Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2020, 07:28 AM

24,456 posts, read 17,199,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
If they are arresting MS-13 members or other gang-bangers and deporting them, by all means, do it. When it comes to people who have come here who just want to work though, I don't have a big problem with them.

I used to live in a town in Western NY, big employer in town was a vegetable packing company. Every year, migrant workers would arrive to do the difficult work that Americans didn't want to do. I was taken aside by the townies and told that these latinos were "dangerous" and I needed to watch myself with them. Skeptical, I treated them with respect when I saw them, and they always were friendly and treated me with respect. There *was* actually a crime problem in that town - especially break-ins, burglaries and some pretty extreme destructive vandalism. You know who did that? It was the unemployed, drug-addled white youth who had grown up in the town, not the so-called "dangerous" vegetable pickers.

When I worked on MV I would often meet many immigrants from Brazil and most of them were hard working people that wanted nothing more than most and that is to be able to work and do positive things for their themselves, family and community but there were a percentage that were not so nice.

We have enough home grown drug dealers, scammers, drunk drivers and criminals of all sorts so it makes no sense to import more and protect the people that came here illegally and went on to commit crimes.
I just don't understand why some of our elected and their like minded judges want to protect illegal aliens that have gone on to break even more laws.

What is it going to take for people to wake up and realize that illegal immigration is a real problem?

Recently there was that young family from Whitman that was destroyed in a terrible car accident in Florida. It was front page news for a few days and a vigil was held to remember those lost in the terrible tragedy but I wonder if the other driver that crashed into them had been an illegal alien with a drinking problem that should have never been behind the wheel or even in the country after the first time he was caught drunk driving, but thanks to some Liberal judge he was given a slap on the wrist and shielded from ICE. I wonder how people would view this clod that murdered the family? I wonder if they would blame the system, the elected that gave him a pass or they would demand that illegal aliens be given driver licenses that might make them more responsible behind the wheel?

Illegal immigration is a big problem in America and unless it is checked it will be our undoing but no one wants to be the "bad guy" that clamps down on the issue and the one guy that is trying to do something is being called Hitler for trying to enforce existing immigration laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2020, 03:28 PM

5,947 posts, read 2,869,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
If they are arresting MS-13 members or other gang-bangers and deporting them, by all means, do it. When it comes to people who have come here who just want to work though, I don't have a big problem with them.

I used to live in a town in Western NY, big employer in town was a vegetable packing company. Every year, migrant workers would arrive to do the difficult work that Americans didn't want to do. I was taken aside by the townies and told that these latinos were "dangerous" and I needed to watch myself with them. Skeptical, I treated them with respect when I saw them, and they always were friendly and treated me with respect. There *was* actually a crime problem in that town - especially break-ins, burglaries and some pretty extreme destructive vandalism. You know who did that? It was the unemployed, drug-addled white youth who had grown up in the town, not the so-called "dangerous" vegetable pickers.
This is oh so true,We all know white people are bad.

Old 02-25-2020, 07:02 PM

6,804 posts, read 6,025,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
When I worked on MV I would often meet many immigrants from Brazil and most of them were hard working people that wanted nothing more than most and that is to be able to work and do positive things for their themselves, family and community but there were a percentage that were not so nice.
Well that’s the concern about ICE, isn’t it? That they will just start deporting people left and right without regard for their behavior? I’d love to see some evidence to ease my fear, but I remember seeing evidence to the contrary.

Old 02-25-2020, 08:07 PM

23,560 posts, read 18,651,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
Well that’s the concern about ICE, isn’t it? That they will just start deporting people left and right without regard for their behavior? I’d love to see some evidence to ease my fear, but I remember seeing evidence to the contrary.

In case you missed it earlier. Basically they are targeting criminals that had been released from jail in the sanctuary cities.

https://www.boston25news.com/news/lo...MGACX3EDKR4SM/

I couldn't read the NYT article, but from what I saw it looks like one of their typical cherry picked "heartwarming" stories to suit their agenda.

Old 02-25-2020, 08:50 PM

6,804 posts, read 6,025,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I couldn't read the NYT article, but from what I saw it looks like one of their typical cherry picked "heartwarming" stories to suit their agenda.
It was about an immigrant round-up at a factory in Mississippi in 2018. Are you saying that it didn’t happen or are you saying that special circumstances existed and the same thing could never happen in MA? If so, then what were those special circumstances?

Edit: Even read the article, and couldn’t see a clear statement that criminals would be targeted. Only a vague quote by some federal immigration official? Not to mention “25 News” is a fox-affiliated agency. You have to take its biases into account whenever you read their work.

Old 02-25-2020, 09:23 PM

Quote:
It was about an immigrant round-up at a factory in Mississippi in 2018. Are you saying that it didn’t happen or are you saying that special circumstances existed and the same thing could never happen in MA? If so, then what were those special circumstances?

Why were they targeting that factory? Past violations? Other intel? Stuff like that would be good to know, but such a biased source is likely to omit key things such as that.

Of course it could happen in MA or anywhere, the question is whether or not totally random raids is part of their regular operation. From everything I can see, they spend the majority of their limited resources going after the "big fish" ie. more serious criminals. And like anything else, there will always be "smaller fish" caught in the net as well. But as has already been covered, this is probably more likely to occur under these raids that would be otherwise unnecessary had these sanctuary cities not released these thugs in the first place.

Quote:
Edit: Even read the article, and couldn’t see a clear statement that criminals would be targeted. Only a vague quote by some federal immigration official? Not to mention “25 News” is a fox-affiliated agency. You have to take its biases into account whenever you read their work.

Without having access to the whole statement, I think this pretty much implies it:

"ICE then has to make “at large arrests” of these immigrants who have been released, Albence said in a statement announcing the move."

Old 02-25-2020, 10:13 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
It seems to me that ICE wouldn't have to resort to using tactics of at large sweeps of immigrant neighborhoods looking for illegals if the local authorities would just hand over the illegal criminal elements when they are in police custody. I just don't understand why liberals want to protect the illegal criminals and keep them in America instead of deporting them.

Old 02-25-2020, 10:27 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,572,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
The problem is that democrats painted themselves into a corner when they took a zero tolerance stance on deporting any undocumented person... even those accused of crimes(dui, id theft, assault)
cially r criminals
It is my understanding that the MAJORITY of deportations are for those who have committed some kind of crime(beyond being undocumented) . Why would people want criminals to stay here

Obama deported more than had previously been deported. I think many Democrat voters agree with the deportations, especially for criminals, but the politician Democrats are afraid of offending Hispanics. It's ridiculous. The illegals can't vote.

Old 02-26-2020, 07:10 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,135,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Obama deported more than had previously been deported. I think many Democrat voters agree with the deportations, especially for criminals, but the politician Democrats are afraid of offending Hispanics. It's ridiculous. The illegals can't vote.

Their U.S. born children can.

Side note for conservative posters claiming unauthorized immigration is itself crime: The Supreme Court disagrees with you. Here's an overview of conservative appointee Neil Gorsuch's comments this week during United States v. Sineneng-Smith

There’s another problem with the statute, as Justice Neil Gorsuch pointed out: It’s a “basic First Amendment value” that courts “don’t allow punishment for speech greater than the underlying conduct itself.” For instance, if you egg on a bank robbery, you can’t be sent to prison for longer than the thieves who robbed the bank. But simply residing in the United States without authorization isn’t a felony or even a misdemeanor; it’s a civil offense. How, Gorsuch asked, can the government “criminally punish the speech” when the conduct itself “would be civilly punished?”

Old 02-26-2020, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Their U.S. born children can.

Side note for conservative posters claiming unauthorized immigration is itself crime: The Supreme Court disagrees with you. Here's an overview of conservative appointee Neil Gorsuch's comments this week during United States v. Sineneng-Smith

There’s another problem with the statute, as Justice Neil Gorsuch pointed out: It’s a “basic First Amendment value” that courts “don’t allow punishment for speech greater than the underlying conduct itself.” For instance, if you egg on a bank robbery, you can’t be sent to prison for longer than the thieves who robbed the bank. But simply residing in the United States without authorization isn’t a felony or even a misdemeanor; it’s a civil offense. How, Gorsuch asked, can the government “criminally punish the speech” when the conduct itself “would be civilly punished?”

I see zero relevance to that case.

Many illegals entered the country by criminal methods. As for visa overstays, a good portion of them lied to a federal official at some stage in the game as to their intentions of coming in. That is FRAUD, and a crime as well.

But when all is said and done, while it's unfortunate that a peaceful/hard working father or mother gets sent back; they made a calculated risk right from the get go fully knowing that they are eligible for deportation at any time. THEY ARE NOT AUTHORIZED TO BE IN THE UNITED STATES.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts