Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2021, 07:17 AM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
The failed cities don’t have those vaccination rates. Springfield is at 41% with at least one jab. Lawrence. New Bedford. Fall River. All below 50%.

The only silver lining there is that a higher percentage of these cites have likely been exposed to COVID and have some natural immunity now because they weren't able to work from home for the past year and a half.

There are two big things as an aggregate holding back these areas from getting the shot - distrust among POC and no paid time off of work, particularly if you have already had COVID and don't have the time to take a day or two off if you have vaccine side effects. The latter is fixable by the state government if they really wanted to do something about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2021, 07:52 AM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
In retrospect if we had a three week lockdown in February and distributed masks and other ppe's this could have been much shorter. It would have been more like a civil defense drill from the 1960's, maybe something to tell grandkids when they are bored in another 50 years.

There's plenty of incentives now to get the shot. It's one thing to be afraid of covid but to be afraid of it *and* the shot is a bit much.

Here's a question though. If someone already had it do they get vaccinated as well? That's where I think you'll see the most resistance.

Old 06-01-2021, 07:57 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
If someone already had it do they get vaccinated as well? .

Yes, the messaging has been loud and consistent on this.

Old 06-01-2021, 07:58 AM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
The only silver lining there is that a higher percentage of these cites have likely been exposed to COVID and have some natural immunity now because they weren't able to work from home for the past year and a half.

There are two big things as an aggregate holding back these areas from getting the shot - distrust among POC and no paid time off of work, particularly if you have already had COVID and don't have the time to take a day or two off if you have vaccine side effects. The latter is fixable by the state government if they really wanted to do something about it.
I was in CA last week, and they have such a scheme. I'm surprised MA doesn't.

Old 06-01-2021, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
I was in CA last week, and they have such a scheme. I'm surprised MA doesn't.

The scheme is Federal. The Feds provide credits to businesses to provide paid time off for vaccines and vaccine recovery. It's not enough. Lots of small businesses won't figure out how to access it. Or, even if they do, they can't afford not having people work. There is definitely a roll for the states and facilitation though.

Old 06-01-2021, 10:32 AM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Ohio had a lottery to get vaccinated and it worked well. Mass might not do that but technically I don't think a local lottery would be that bad. You create the incentives for people to do it and reward someone randomly financially. Yeah it might be a quick and dirty way to do it but so be it.

Old 06-01-2021, 10:37 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Ohio had a lottery to get vaccinated and it worked well. Mass might not do that but technically I don't think a local lottery would be that bad. You create the incentives for people to do it and reward someone randomly financially. Yeah it might be a quick and dirty way to do it but so be it.
CVS is having their own such contest and give-aways for vaccination.

Of course, you don't actually have to get vaccinated at CVS to enter.

Old 06-01-2021, 10:38 AM

16,395 posts, read 8,198,277 times
I think the privileged people here don't understand that it's really not that difficult to get time off to get this vaccine from a retail or restaurant job. That is not why people aren't getting vaccinated but keep trying.

Old 06-01-2021, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I think the privileged people here don't understand that it's really not that difficult to get time off to get this vaccine from a retail or restaurant job. That is not why people aren't getting vaccinated but keep trying.

The service sector workers (DD emloyees) at the vaccine clinics at the Dunkin Donut pop up clinics I volunteered at said something very different. They only got them because we were literally outside the door and the manager felt somewhat coerced by corporate to do so. And, it isn't just about getting the shot, its about paid time off for recovery from the shot. That is the hard part.

Of course, I shouldn't listen to the people we actually vaccinated, I guess.

Old 06-01-2021, 11:38 AM

2,352 posts, read 1,780,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
The service sector workers (DD emloyees) at the vaccine clinics at the Dunkin Donut pop up clinics I volunteered at said something very different. They only got them because we were literally outside the door and the manager felt somewhat coerced by corporate to do so. And, it isn't just about getting the shot, its about paid time off for recovery from the shot. That is the hard part.
I think it's more about getting the Free PTO, essentially bribing them to get the shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts