Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2021, 08:11 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,413,388 times

Advertisements

Who's to say that in 10 years' time, we won't each grow an extra head? Something done in an emergency may not be done right, and with complex drugs, it's impossible to be sure. I'm wiling to accept the risk of an unknown long-term effect, but I won't deny that the risk does exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2021, 08:21 AM

16,291 posts, read 8,126,207 times
too many people think drs and scientists are gods who can do no wrong.

Old 06-25-2021, 08:23 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,918,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amontillado View Post
Who's to say that in 10 years' time, we won't each grow an extra head? Something done in an emergency may not be done right, and with complex drugs, it's impossible to be sure. I'm wiling to accept the risk of an unknown long-term effect, but I won't deny that the risk does exist.
Know one knows anything absolutely about the future. You look at the available evidence and make as informed a decision as it allows. I have yet to see someone who is vocally anti-vaccination make a compelling risk-assessment-based argument that isn't also selfish.

It's always "well, this COULD happen, we just don't know, so I'm not going to take a risk". You saw the same sort of stuff with people who didn't want to wear seat belts. They would always talk about how you could become trapped if your car went underwater or was about to explode. Yes, those could happen, but they are so exceedingly unlikely that it still makes sense to wear a seat belt.

Old 06-25-2021, 08:25 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,918,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Who? I have yet to meet someone like that. Most of the people I know are scientists of what sort of another. None of them think they are any sort of God and many admit to doing lots of things wrong.

Old 06-25-2021, 08:28 AM

23,560 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Who? I have yet to meet someone like that. Most of the people I know are scientists of what sort of another. None of them think they are any sort of God and many admit to doing lots of things wrong.
The idea was that some "people" may forget that they are human.

Old 06-25-2021, 08:29 AM

12,818 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:
Sure, nobody is infallible and everyone needs to exercise a level of critical thinking. But the knee-jerk reaction to immediately and outright dismiss/reject anything doctors or scientists say is certainly more dangerous to both the individual and society as a whole. Blind faith is dangerous, but I’d rather see blind faith in imperfect subject matter experts than blind faith in the opposition of subject matter experts.

Old 06-25-2021, 08:50 AM

12,365 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Quote:
I admit I am nervous for my kids to get the vaccine whenever it's ready but the more i hear about this delta and brain damage crap the more I'm thinking they should just get it. Speaking to pediatrician about it next week. I also know some pregnant people who decided not to get it because they're pregnant and worried what it could do to baby or them etc...and they're not far right thinkers.
It depends on the age of the children of course, but the FDA has approved the BioNTech/Pfizer vaccine for kids down to the age of 12, and Moderna has applied to the FDA for use of their vaccine in kids down to 12 as well.

Paull Offit - I won't copy-paste his bio highlights here, but he's a pediatrician at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia and a heavy hitter in vaccinology as well. See more at the following link:
https://www.chop.edu/doctors/offit-paul-a

After the approval of the BioNTech/Pfizer vaccine, he began recommending the vaccination of kids down to 12 with the vaccine, saying that the risks - from not being vaccinated outweigh the risks from being vaccinated, even for those children down to age 12. FWIW I have seen him interviewed numerous times and I think he's conscientious and he knows his stuff.

Here's some recent videos by Dr Offit - he's also Director of the Vaccine Education Center at CHP
"What Should I Know About COVID-19 Vaccine and Myocarditis in Teens?" - June 14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyZSDT4DIwU

"The latest on COVID-19 vaccines and children" (with Good Morning America) - June 13

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hcqx7t6QTQ

"When Can Children Get the COVID-19 Vaccine and Why Should They Get It?" - May 12

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln5mvnt4nyc

Old 06-25-2021, 12:01 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Sure, nobody is infallible and everyone needs to exercise a level of critical thinking. But the knee-jerk reaction to immediately and outright dismiss/reject anything doctors or scientists say is certainly more dangerous to both the individual and society as a whole. Blind faith is dangerous, but I’d rather see blind faith in imperfect subject matter experts than blind faith in the opposition of subject matter experts.
PhD from University of Chicago
Vs
PhD from listening to Howie Carr or reading Turtle Boy Blog

Hmmmmmnnnn... challenging choice

Old 06-25-2021, 12:35 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,135,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
It's always "well, this COULD happen, we just don't know, so I'm not going to take a risk". You saw the same sort of stuff with people who didn't want to wear seat belts. They would always talk about how you could become trapped if your car went underwater or was about to explode. Yes, those could happen, but they are so exceedingly unlikely that it still makes sense to wear a seat belt.
This analogy, as absurd as it may seem, is painfully accurate given the data available after 300million+ doses administered.

Old 06-25-2021, 12:47 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,413,388 times
Quote:

I don't say that, but I do say that doctors and scientists know a hell of a lot more about disease than I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts