM

12,163 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
My Spanish is horrible. It takes me about a week when in country in SA/CA to even be able to muddle through, it sucks, but that's on me.

The odd thing isn't not being able to speak a second language to me, but somehow thinking it is a negative to be able to. It's a great skill.
tente Portugues!

Old 02-14-2020, 09:03 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Most Americans don't speak a second language. It's the downside of living in a huge and (mostly) single-language country that has established it's own language as the global lingua franca.
Given how much packaging is dual lingual at Home Depot, I'm thinking even working class folk might pick up some degree of es-SPAN-yol.

I find myself reading the Spanish on labels on certain products as many of the U.S. brands assume common knowledge among U.S. English speaking buyers. The Spanish tends to be more literal/descriptive - particularly with commodity type fillers, plaster compounds, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts