Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2020, 12:48 PM

13 posts, read 9,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
A response to the main question here:

Andover is the white collar professional bedroom town north of Boston and it's always been that way. The town is about 15% Asian compared to near-zero in Beverly. The percent of college educated adults is much higher and incomes are far higher. Andover is 25% under age 25 where Beverly is much lower. In your demographic as a married couple who just moved in with a young child and another on the way, you're mostly going to interact with other parents. They're just like you. I'd guess easily 20% Asian/Indian and a bunch of other assorted foreign born from around the globe. Your network and friends are going to be those families.

I peeked at your other thread where you have to go to Cambridge a couple of days per week. The people I know who do that try to flex their hours and drive. It's awful at 7:30. It's not bad if you start drive at 9am. Not ideal if you have children in daycare but it's the reality of Boston traffic.

Thank you GeoffD. Regarding my commute to Cambridge, I have another option too which I feel is the most convenient. My company arranges for a shuttle at several different times of the day from a campus in Andover that drops us directly in front of the Cambridge office. As of now I work from home, but when the time comes , am going to take this shuttle. This mix of population from different cultures is exactly what I am looking for that is definitely lacking in Beverly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2020, 12:49 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Well that's a damn fine perk.

Old 03-10-2020, 01:01 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,916,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon007 View Post
This mix of population from different cultures is exactly what I am looking for that is definitely lacking in Beverly.
It is not diverse in the grand scheme of the United States, but it is diverse relative to some of those North Shore towns. Philips Andover pulls from, what, 50+ countries? Andover public schools are probably 20% Asian. There is a Jewish population that I'd assume doesn't exist in Beverly. You have Lowell on one side, and Lawrence on the other, so there is a lot of Asian/Hispanic culture across town borders.

It will feel different, if not very different than Beverly in this way.

Old 03-10-2020, 02:06 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,021,860 times
Beverly ranks a 9 out of 10 on my personal "annoying townie" meter. I'm not surprised you're feeling a chill there. Andover will have less of a chill.

Although I moved away from New England a couple decades ago my spouse still has deep ties to Beverly. I always felt like the natives there especially had a chip on their shoulder about their 'North Shore status/pecking order.' Like they were insistent they were way better than Salemites but that people from Swampscott and M-Head and Manchester were inveterate snobs. Meanwhile to an outsider they're all just slight variations on the North Shore Townie scale.

I grew up in a very poor town in Mass, but since I moved away 20+ years ago to start my now successful career my wife's Bev friends seem to always think I'm from Swampscott. It's like a knee-jerk reaction. Weird and lame.

PS, Harrison's is awesome, esp the fries. Do they still, however, use the off-brand ketchup?

Old 03-12-2020, 07:20 AM

Thank you to all those who have responded with great information. Our plans have taken a side track , we have found our almost dream home in a beautiful neighborhood in North Andover. I guess the same concerns apply to North Andover, I am guessing that North Andover is very diverse too. But how are the schools there? Also summer recreational activities in North Andover , is there plenty to do there? This buy is still a long way to go , but I would like to know as much as possible about this town before diving deep into this process. Does anyone have their kids going to Little Sprouts daycare in N Andover, how do you like it?

Thanks in advance !!

Old 03-12-2020, 08:56 AM

550 posts, read 680,411 times
Quote:
Thank you to all those who have responded with great information. Our plans have taken a side track , we have found our almost dream home in a beautiful neighborhood in North Andover. I guess the same concerns apply to North Andover, I am guessing that North Andover is very diverse too. But how are the schools there? Also summer recreational activities in North Andover , is there plenty to do there? This buy is still a long way to go , but I would like to know as much as possible about this town before diving deep into this process. Does anyone have their kids going to Little Sprouts daycare in N Andover, how do you like it?

Thanks in advance !!
I have lived in North Andover for almost 10 years. Our downtown is not as lively as Andover. It's pretty much dead on the weekends. Just a few pizza places/salons/banks etc. During summer time Stevens Pond is open. Its a local pond just for residents. We have 2 popular farms (Smolak, Boston Hill) many great restaurants like Buono Bistro, Orzo, Jaimes, Casa Blanca the list goes on. Plenty of things for kids to do. I have no experience with Little Sprouts. My daughter has been in the school system since K and she is now in 5th. Schools are good. She is on an IEP and I have been very pleased with the services that she receives. There are 5 elementary schools, 1 middle school and a high school. My only concern right now is the over crowding issue at the middle school. Two years ago they built a separate school just for Kindergarten that way this will open up classrooms at the existing elementary schools. I have been pleased with class sizes so far at the elementary level. My daughters 5th grade class has 16 students. Last year they had 15 in 4th grade. Hopefully by the time your kids are middle school age they have either expanded the current middle school or built an additional one. That is currently in the talks. Overall it is a great town and pretty safe. Any idea what elementary school is the one assigned to the area you are thinking of moving?

Old 03-12-2020, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sal1181 View Post
I have lived in North Andover for almost 10 years. Our downtown is not as lively as Andover. It's pretty much dead on the weekends. Just a few pizza places/salons/banks etc. During summer time Stevens Pond is open. Its a local pond just for residents. We have 2 popular farms (Smolak, Boston Hill) many great restaurants like Buono Bistro, Orzo, Jaimes, Casa Blanca the list goes on. Plenty of things for kids to do. I have no experience with Little Sprouts. My daughter has been in the school system since K and she is now in 5th. Schools are good. She is on an IEP and I have been very pleased with the services that she receives. There are 5 elementary schools, 1 middle school and a high school. My only concern right now is the over crowding issue at the middle school. Two years ago they built a separate school just for Kindergarten that way this will open up classrooms at the existing elementary schools. I have been pleased with class sizes so far at the elementary level. My daughters 5th grade class has 16 students. Last year they had 15 in 4th grade. Hopefully by the time your kids are middle school age they have either expanded the current middle school or built an additional one. That is currently in the talks. Overall it is a great town and pretty safe. Any idea what elementary school is the one assigned to the area you are thinking of moving?
Thanks Sal1181. This house is assigned to Annie L Sargent School. Neighborhood is beautiful. Does the town have good Mom's groups or clubs to network and have playdates with kids?

Old 03-12-2020, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Thanks Sal1181. This house is assigned to Annie L Sargent School. Neighborhood is beautiful. Does the town have good Mom's groups or clubs to network and have playdates with kids?
yes it does. I've actually have been on the board of the Newcomers & Newcomers Club of the Andovers for almost 2 years. It's exclusively only for Andover & North Andover residents. The club has a mom & tot group that meets weekly. We also have other events. The Sargent school is the largest elementary school in town.You can check out North Andover Moms on Facebook.

Old 03-12-2020, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sal1181 View Post
yes it does. I've actually have been on the board of the Newcomers & Newcomers Club of the Andovers for almost 2 years. It's exclusively only for Andover & North Andover residents. The club has a mom & tot group that meets weekly. We also have other events. The Sargent school is the largest elementary school in town.You can check out North Andover Moms on Facebook.
Awesome information!! Thank you very much. Also is Pomps Pond open to residents from North Andover as well?

Old 03-12-2020, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Awesome information!! Thank you very much. Also is Pomps Pond open to residents from North Andover as well?
Yes you can purchase a single daily pass for non resident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts