U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2021, 09:20 AM

13,197 posts, read 14,989,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Did they mean in infected individuals, or more of a broad trend where people were less active and eating more, with all the increased time spent at home?
Related to a viral infection

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...9-and-diabetes
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2021, 09:21 AM

20,484 posts, read 11,995,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Did they mean in infected individuals, or more of a broad trend where people were less active and eating more, with all the increased time spent at home?

It's patients hospitalized with COVID-19. Both Type 1 and Type 2.

Link: https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...9-and-diabetes

Quote:
Prof Francesco Rubino, from King’s College London, is leading the call for a full investigation into a possible link between the two diseases. Having seen a rise in both type 1 and type 2 diabetes in people who have caught coronavirus, some doctors are even considering the possibility that the virus ‒ by disrupting sugar metabolism ‒ could be inducing an entirely new form of diabetes.

Quote:
Dr Sathish Thirunavukkarasu, an investigator at Canada’s McMaster University, has conducted a review encompassing eight studies from different countries from the first five months of the pandemic. Thirunavukkarasu and colleagues found a combined 492 cases of newly diagnosed diabetes among 3,711 hospitalised Covid-19 patients, or a pooled proportion of 14.4%.

These figures include both Covid-19 patients who were diagnosed with diabetes for the first time, as well as people who previously had diabetes – but didn’t know they had the disease, he explained.It’s hard to ignore the dramatic symptoms of type 1 diabetes, where the body does not make any insulin. But in the case of type 2 diabetes – in which the body is unable to make enough insulin or the insulin doesn’t work properly – symptoms are easy to miss because they appear gradually.

Old 03-19-2021, 11:31 AM

7,165 posts, read 4,162,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I've noticed it starting to pick up a bit in the afternoon. My AM commute hasn't changed in the year, but I find myself sitting in a little traffic on I95 in the afternoons on my way to get home. It's still not too bad, but just as a point of reference, my AM commute is 17 mins consistently, while the same route in reverse is now 30-35min. In 2019, it was 50-60mins each way, so it's still great.

Once or twice a month I go down to Providence on Friday afternoon around 4PM and head back. That drive has been great for all of 2020 and pretty consistent in terms of time, but the last couple trips I have noticed it's been taking an extra 10-15mins each way now.

Don't get me wrong, traffic is still great, but my dreams of being able to relocate further away are slowly getting dashed as commute times start to creep up a bit.
The backup at 128 South and Rt.3/Middlesex Tpk in Burlington is back to normal. Around 3 PM, the backup to take the ramp is back to Rt. 3A.

Old 03-19-2021, 11:42 AM

831 posts, read 454,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
The backup at 128 South and Rt.3/Middlesex Tpk in Burlington is back to normal. Around 3 PM, the backup to take the ramp is back to Rt. 3A.
I heard that 93 south of Boston is also creeping back to the commuting disaster that it was.

Old 03-19-2021, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
It's patients hospitalized with COVID-19. Both Type 1 and Type 2.

Link: https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...9-and-diabetes
Interesting that it is both - given that T1 is an autoimmune disease that destroys b cells in the pancreas.

Old 03-19-2021, 11:46 AM

4,643 posts, read 1,537,687 times
Im surprised to hear traffic is bad again ? Many are still remote. Well it's going to get a lot worse then as more people go back the next few months.

Old 03-19-2021, 11:52 AM

1,518 posts, read 498,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer2 View Post
I heard that 93 south of Boston is also creeping back to the commuting disaster that it was.
Oh it is. I got complacent with the lower traffic and about a month ago thought I'd get clever one afternoon and take a shortcut to South Bay by hopping on the 93S onramp/frontage at Albany and taking it to South Bay (instead of going down Mass Ave), and ended up adding 15 minutes to my trip.

Old 03-19-2021, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
Oh it is. I got complacent with the lower traffic and about a month ago thought I'd get clever one afternoon and take a shortcut to South Bay by hopping on the 93S onramp/frontage at Albany and taking it to South Bay (instead of going down Mass Ave), and ended up adding 15 minutes to my trip.
Ha - I used to do the same thing when I lived in the S End, and got caught in traffic a few times - sweet when it works though.

I don't know how anyone deals with 93S rush hour traffic on a daily basis.

Old 03-19-2021, 12:00 PM

1,518 posts, read 498,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Im surprised to hear traffic is bad again ? Many are still remote. Well it's going to get a lot worse then as more people go back the next few months.
In Boston at least, it's not just workers on the road. The restaurant crowds have started coming back and Friday/Saturdays in particular there's a lot of car/foot traffic around hotspots. Many of those remote workers are still coming in to go to favorite dining spots, take their kid to the playground/museum/aquarium, or just to walk around.

Old 03-19-2021, 12:19 PM

4,643 posts, read 1,537,687 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
In Boston at least, it's not just workers on the road. The restaurant crowds have started coming back and Friday/Saturdays in particular there's a lot of car/foot traffic around hotspots. Many of those remote workers are still coming in to go to favorite dining spots, take their kid to the playground/museum/aquarium, or just to walk around.
ugh. Dont miss that at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts