Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2021, 08:43 AM

7,924 posts, read 7,811,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
At least a 60-something boxer has CTE to blame. I don’t think 30% of the country has CTE.
I met Peter Mcneeley long ago. It's sad what it can do. I'd argue at least with the NFL the helmet is hard. Think of all the boxers without any head protection taking direct hits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2021, 09:39 AM

3,973 posts, read 5,768,214 times
MA's positive case counts definitely look like they have plateaued and might even be trending up again.

Old 03-14-2021, 12:01 PM

16,358 posts, read 8,174,665 times
https://www.yahoo.com/news/fauci-wer...133631826.html

Old 03-15-2021, 06:18 AM

Vaccine versions are becoming more nationalistic. Recently China has announced that their version of a vaccine would be what they require for entry. This makes things significantly complicated because they've also been providing Aid of this to Latin America and Africa which are doing much worse than anywhere else. These vaccines are only at 50%. Whereas Johnson & Johnson's and the other ones in the US and Europe are often in the 80 to 95% range

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...inese-vaccines

"Most countries in the West have not yet approved vaccines developed by Chinese pharmaceutic companies, which have been reticent in sharing details of their vaccine trials crucial for building public trust around the world. China is having more success introducing its vaccines in Africa and Latin America, where countries including Zimbabwe and Equatorial Guinea have received vaccine aid from Beijing."

I'm all for the vaccines but to me this just sounds like format Wars all over again but with Public Health at risk. The other factor is how many people from China are still in the US that didn't go back and if they can't go back until they get the vaccine does that mean that get shipped here or they have to go there and receive it there?

Old 03-15-2021, 07:02 AM

6,125 posts, read 5,095,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Vaccine versions are becoming more nationalistic.
Absolutely. India is using its homegrown Covishield (81% efficacy in Phase III trials). And the vaccine certificate given to each person is printed with a QR code (presumably to avoid fraud for the 2nd shot), and get this--has a mugshot of PM Modi at the bottom, with a nationalistic slogan printed!

Old 03-15-2021, 07:14 AM

12,411 posts, read 9,510,794 times
I don't think that there is anything wrong with describing taking the vaccine as the patriotic thing to do, or a patriotic duty, etc. Certainly you protect yourself, but you also protect everyone else. No one gets infected with Covid-19 on their own, it's only through the "help" of others that infection occurs. You're opting out of the chain of transmission when you get the shots.

Old 03-15-2021, 07:24 AM

I'm not against people getting vaccines but I think that if we have different versions without having some uniform reciprocity it's going to make this much harder to conduct International Commerce alongside student enrollment.

Old 03-15-2021, 07:31 AM

1,362 posts, read 873,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Absolutely. India is using its homegrown Covishield (81% efficacy in Phase III trials). And the vaccine certificate given to each person is printed with a QR code (presumably to avoid fraud for the 2nd shot), and get this--has a mugshot of PM Modi at the bottom, with a nationalistic slogan printed!
That's ridiculous. That'd be like one of our presidents signing his name on a stimulus check so people thought it came from him. Could you imagine?

In other news about efficacy, I read a short piece the other day on NPR that essentially cautioned the average Joe to stop throwing forth opinions on what shot did what. Some of you here may know what you're talking about, as we do live in a hub for this sort of stuff, but the vast majority—here, and especially elsewhere across this country—have absolutely no clue how one should interpret efficacy rates. Pfizer vs. Moderna. vs. J&J vs. etc. Even the topmost experts have no idea what the efficacy rates are because all of the tests were done differently.

Get a needle in your arm, yes, but stop playing armchair epidemiologists.

Old 03-15-2021, 07:40 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
I don't think that there is anything wrong with describing taking the vaccine as the patriotic thing to do, or a patriotic duty, etc. Certainly you protect yourself, but you also protect everyone else. No one gets infected with Covid-19 on their own, it's only through the "help" of others that infection occurs. You're opting out of the chain of transmission when you get the shots.

I prefer "civic duty" to "patriotic". I guess you need to use "patriotic" with the mouth breathers. My news feed is saying almost half of Trump voters won't vaccinate. WTF!

Old 03-15-2021, 07:45 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,493,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
My news feed is saying almost half of Trump voters won't vaccinate. WTF!
Same here, along with BS conspiracy theories and such. Many of my hobbies are conservative leaning. They amount of garbage I've been reading is astounding. I have to just step away. I used to think I was conservative leaning. Now I don't know where I fit in.

EDIT: oops auto-correct

Last edited by BostonMike7; 03-15-2021 at 08:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts