Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2021, 06:42 AM

779 posts, read 876,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Heard something interesting today.

Friend of the family's daughter is graduating from UVM shortly. As a requirement, anyone who is attending to watch the ceremony needs to be 2 weeks post vaccination, and show proof of that.

Her parents have not gotten their shots yet, so they won't be able to attend.
Is it not an option to show a negative test in lieu of having the vaccination?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2021, 06:47 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,806,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
It definitely didn't seem this bad. I think a big part of the problem is--with so many people remote, there are no spontaneous interactions by which to learn information. So a meeting is called just to gather or exchange information. And it seemed like the transit time to/between meetings forced a bit of a mental break. And for sure, lunchtime was respected by all.
But I've seen some of the inverse. I've been to some meetings that are very productive and down to about a half an hour. I've been in some that literally at last hours. Yes I can understand that some people really want to talk to somebody else it's at a meeting but sometimes it has to happen after hours and not everybody has to talk to some of the same people so it gets to be a pain that while I need to talk to this person but I need to leave the meeting because it's just taking too long it just has to be a schedule cluster.

I remember when I used to have a small meeting of maybe six people and for some reason other people start showing up that were very Loosely related and it ballooned up to about 18. How the heck did we triple the number of people at this meeting? Supposedly Jeff Bezos has a mindset of two pizzas. He says if you have a meeting and you order two pizzas and people still want food you have had too many people there.

And then I've had meetings before we're just a single email would have worked. Nothing like telling somebody directly face-to-face for a half an hour "I did that already"

Old 05-06-2021, 06:58 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,317,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Before the pandemic when you were in the office did you have back to back meetings ? Even when I was in an office full time people complained about having too many meetings so we tried something called no meeting Wednesday. It worked for a bit but then people found the meetings would just get shoved onto any day that wasn't Wednesday. Not sure why people thought the meetings would go away when we moved to remote. The bigger problem seems to be the need to have so many meetings. Like the saying goes, that meeting could have been an email. Not everything can be and some people have more meetings than others but back to back meetings every day seems like an issue or a sign that more people need to be hired.
For my little corner of the world, it feels like more due to restricted travel and time zones. Pre-pandemic, we could gather a group of people for a project and they'd all fly in to the appropriate office for that particular group for a week. We'd get in war rooms and hack through things together, and since we were all synced up, we started at 8, had our lunches at 11:30 or whenever, and went back to the hotel at 5 to have dinner and enjoy the local sights if it was somewhere we didn't often travel to.

Now, we're all at home, so we're lining up meetings that work for people on the west coast, the east coast, Europe, India, and Singapore. You might be clobbering my lunch hour, but it's also meaning some guy is up at 11 PM on a call and someone else is up at 7 AM on that call. Some calls won't fall at a bad time, but others will.

Add to this the fact that with travel, you usually had such a block of meetings you became exclusive to one group that week and the volume felt manageable. Now, everyone's scheduling every week on top of one another, and instead of one-week, one-project, it's one-week, many-projects.

Old 05-06-2021, 07:23 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
For my little corner of the world, it feels like more due to restricted travel and time zones. Pre-pandemic, we could gather a group of people for a project and they'd all fly in to the appropriate office for that particular group for a week. We'd get in war rooms and hack through things together, and since we were all synced up, we started at 8, had our lunches at 11:30 or whenever, and went back to the hotel at 5 to have dinner and enjoy the local sights if it was somewhere we didn't often travel to.

Now, we're all at home, so we're lining up meetings that work for people on the west coast, the east coast, Europe, India, and Singapore. You might be clobbering my lunch hour, but it's also meaning some guy is up at 11 PM on a call and someone else is up at 7 AM on that call. Some calls won't fall at a bad time, but others will.

Add to this the fact that with travel, you usually had such a block of meetings you became exclusive to one group that week and the volume felt manageable. Now, everyone's scheduling every week on top of one another, and instead of one-week, one-project, it's one-week, many-projects.
That's how it is for me, but it's always been like this. I deal with folks in Cali and in Asia a lot, and the meeting times never line up. I frequently have meetings from 8-10PM during the week. i didn't really find this to change at all after WFH started.

I know some will gripe at the thought of working in the evenings, but I still try to balance it out. If I know i have 2 hours of PM meetings, I cut my normal day shorter, or start it later the next day. it's not perfect, but I still do roughly 40 hours a week, and with the meetings in the evening, no commutes, and tossing in WFH, it allows for opportunities to take breaks that you normally couldn't do in office. Some of those breaks are very beneficial to mental health.

We've also worked harder to minimize unnecessary meetings. I flat out decline meetings that i know i'm going to sit there and offer minimal input. We've found creative ways to communicate using technology that don't require constant meetings or phone calls. We use text messages, email, Instant message chats, meetings if required and even have a team Snapchat group that we actively use for informal work discussions. The work we do is mostly independent work. We may consult others here and there, but for the most part we have individual projects, so it's easier to manage this in a WFH setting without too many meetings. You do your paperwork, analysis, presentations on WFH days, and then go into office and perform a day's work of testing and data collection.

I also realize every industry is different. I guess the way ours is set up, it's manageable. I really don't think anyone in the office other than senior management wanted to go back 100% in person. Even they fell out of favor with it when they realized we needed to expand, and a way around that was to turn cubicles/offices into lab/manufacturing space. Part of that was due to a rushed effort to expand as we actually manufacture transport containers for one of the US vaccine suppliers.

I think each company is going to have their unique situation with regards to how they operate and how they want to approach back to office. There will never be a one-size-fits-all approach.

Old 05-06-2021, 07:28 AM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post
Is it not an option to show a negative test in lieu of having the vaccination?
The state no longer requires a quarantine if you're vaccinated or have a negative COVID-19 test within 3 days of entering VT. But it looks like maybe UVM enacted separate rules for the graduation?

We've been adhering to guidelines and traveling to/from VT quite regularly over the past several months (most recently, this past weekend). It's the only state we've been to where some businesses (a couple of breweries and restaurants) have asked us to show proof of negative test and/or vaccination before letting us in. I appreciated that. RI is still good about contact tracing (haven't run into much of that here) though some of the places we've been seem like they're back to pre-pandemic levels, Maine was a lot like MA, and a gas station in NH where we stopped this past weekend we stopped into in NH wasn't even requiring masks inside. So it varies quite a bit within New England in my experience.

Old 05-06-2021, 07:38 AM

16,306 posts, read 8,126,207 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post

To me that seems wasteful to have people literally get on a plane to fly somewhere for a meeting. I could see if it was an event or conference. I would think people would prefer to stay home rather than fly to another city on a whim and be there for a week. Again if it's something that only happens a few times a year then ok...to me this is just wasting money and creating pollution.

Old 05-06-2021, 07:50 AM

779 posts, read 876,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
The state no longer requires a quarantine if you're vaccinated or have a negative COVID-19 test within 3 days of entering VT. But it looks like maybe UVM enacted separate rules for the graduation?

We've been adhering to guidelines and traveling to/from VT quite regularly over the past several months (most recently, this past weekend). It's the only state we've been to where some businesses (a couple of breweries and restaurants) have asked us to show proof of negative test and/or vaccination before letting us in. I appreciated that. RI is still good about contact tracing (haven't run into much of that here) though some of the places we've been seem like they're back to pre-pandemic levels, Maine was a lot like MA, and a gas station in NH where we stopped this past weekend we stopped into in NH wasn't even requiring masks inside. So it varies quite a bit within New England in my experience.
Interesting--I haven't really gone anywhere except to outdoor dog events (where we are all still masked) for the past few months.

The only larger event on my radar is the Westminster Dog Show next month. There are no spectators for that event, but to exhibit you need to be fully vaccinated (2 weeks post second shot) or show proof of a negative test within 72 hours of arriving. I figured most events--like college graduations--would be similar.

My niece has her college graduation next weekend, but she's in the midwest. Each graduating student can have up to 6 people in attendance. It's outdoors, but no masks, vaccinations, or proof of negative test is required. Not only is there quite a bit of variance here regionally, but clearly very, very different restrictions nationally.

Old 05-06-2021, 08:19 AM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post
Interesting--I haven't really gone anywhere except to outdoor dog events (where we are all still masked) for the past few months.

The only larger event on my radar is the Westminster Dog Show next month. There are no spectators for that event, but to exhibit you need to be fully vaccinated (2 weeks post second shot) or show proof of a negative test within 72 hours of arriving. I figured most events--like college graduations--would be similar.

My niece has her college graduation next weekend, but she's in the midwest. Each graduating student can have up to 6 people in attendance. It's outdoors, but no masks, vaccinations, or proof of negative test is required. Not only is there quite a bit of variance here regionally, but clearly very, very different restrictions nationally.
Yeah, the variation is pretty wild. A good friend of mind in the Florida Panhandle was saying that nobody is wearing masks anywhere except inside of a handful of businesses that are still requiring them (but many aren't) and capacities aren't limited anywhere (including bars/restaurants). I'm surprised that a college isn't even requiring masks for a graduation though - even if it is the Midwest.

If you're showing at Westminster, good luck! That's pretty impressive.

Old 05-06-2021, 08:23 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,401,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
To me that seems wasteful to have people literally get on a plane to fly somewhere for a meeting. I could see if it was an event or conference.
It's the events and conference which are more often than not wasteful boondoggles and an industry onto themselves. In terms of certain functions (relationship building, deal making and problem solving), face to face is invlauable.

Old 05-06-2021, 08:46 AM

16,306 posts, read 8,126,207 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
It's the events and conference which are more often than not wasteful boondoggles and an industry onto themselves. In terms of certain functions (relationship building, deal making and problem solving), face to face is invlauable.
I'm not denying that face to face is never important, it is. But to have people fly in from all over the world/country on a regular basis to have a meeting seems wasteful. If it's one, two, three times a year ok...but i would hate to have a job where I had to do that monthly or even every other month. At my last company the CEO did travel quite a bit but he was really the only one who had to do that regularly. I do think there will be less of that for quite a while. Getting in a car to drive 20 min for a meeting doesn't seem like a big deal..but getting on a plane and staying in a hotel for days, nope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts