Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2021, 10:04 AM

6,125 posts, read 5,097,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by builder24car View Post
As of now the Worcester and Boston areas.

Edited to add... does anyone know the best location to get some photos of the
Providence and Worcester railroad in Worcester? I won't have the time to do
much chasing but some roster shots would be great!
Sounds like you may be best off looking along I-495. Should be plenty of hotels to choose from: Milford, Marlborough, Littleton, Westford for starters. Can't help you with the railroad question however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2021, 11:35 AM

2,111 posts, read 2,726,442 times
What are the prime vacation spots? This will be my first trip to Massachusetts
so I have no idea? I'll probably check out Yankee Candle in Deerfield and would
like to grab a meal at the Steaming Tender Restaurant in Palmer. I don't have
to stay in a prime location, I'll be driving a lot as it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Hotels are open, but prime vacation spots are booked solid and have been early.

Old 04-24-2021, 11:40 AM

That's a great start, thank you very much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Sounds like you may be best off looking along I-495. Should be plenty of hotels to choose from: Milford, Marlborough, Littleton, Westford for starters. Can't help you with the railroad question however.

Old 04-24-2021, 11:52 AM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Quote:
If you go to Yankee Candle, be sure to also visit Historic Deerfield if you are at all interested in history. It is a gem and is close by. It's one of the best preserved historic sites in the state. There is a very interesting museum and one of the most gripping exhibits is the Indian Door--complete with hatchet mark left there in 1704. There's also a bookstore/gift shop and it's all located on The Street. The Street is like walking into another world--houses from the 1700s, restored and open to tour. You might not want to tour a house though as they are somewhat expensive and there's plenty else to see--I enjoy the little old school house. The area around Deerfield is drop dead gorgeous with green meadows as far as the eye can see.

You could stay at the Deerfield Inn, but I don't know much about it anymore. To get to the Steaming Tender, you'd head back down I-91 to the Mass Pike. I have a RR friend who drives up from CT to eat at the Steaming Tender and people say it's really good food besides the RR aspect.

Old 04-24-2021, 11:54 AM

12,420 posts, read 9,519,802 times
Quote:
Along the coast, Cape Cod, Plymouth, Boston/Cambridge, Salem, Gloucester/Rockport, and Newburyport would be some highlights and could easily use up a few days or a week depending on how fast you go. There's some good historical content there already but if you're a history buff, some people will also like to head inland and check out Lexington, Concord, Old Sturbridge Village and Historic Deerfield.

Old 04-24-2021, 02:29 PM

2,352 posts, read 1,779,566 times
Past 3.5 mill now. Between that and there being openings at CVS and Walgreens, I have a feeling that we will hear from Charlie next week if not Monday on the timing of going 100% open.

Old 04-24-2021, 03:05 PM

Thank you in_newengland, I appreciate that! I have saved it to my trip info.

Old 04-24-2021, 03:11 PM

I had no idea Deerfield was historic, that is cool! Good info, thanks OutdoorLover!

Old 04-24-2021, 03:26 PM

8,373 posts, read 4,388,978 times
Quote:
As of now the Worcester and Boston areas.

Edited to add... does anyone know the best location to get some photos of the
Providence and Worcester railroad in Worcester? I won't have the time to do
much chasing but some roster shots would be great!

I assume you are asking about hotels near the railroad? As I remember, if you are facing the Union Station (which is also a fairly cool building), go to the right, and there is a short tunnel/overpass marked Providence and Worcester. Two hotels close to the Union Station (and the rest of the railroad in Worcester) are Holiday Inn Express and Hilton. I stayed at the present Holiday Inn Express when it was a different hotel chain (can't remember what it was called, they may not be in business any more... memory problems of senior age) when I worked on/off on contracts in Worcester in 2003-2005, and it was a very short walk from the Union Station. I have passed through Worcester on Amtrak more recently, and could see Holiday Inn Express from the train (that is how I know the building is now owned by Holiday Inn).

Old 04-24-2021, 03:44 PM

8,373 posts, read 4,388,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
I wouldn't say no issues but could be signs that demand is starting to wean a bit.

They estimate that more than 90% of people in MA want the vaccine (the highest % in the nation), and only 33% are fully vaccinated, so I don't think the demand is weaning. But probably people just pre-register for mass sites, and stop looking around for other places when they realize it's too much hassle and time-consuming (the way I did myself). That may result in more open appointments going unfilled at smaller sites.

Btw, I had my second dose of Pfizer on Thurs at Hynes Convention Ctr in Boston, and had a really bad night after that with temp 103, as I described in more detail on Retirement forum where I tend to post more. I am entirely back to normal today, but am totally not looking forward to booster shots in the future. I dread the misery that I now expect afterwards, though I will of course take the boosters anyway (one night of misery still compares favorably with several weeks of it followed by death).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts