Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2021, 09:52 AM

2,321 posts, read 1,732,102 times

Advertisements

Yeah Dukes had 2 cases added yesterday. Nantucket had 0.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2021, 09:53 AM

5,975 posts, read 4,957,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
Yeah Dukes had 2 cases added yesterday. Nantucket had 0.
You proved my point. Hardly sounds like "Dukes is very high risk"

Old 05-28-2021, 10:06 AM

12,589 posts, read 21,733,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
This makes zero sense. We're one of the leaders in terms of % vaccinated, and are down to 0.8% positivity rate. Are you looking at a wrong map, or misinterpreting the data somehow?
It's largely all the same data, it's just a matter of how we qualify it vs. how others qualify it. We've seen this throughout the pandemic and even here in MA, we've had a much higher tolerance in terms of some of the numbers than other places have (especially overseas). "Surges" that triggered full-on lockdowns in other places have had lower infection rates, percent positive rates, and cases per 100,000 than we've had at points where we're rolling back restrictions. On the flip side, you get instances like Dukes where according to NYT thresholds, it checks in as "very high risk" in spite of barely registering to those of us who have endured 15 months of far more significant levels of infection in our communities.

Old 05-28-2021, 10:37 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,868,020 times
Quote:
This makes zero sense. We're one of the leaders in terms of % vaccinated, and are down to 0.8% positivity rate. Are you looking at a wrong map, or misinterpreting the data somehow?
NYT classifies risk in such a way that "high risk" is their middle category. It also states that the risk is high only for the unvaccinated.

The real issue is that "high risk" is absolutely meaningless without context. Usually when you use quantifiers like "high" and "large" its referenced to the median, average, or expected values. That's tough to do with something that is transient and also inherently challenging with risk.

I think a good metric for helping people judge risk is "how many miles would you have to drive to have an equal risk of dying". Driving is probably the riskiest thing people regularly engage in, so it's a good reference for most people. And, like driving, your COVID risk depends both on local factors and your behavior.

Old 05-28-2021, 11:16 AM

24,509 posts, read 17,967,651 times
Quote:
The NYT has anything over 2 per day per 100,000 as high risk. The Massachusetts metric is 5x higher. It didn’t used to be that large a gap. Massachusetts changed their metric. As others have written, it’s high risk if you’re not vaccinated. There are still parts of Massachusetts with pathetic vaccination rates. It’s pretty easy to get community spread in those places. The blue chip Boston suburbs? Nope. Everyone is vaccinated.

Old 05-28-2021, 12:00 PM

7,912 posts, read 7,734,621 times
Right but there can be differences between where someone works and where they live. When people get vaccinated is that counted specifically where they live or not? Medical centers are often in urban areas and I would argue that's normal operations. It's almost like inventory in retail. Yeah the computer might say you have it but it could be in a customers cart. It's not like you cross a town or county border and it goes to hell.

At this point I'm not exactly worried. I'm vaccinated (2 shots and 2 weeks+) I have a mask, sanitizer etc. Anyone close to me is in the same boat. I'm more worried about other countries at this point. I can't see flights to India starting up again any time soon. By september I'm sure we'll reach herd immunity either from the vaccines or those that recovered.

Old 05-28-2021, 05:27 PM

2,321 posts, read 1,732,102 times
Baker had a press conference today which largely amounted to a pep rally for tomorrow. We'll see how many people drop the masks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
When people get vaccinated is that counted specifically where they live or not?
Vaccine report says "County of Resident Address" so they must be tracking that.

Old 05-28-2021, 05:58 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,260,744 times
I have an appointment to get my hair cut tomorrow and I received an email from the salon that starting tomorrow, masks will be optional for anyone who is fully vaccinated.

So, I guess I'll see what happens. I think I'll probably be tempted to take mine off as I am having my hair highlighted as well, so I have to sit there for a fairly long time. We'll see.

Old 05-28-2021, 06:43 PM

15,593 posts, read 7,609,768 times
Interesting. I was thinking places like hair/nail salons would keep the mask thing going. You're in pretty close proximity to whoever is doing your hair/nails for a good period of time. I am thinking of getting my hair cut next week and I haven't had my 2nd shot yet so I'll probably leave my mask on.

Old 05-28-2021, 07:08 PM

9,909 posts, read 15,470,751 times
The email from my salon said that the stylists would wear masks, but that clients could remove them if they were vaccinated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts