Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2021, 01:24 PM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach5 View Post
The thing about lead poisening - if you look at a kid with lead poisoning and think they went on to be fine - you don't actually know that because you don't know the counterfactual. Perhaps that person, without lead poisoning, would have been valedictorian in school, been top of their grad program and revolutionized their field, instead of "just" being in the top 10% of class and in a lower ranked Ivy.
I am sure they will study covid for years to come. Looks like quite a weird disease.
True. I know someone who's a prof at Harvard, genius statistician but thinks he could have been even smarter if his mom hadn't smoked weed while pregnant. I guess you never know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2021, 04:15 PM

2,352 posts, read 1,779,566 times
Down to 94 hospitalized. I think that's the first time it's ever been below 100.

Old 06-23-2021, 04:49 PM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
True. I know someone who's a prof at Harvard, genius statistician but thinks he could have been even smarter if his mom hadn't smoked weed while pregnant. I guess you never know.
Have to say this gave me a hearty chuckle. I don't know your friend, but man, talk about typical Harvard inflated ego!

Old 06-23-2021, 05:22 PM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Have to say this gave me a hearty chuckle. I don't know your friend, but man, talk about typical Harvard inflated ego!
Oh he is...he's been a sperm donor as well because he felt his DNA and genetics just had to passed on.

Old 06-23-2021, 08:30 PM

12,426 posts, read 9,519,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I am not panicking but I also don't know what to expect. I think many are in the same boat as I am. There's just a lot of unknowns still.
I think that a good starting assumption is that what's happening in Europe is a preview of what will happen here, later. But you have to understand that conditions here may be different in myriad ways, and you don't want to try to be "too clever by half" and think you have it all figured out and can make predictions with great accuracy and certainty. You start with valid but rough assumptions for your initial estimates, and then modify/refine your understanding dynamically as the pandemic gradually reveals to you how it will behave here.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 06-23-2021 at 08:51 PM..

Old 06-23-2021, 08:57 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
In the north of England schools are closing due to COVID. They don't close early for the summer like ours do. It's mainly in the north because back when their government let in thousands or millions of Pakistanis and Indians (out of guilt), that's where they went. To the north of England where the living is cheap, much cheaper than places like London.

The government hasn't limited flights into the main northern city of Manchester. They stopped flights into London. So the northern schools have so many cases of the Indian variant now that schools have had to shut down. I'm talking about the high schools and I guess kids of that age must get sick from the variant or they wouldn't be closing. We don't have hundreds of incoming flights from India and Pakistan so hopefully it won't happen over here.

Old 06-24-2021, 03:29 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
In the north of England schools are closing due to COVID. They don't close early for the summer like ours do. It's mainly in the north because back when their government let in thousands or millions of Pakistanis and Indians (out of guilt), that's where they went. To the north of England where the living is cheap, much cheaper than places like London.

The government hasn't limited flights into the main northern city of Manchester. They stopped flights into London. So the northern schools have so many cases of the Indian variant now that schools have had to shut down. I'm talking about the high schools and I guess kids of that age must get sick from the variant or they wouldn't be closing. We don't have hundreds of incoming flights from India and Pakistan so hopefully it won't happen over here.
Err…. Far more Indians live in metro London than the Midlands. The London region is 6.6% Indian and almost half of the Indian population lives there. ~550,000 out of 1.4 million. The West Midlands is 3.9% Indian. 185,000 Indians. Your demographic comments simply don’t align with reality.

In the UK, the vaccination rate is a lot lower in the poor areas. Birmingham and Leeds, for example. The mRNA vaccines are effective against the Delta variant. Areas that aren’t vaccinated have outbreaks. It doesn’t take much of a crystal ball to predict what will happen in the United States. Vermont won’t have a Delta outbreak. Mississippi and Alabama probably will.

Old 06-24-2021, 10:13 AM

12,426 posts, read 9,519,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Err…. Far more Indians live in metro London than the Midlands. The London region is 6.6% Indian and almost half of the Indian population lives there. ~550,000 out of 1.4 million. The West Midlands is 3.9% Indian. 185,000 Indians. Your demographic comments simply don’t align with reality.

In the UK, the vaccination rate is a lot lower in the poor areas. Birmingham and Leeds, for example. The mRNA vaccines are effective against the Delta variant. Areas that aren’t vaccinated have outbreaks. It doesn’t take much of a crystal ball to predict what will happen in the United States. Vermont won’t have a Delta outbreak. Mississippi and Alabama probably will.
Fortunately for us, the whole region of the northeast has relatively high vaccination rates, 60-70% with one dose at least. Still could be a lot better than it is, but we are better off than most US states for sure. Conversely, the block of AR, TN, LA, MS and AL all have relatively low vaccination rates, 35-45% with one dose at least. They are a lot more rural than the northeast, which should help them some, but agreed, I'd still rather be up here in the coming months than down there.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/....html#by-state

Old 06-24-2021, 12:50 PM

1,055 posts, read 1,415,487 times
I've just seen a couple of news stories that are interesting. The gist of the first one is in the headline: "Nearly all COVID deaths in US are now among unvaccinated". I read it as "Wanna die? Keep on delaying your immunization."
https://apnews.com/article/coronavir...6e7354f5d5e187

Then this other one is from a TV station in Missouri, and it's pretty well written. That state has a low vaccination rate, and they're suffering as a result. A Health Department spokeswoman there said "This is the Show-Me State and Missourians are skeptical."

https://www.waff.com/2021/06/23/unva...ill-be-canary/

They quoted a resident:

Lisa Meeks, 49, of Springfield, is among those who haven’t been vaccinated. She said that she is a Christian and that God gave her a strong immune system.

"As of right now, nobody knows anything long term or short term about these vaccines because they are brand new," she said, despite months of real-world evidence that the vaccines are highly safe and effective. "And so people are now basically the lab rats."

She's not seeing herself as a lab rat that's in the control group, the ones who don't get the treatment and may get the disease. But God will take care of her.

Old 06-24-2021, 01:53 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amontillado View Post

She's not seeing herself as a lab rat that's in the control group, the ones who don't get the treatment and may get the disease. But God will take care of her.

It's always, since a pre teen, but humorous to me (in a sad, dark way), that superstitious people believe their deity/spirit that created them will take care of them, but for some reason they don't seem to believe that deity/spirit also created those there to take care of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts