Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2021, 07:58 AM

16,291 posts, read 8,126,207 times

Advertisements

Some people from my dept had the first in person filming interview yesterday in 15 months. They went to some location that wasn't at our office and everyone participating has been vaccinated. They wore masks and still made sure to be 6 feet apart. They were talking about it today in a meeting and it seemed like they were super careful about being 6 feet apart and wearing masks...I was kind of like, why? How do people ever expect to go back to an office normally if there was this much paranoia amongst people who have been vaccinated AND wearing masks and 6 feet apart. Someone else felt two of the people in the same room were too close together. Based on all this it seems my dept is not ready to be back in an office together anytime soon. I also realize i am just not as nervous about covid as others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2021, 08:12 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Pfizer is seeking full FDA approval for those 16 and older.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/med...BingNewsSearch

I will admit, I caught wind of this earlier this week and went and got my (Pfizer) shot. While I am far from anti-vax, I do have (unfounded) health anxiety issues so this news had a psychological effect on me that finally enabled me to go get it.

BTW. Day 3 since the shot and no side effects other than sore arm, which is now gone.

Old 05-07-2021, 08:21 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,317,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
No. People had fully remote jobs before covid as well.
Some did, but most did not. Moreover, many of those who did not suddenly think they should be. If a worker wasn't worth throwing amenities at or allowing full remote pre-pandemic, they're not magically worth throwing amenities at or allowing full remote post-pandemic. Just because these people could work remote during the pandemic doesn't suddenly mean they can demand the kinds of benefits and working situation that high-demand/high-skill workers get if they're not high-demand/high-skill workers. They can be replaced with any of literally millions of qualified workers in places like India, China, or Malaysia who can and will do the same remote work for less pay, worse hours, and fewer benefits.

Everybody is ultimately going to make their own choices, but I'm seeing a lot of Dunning-Kruger playing out where there's workers who don't even realize they're a beggar demanding choices. The only edge these workers have over cheap foreign labor is that they're local and can be in an office, so playing their hand without the only strong card they held to begin with is just mind blowing to me.

Old 05-07-2021, 08:26 AM

OMG...i get it you want to be back in the office.

Some of you will appreciate this, https://youtu.be/Gxm7Hu-IHJs

Old 05-07-2021, 08:33 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,317,904 times
Quote:

I don't think you do. I don't want to be back in the office any more than you do.

What I'm saying (and I'm not sure you're getting) is most people who don't want to go back don't have a choice. Unless you're one of those workers who could demand such things pre-pandemic, it's not going to be up to you whether you go back or not, so saying how much you think we should work from home or how much we should go back to the office is moot.

That's the difference: I'm not advocating that it's good to go back, I'm saying it's pointless to lobby for it because that decision is going to be made for you and you can either accept it or hope to find another employer who will dictate terms to you that you can live with.

Old 05-07-2021, 08:38 AM

875 posts, read 662,987 times
Quote:

wow, some things haven't changed .... you are truly obsessed with WFH.

Old 05-07-2021, 08:39 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer2 View Post
wow, some things haven't changed .... you are truly obsessed with WFH.
Im obsessed with avoiding a commute.

Old 05-07-2021, 08:43 AM

Some good news...

Pfizer hopes to file UA request for ages six months to 2 years in the fourth quarter.
https://www.aappublications.org/news...hildren-050421

Here is an update on the Phase 1/2/3 Study in Children 6 months to 11 years old

"Last week, Pfizer and BioNTech dosed the first healthy children in a global Phase 1/2/3 seamless study to further evaluate the safety, tolerability, and immunogenicity of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine in children 6 months to 11 years of age. The study is evaluating the safety, tolerability, and immunogenicity of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine on a two-dose schedule (approximately 21 days apart) in three age groups: children aged 5 to 11 years, 2 to 5 years, and 6 months to 2 years. The 5 to 11 year-old cohort started dosing last week and the companies plan to initiate the 2 to 5 year-old cohort next week."

https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-re...esults-pivotal

Old 05-07-2021, 08:43 AM

12,816 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Pfizer is seeking full FDA approval for those 16 and older.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/med...BingNewsSearch

I will admit, I caught wind of this earlier this week and went and got my (Pfizer) shot. While I am far from anti-vax, I do have (unfounded) health anxiety issues so this news had a psychological effect on me that finally enabled me to go get it.

BTW. Day 3 since the shot and no side effects other than sore arm, which is now gone.
I'm really hopeful that full FDA approval will help chip away at that ~30% who are reluctant/refuse to get the vaccine. As much this has been made into a pro/anti-vaxx debate, I think the reality is that there are a ton of people in the same camp as you. And if they're in a group with a low enough risk level (sub-50 crowd), then that anxiety might tip the scales toward "no." That's who an approval might sway at least some of. Full FDA approval will make it easier for schools and workplaces to require the vaccine.

Old 05-07-2021, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Im obsessed with avoiding a commute.
Than Hingham to Harvard hustle ain't easy.

If the uncertainty bothers you that much why not just move to an employer that guarantees 100% remote?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts