Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2020, 05:57 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,321,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
And the goal with keeping the hospitals from being overrun is that someone in the hospital has a better chance of being kept alive than someone being cared for by their (possibly also sick) family or even worse just out in a tent somewhere. Not to mention all of those other people's lives hospitals are usually able to save.

If the mortality rate were independent of any intervention, social distancing wouldn't really make sense.
Therein lies the dilemma. It’s too soon to tell still, but the numbers suggest the mortality rate is independent of intervention. The difference is whether they die gasping at home or possibly more comfortable in a hospital bed. Hospitals also serve as a quarantine ward, but I also think its inevitable that everyone will be exposed to Covid-19 sooner or later, so even that function’s value is in slowing the rate of illness and death, not the numbers.

Should both of these come to be true in retrospect, then indeed all we are accomplishing now is keeping beds available for people to die comfortably.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2020, 05:59 PM

3,398 posts, read 1,549,967 times
dr fauci estimates 100 thousand to 240 thousand deaths by june. he is a disease expert.

Old 03-31-2020, 06:11 PM

7,241 posts, read 4,549,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
dr fauci estimates 100 thousand to 240 thousand deaths by june. he is a disease expert.
Is that world wide?

I wonder what he estimates the deaths will be from all the other illnesses that are being ignored and put off due to this panic of this. Sure glad I don't have cancer at the moment. I am sure tests are being put off and treatments are being delayed over this stupidity.

Old 03-31-2020, 06:15 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
Is that world wide?

I wonder what he estimates the deaths will be from all the other illnesses that are being ignored and put off due to this panic of this. Sure glad I don't have cancer at the moment. I am sure tests are being put off and treatments are being delayed over this stupidity.

Estimated death range in the U.S.
No comment on the rest of the post.

Old 03-31-2020, 06:19 PM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
You only pick and choose the numbers you want to discuss the day before there were only about 300 deaths so the two balanced out ... today the numbers of "cases" are slightly more than expected but there is ZERO doubling going on as every hysteric said it would.
300 --> 570 --> 811 today. "Optimistic" projections by the WH within the past 2 hrs point to 100,000 deaths--US ALONE. Why keep denying this, and hanging onto an imaginary "mid April" end to the social distancing?

Old 03-31-2020, 06:33 PM

3,398 posts, read 1,549,967 times
Quote:
Is that world wide?

that is united states prediction. just from the covid 19 virus.

Old 03-31-2020, 06:50 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
Therein lies the dilemma. It’s too soon to tell still, but the numbers suggest the mortality rate is independent of intervention. The difference is whether they die gasping at home or possibly more comfortable in a hospital bed. Hospitals also serve as a quarantine ward, but I also think its inevitable that everyone will be exposed to Covid-19 sooner or later, so even that function’s value is in slowing the rate of illness and death, not the numbers.

Should both of these come to be true in retrospect, then indeed all we are accomplishing now is keeping beds available for people to die comfortably.
Do you have any references to back up the notion that mortality is independent of intervention? That’s a pretty big conclusion. The mortality rates are significantly lower than the hospitalization rates.

Old 03-31-2020, 07:20 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Agree completely, not even saying that we should let up on the social distancing until mid April.

But come that time... people need to start going back to work.

Every business can make its decisions for itself -- hours can be cut back but no more of this... no work until May insanity.
Mid April is supposed to be the PEAK. That means the WORST. Why would they go back to work at the very same time that this is at its worse?

Old 03-31-2020, 07:25 PM

17,737 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Quote:
Yes I think the USA and MA have hit the more or less peak of cases. Last four or so days in the USA has been about the same.
Not even close. According to the experts, the next two weeks are going to dwarf what we're seeing now.

Quote:
Is that world wide?

The 100k to 240k deaths estimate is for just the US.

It's been estimated that we'd be looking at 2.2 million deaths in the US if not for social distancing and all the other measures that are being taken.

Old 03-31-2020, 07:33 PM

1,055 posts, read 1,415,487 times
There were 33 new coronavirus deaths announced on Tuesday and 868 positive tests. There have now been 89 deaths and 6,620 positive tests.

https://boston.cbslocal.com/coronavi...atest-updates/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts