U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2021, 11:14 AM

4,777 posts, read 1,570,322 times

Advertisements

Not about MA but interesting article from the NYT on how corona has changed public transit in NYC:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...=&utm_content=

I cant say I feel sorry for NYC public transit. Similarly to the MBTA they simply didn't care about their riders and now thanks to WFH from they have a lot less.

Last edited by msRB311; 03-15-2021 at 12:15 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2021, 12:15 PM

10,306 posts, read 18,401,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Not about MA but interesting article from the NYT on how corona has changed public transit in NYC:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...=&utm_content=
Probably pretty similar to what's happening here in the metro Boston area. My very unscientific eyeball test would lead me to believe that's the case here. Traffic heading north to Vermont last Friday afternoon was the closest I've seen it to pre-pandemic levels. My subway rides in the morning/afternoon are getting busier, but definitely not close to where they were prior to the pandemic.

It makes sense. Cars are the safest way to travel. People aren't going into the office yet en masse. The train vs. subway vs. bus breakdown makes sense too. Buses have seen the highest rebound in ridership (still low), followed by subways, followed by commuter rail. Bus riders are generally the lowest income public transit riders and the least likely to have a car/work from home. Subways are next - still serving the inner city, but land values around subway stations are generally higher and riders make more money (more have cars and/or work from home), though subways are still very mixed. Commuter rail generally has the more affluent ridership, many (most even) of whom can work from home or drive.

It's going to take a while before those ridership levels get back to where they were.

Old 03-15-2021, 12:21 PM

1,297 posts, read 638,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I won't be eligible until May1
Could always be earlier albeit I wouldn't expect it until April 12th at the earliest. All Biden said was that he wanted states to make everyone eligible by May 1st.

Old 03-15-2021, 01:32 PM

16,111 posts, read 11,823,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post
If in a year the FDA has fully approved and there have been so few cases filed of complications that no further investigation is needed, I'd be comfortable taking it. I don't know what % of the population is most at-risk, but I do think that if high-risk people had the vaccine and those of us who were very low-risk did not, we would be fine as a nation. I think if those who were high-risk had the vaccine and those who were low-risk did not, we'd have fewer fatalities per year than we have with the flu.

You might think it's only about fatalities, but there enough considering the broader picture that we just aren't going to get the country going again without herd immunity in place and the only path to that right now is via vaccinating the critical number people (70%, 85%?). Do we have an idea who is "very low risk"? Elementary school kids (who the vaccine hasn't even been approved for yet)? They say 1 in 3 can expect long term complications from the virus, and from everything I seen that's much less choosy than who it's actually fatal on.

And this also totally disregards the greater ability of new worse/resistant variants to develop, the longer more are able to keep the spread going.

Quote:
I think another issue with getting those who might be on the fence about the vaccine into the pro-vaccine camp is that it doesn't feel like anything is gained. So I get the vaccine, yet I still have to wear a mask and socially distance? Grandparents shouldn't be seeing their grandkids, even post-vaccine? For those who are low risk, the major incentive to get the vaccine is to start getting back to normalcy. Without that, there isn't much of an incentive.
It's the difference between a return to normalcy in 5 months from now, or 5 more years... (will we even have a country left at that point)??? I mean really? There are 5th graders who can understand that.

Old 03-15-2021, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I've also seen some people start to come around on the vaccine. When we offered the vaccine through my employer, several "No thank you's" in January have been asking if they can now get it. I hope that's indicative of a bigger trend.
I've seen this in my world as well, a few weeks after seeing those of us having the shot not growing a 3rd arm and leg, etc.

Old 03-15-2021, 02:08 PM

707 posts, read 682,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
You might think it's only about fatalities, but there enough considering the broader picture that we just aren't going to get the country going again without herd immunity in place and the only path to that right now is via vaccinating the critical number people (70%, 85%?). Do we have an idea who is "very low risk"? Elementary school kids (who the vaccine hasn't even been approved for yet)? They say 1 in 3 can expect long term complications from the virus, and from everything I seen that's much less choosy than who it's actually fatal on.

And this also totally disregards the greater ability of new worse/resistant variants to develop, the longer more are able to keep the spread going.

It's the difference between a return to normalcy in 5 months from now, or 5 more years... (will we even have a country left at that point)??? I mean really? There are 5th graders who can understand that.
You're so condescending. Then get your vaccine. You do you, I'm not asking anything of you.

Old 03-15-2021, 02:10 PM

Quote:
You're so condescending. Then get your vaccine. You do you, I'm not asking anything of you.
Wasn't telling anybody to do anything.

Old 03-15-2021, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Wasn't telling anybody to do anything.
Oh, it sounded to me like you want people to get the vaccine. I must have misread.

Old 03-15-2021, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Oh, it sounded to me like you want people to get the vaccine. I must have misread.
Of course I do. I want my country back, and it would be dishonest to suggest that an individual's decision not to get it does not have negative consequences and threaten our return to normalcy. But like I said in the beginning, it's not on me to tell you how to make your own healthcare decisions. People have varying reasons, and they can be personal. But if you share your reasoning on a public forum such as this, it's not longer private and therefore subject to scrutiny. It's your logic that I am disputing, not your right to make your own decisions for you.

Old 03-15-2021, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Of course I do. I want my country back, and it would be dishonest to suggest that an individual's decision not to get it does not have negative consequences and threaten our return to normalcy. But like I said in the beginning, it's not on me to tell you how to make your own healthcare decisions. People have varying reasons, and they can be personal. But if you share your reasoning on a public forum such as this, it's not longer private and therefore subject to scrutiny. It's your logic I am disputing, not your right to make your own decisions for you.
Oh, then I didn't misread. The difference is that I support those who want to get the vaccine 100%. I also support those who don't feel comfortable 100%. I have no issue with you scrutinizing my reasons...or what I feel is a barrier for those who are still on the fence about getting the vaccine. My issue is that you were condescending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts