U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2021, 11:50 AM

3,793 posts, read 2,337,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I'm not overstating anything. I'm just saying that there is a non-zero probability that at least one of the vaccines has some kind of long term safety issue. Nobody can say with 100% assurance that there won't be an issue since we have zero data. My opinion, which has no basis at all, is that it's highly unlikely but that's just my opinion.
IMO, "Low" and "not zero" leaves amble room for incorrect interpretation. Stating "highly unlikely" places the odds closer to what is probably real ... near zero.

Yeah, I'm being a bit overzealous here as I've grown tired of hearing vaccine concerns superceding virus concerns. The vaccine concerns are far more pervasive in my social sphere than I anticipated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2021, 06:17 AM

6,741 posts, read 5,872,371 times
I have faith in vaccines but I have more faith in better vaccines. I rather not take the vaccine from AstraZeneca and I certainly wouldn't want to take one that's from China give me the one from Pfizer

Old 03-18-2021, 07:24 AM

13,197 posts, read 14,989,995 times
Here's a question not meant to stir up controversy, but an effort to understand the mindset of a select group of people.

In my daily commute, I continue to see people, driving alone in a car, wearing a mask. Nobody else is in the car. Why?

Old 03-18-2021, 07:24 AM

831 posts, read 454,884 times
There is a non-zero probability of a long term adverse event for ALL new therapies - statistically and practically.

That is why so much care, thought, statistical design, and expense goes into clinical trial design and execution. Of course, trials are still a subset of the population and can't assess all permutations and combinations.

I can understand why there is some trepidation around new mRNA technology but the same can be said for any of the new biologics therapies that are hugely successful. It is a risk/reward/probability situation.

I would get a shot tomorrow without hesitation if it was my turn, and I am theoretically at very low risk impact from COVID.

Old 03-18-2021, 07:26 AM

4,643 posts, read 1,537,687 times
Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Here's a question not meant to stir up controversy, but an effort to understand the mindset of a select group of people.

In my daily commute, I continue to see people, driving alone in a car, wearing a mask. Nobody else is in the car. Why?
Lol. My DH always makes fun of those people. I don't know why they do it unless they just didn't feel like taking it off.

Old 03-18-2021, 07:41 AM

20,484 posts, read 11,995,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Lol. My DH always makes fun of those people. I don't know why they do it unless they just didn't feel like taking it off.

If you're properly trained to use PPE in a hospital, you put it on once and leave it on. Any time you take it off risks infection. That's N95, shield, gloves, etc. Before COVID-19 created a shortage, the N95 mask and gloves went straight into the trash when you removed them and you always put on fresh ones.

I generally use a surgical mask which doesn't do much to protect me. It's to protect other people. Getting in the car, I alcohol wipe my hands from the pump bottle in the door and hang the surgical mask from the mirror. If I'm out shopping and driving a couple minutes to the next store, I might leave the mask on.

Old 03-18-2021, 07:51 AM

831 posts, read 454,884 times
Quote:

Probably multiple stops and easier to leave it on - greatest risk in mask wearing is contamination from your hands when removing it.

Maybe they are belting out 80s tunes and want to do it on the DL without judging eyes.

Old 03-18-2021, 07:53 AM

13,197 posts, read 14,989,995 times
Ok, that makes logical sense. I employ a different strategy, but I can understand the reasoning now.

Old 03-18-2021, 07:58 AM

20,484 posts, read 11,995,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer2 View Post
Probably multiple stops and easier to leave it on - greatest risk in mask wearing is contamination from your hands when removing it.

Maybe they are belting out 80s tunes and want to do it on the DL without judging eyes.

My Achy Breaky Heart requires a mask.

Old 03-18-2021, 08:28 AM

705 posts, read 681,395 times
Quote:

I have actually given this more thought than I should. These are my hypotheses:

1. Uber or Lyft driver
2. Forgot it is on (this has happened to me for a couple of minutes after going through a drive-thru)
3. Currently has covid and wants to get out of the house, but maybe wants to keep virus to a minimum in the car?
4. As someone else said, has multiple stops close together and just not worth taking it off
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts